KEA 2014 Builds

Are you trying harder, or are your expectations just higher? I usually crumble with anxiety and expectations - I focus too much on the pressure and miss the detail, or monitor progress too closely to see any improvement.

You need to take it easy on yourself.

My expectations are equal across the board, no matter what i am working on.

The pressure does kill me most of the time. I cant even sleep sometimes when i make a mistake or over anticipate something too much.

I would be fine if i didnt know i was capable of better. But i know i have done much better work. It is painful to know that i am going backwards.

I agree I like the aggressive look of your guitars and would love to have one myself (if I wasn't building). In terms of finish, if you are constantly buffing or sanding through your finish maybe you need to spray more layers, maybe 4 or 5 coats. That way by the time you have tidied up the finish it will be nice and thin. It does mean you will need a longer cure time however.

I'm about to go up now to start polishing up my new build, I've put a lot thinner coats of finish on the neck and am a bit anxious myself about sanding through.

This is the first one i have sanded through the finish on in a few years.

I dont want to spray more coats. That doesnt work with open grained finishes. If you spray more than 3, then it just looks like a badly grain filled guitar.

The purpose of 3 is to just give it enough to protect, but allow it to still look like wood and not a piece of plastic. The only reason i buffed through was because it wasnt drying on the dye, and it stayed soft. So around thecarve it buffed through.

Thanks scott. That was the first time i have attempted it. Recessing the washer makes all the difference.

I have refinished and sanded the ash super strat down 6 times now, and will be a 7th tomorrow. Nothing i do seems to work.

I tried spraying it with black basecoat instead of dying it. It would have worked, but i forgot why i hated basecoat so much. even 800 grit scratches show up through it.

So i will sand it back down again and maybe attempt one last time with dye.

After this, i am NOT using any woods that cant be easily refnished.

Rhoadsdemo002_zps40af63c8.jpg

I think I found your guitar pick! :killinme:killinme

I must say, I'm jealous of your lack of snow and lamination ideas. Any technique behind it or just "well I have some maple...and some padauk....oh look there's mahogany too! *Clamp!*

We have -15C here and about a foot of the good canadian stuff waiting to melt.

I should try my hand at a V again....my first attempt was one and what a mess that was. Freehanded routing! What a crazy 14 year old I was.

Edited by nowa90

Rhoadsdemo002_zps40af63c8.jpg

I think I found your guitar pick! :killinme:killinme

I must say, I'm jealous of your lack of snow and lamination ideas. Any technique behind it or just "well I have some maple...and some padauk....oh look there's mahogany too! *Clamp!*

We have -15C here and about a foot of the good canadian stuff waiting to melt.

I should try my hand at a V again....my first attempt was one and what a mess that was. Freehanded routing! What a crazy 14 year old I was.

Haha, i actually dont know what that green thing is.

As far as my idea behind laminating,

I have either 2 possibilities,

Extreme contrast (which this was) and something to match, which is when i use mahogany instead of the maple. And sometimes only do 2 woods, mahogany/walnut/mahogany, walnut, mahogany

It rarely snows here. Even though we are over a mile high in elevation, we are a high desert. It did snow the other day for the first time this year, but it is already gone. We are lucky if we get any kind of moisture at all, at any time of the year. The whole state is a fire hazard.