"Black oil" finish?

pan_kara

Exactly my though, som sand back method. Look at the volute or around the edges and you see much brighter wood. What could be expected when sanding a bit un-even on a dark stained (or torched) surface

The heat is applied for a very short period of time so the glue counts will probably not be affected. This is an example.

Different wood scorches in different ways. A wider nossel spreds the heat more evenly and giva a smoother result.

Judging by the way the "curly" figuring looks, I'd say this is more a case of heavily applied dye that has been strategically rubbed or sanded back and then finished with oil.

Perhaps an oil based dye was used to tint the oil as well. I have successfully used transtint to color Danish oil. It takes a bit of mixing, to get it dispersed and it takes about a week to dry. At that point you can rub back the oil and take some of the color with it similar to your example and then recoat with oil and cure normally.

At least that's how it worked for me.

SR

• Like 1

I was wondering how a flame figure would respond to burning. hmm... they do call it "black oil finish" after all..

it so happens that I used up 250ml of Danish oil on necks and fingerboards (and bodies to some extent) of my first three builds and got 500ml this time, but since I managed to get hold of tru-oil I completely switched to that for necks and some bodies. Now I use danish oil almost only on fingerboards so this would give some potential use to the huge can I'm left with.. and I did equip myself with some colortone dyes recently also. hmmm....

ok. I need more scrap then... :D

It looks like my first guitar finishing project.I took a Schecter,removed the finish,and stained it with "mahogany" stain(the guitar was basswood) then wiped on Minwax Poly.It was extremely uneven and ugly,like that one.I gave it away.Soaked in more at the endgrain than the top.

After that I learned it took more to create an even stain than merely brushing it on.

• 9 months later...

hmm this looks more like the "color in pores" that some people do (Mayones also finish their guitars like that, I think the "gothic" series plus some others).

I'm not sure what combination of torching - staining - tinted oil might have been used here, havent had time to try myself yes, but it is there on my todo list for future projects.