Lumi Custom 1951-5 P-bass

Again, apologies for the awfulness of the previous photos. They really understate how well this is progressing. So here's today.

Firstly, I spent an hour with the fully-shaped neck raising the grain, knock it back and bringing her up to 400 grit.

Fretwork. Going to knock the corners off a little when I do final levelling and recrowning. They feel smooth as anything as they stand so not much work is actually required.

Minor update.

This is more representative of the body colour. Not actually large flake though!

Branded "Lumi Custom". After the first real coat of clear went onto the headstock, on went the decal and the colour in the recess. A couple of mist coats sealed the decal before commencing proper coating.

Same for the back, and damn straight it was Made in Finland :-)

• Like 1

Cheers man. That's high praise given your record of putting out impeccable work. I'm vacillating over what colour pickguard to go for. I don't want to sent it too far into vintage territory, however parchment seems to be on the cards. White might be too bright and "new"? Similarly, what about white/black/white laminated? Hmm.

It's funny looking at the mockup because of how closely it resembles the real thing. Eerie.

I tell you what though. The Pau Ferro (I think I mistakenly called it Kingwood) fingerboard is a joy to work with. The only odd thing is how easily masking tape pulls out the light oiling with raw Linseed from the surface, leaving it dry. I'm sure that once I no longer need to mask up the board and it gets its final oiling, it will be a non-issue. Still, odd to see.

Hilarious. I see what you did there. Well done.

It's actually a really nice red in person. Not that kind of show-y flash-y candy red you see on some Fenders. The next one will be in a sort of vintage white pearl and I might even go for a flamed Birch fingerboard.

The next one should be nice. Won't look like a dime store Fender Mustang, were is the racing stripe?

Seriously though. I like the flake and can't wait to see a shot of it in sunlight.

The design and execution are so good I am now making up stuff to say just to be in the thread with something other than...

Awesome!

Feel free! Perhaps you can help me brainstorm the pickguard. I also need to get a 5-string B-style bridge ordered. Hipshot accidentally sent me an A-style, and given that shipping is what it is the simplest option is just to buy another one. Hell, I play 5-string enough to warrant making that A-style bridge appear in something or other....

Cheers Peter. It's refreshing to kick back and do a build which is in an established style. Most of my best work is actually in my jigs and machine setup and obviously this is never apparent in the end workpiece. My current working methodology is based around improving the durability, reliability and repeatability of my processes so making one instrument is no different to making twenty or two thousand. Wood in, predictable result out. Whilst I am not aiming to make guitars/basses as a living, my furniture and lighting prototypes are getting some heavy work when it comes to producing strict manufacturing processes. It's pretty cool to spend a few hours putting together a pin routing sled or whatever and this bass has been a nice intersection with my "day work" and what I enjoy. I suppose one could kick out a bad Fender clone in a few hours if one wished to do so. I enjoy the problem-solving part a lot more though....you know what I mean! :-D

• 1 month later...

Many apologies for the protracted radio silence. Since the summer, we have been inundated with house-hunting (part of this is to open a small video workshop for ProjectGuitar.com but more about that elsewhere), degree work and health issues (gurk!) however the bass is crawling towards completion.