Justin's guitar

ScottR

'Tis the plan Paulie. :)

A year or so ago, I told him if he thought he might enjoy picking and playing, I'd give him my first build. He loves music as much as I do and like me didn't entertain the possiblity of being capable of making it as well as listening to it until down the road aways. Him maybe not as far down it as I got......

Anyway he's been sticking with it and even better enjoying it to the degree that he told me he couldn't imagine any point in life being without a guitar to play. I told me that I'd build him a new and improved model should he ever reach that particular point. That first guitar is a very nice instrument......but there are quite a few things I do differently and better now.

So we've been discussing the idea and the features he'd like for a few months and now I'm preparing to start gluing some lumber together.....in just a few minutes as a matter of fact.

I am so looking forward to this one! :wOOt

SR

• Like 2

Man do I need to get a thickness sander! I felt the same way at this point in the not your mama's stat build and learned that even if you live in the fourth largest city in the county (Houston) you can't just drive to a store and buy one. And we have some serious stores.

Anyway I did not get to the glue up stage on this neck. I am close to being done prepping the glue surfaces for the neck lams.

Did I mention the neck will be black limba-Indian rosewood-black limba?

'Tis

I think that should be a fine sounding combo as well as good looking. When some of you see these pics you are going to think: I could have made 4 necks and 6 fretboards out of that timber....

Yeah, well did I mention this was for my son? I'm a fairly creative person; I can draw, paint and sculpt with the best of them, but my most creative moments were 30 minutes or so 29 years ago. Nothing you can make with your hands can compare to what you can make with your heart and soul.

I cannot tell you how good it is to be back in the garage building a new guitar.

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

Just as a clue as to how this will blend in, the body will be the same black limba with an awesome quilted maple top. I may have a hard time giving this one up.

SR

• Like 1

Mum said you are to build him a V :hyper

But he wants it to look like a Les Paul.....and sound like a Broadcaster, or possibly not your mama's strat.

I must say that is a hot looking little V on your bench though. You should probably build a little wear into that one, the old fashioned way, by playing it into shape--before you let it go.

Scott - just hurry up & finish the damned thing!

:killinme Yer' killin' me. Actually I've got a bit of time and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. He lives eleven hundred miles away and I don't think there's any chance it'll be done the first time I see him this year and there's plenty of time till the next.

I think I'll duct tape it to the damn bench while I'm working on it though. :blink:

SR

• Like 1

did you say Houston? like houston tx?

Yeah, just exactly like Houston Texas.

You here too?

SR

nah. I'm in Victoria. About 120 miles southeast. I was just wondering if we could set up a day where I could observe the building you do. its magic and it would be my first opportunity to see someone work up close.

I don't see why not. It might be a lot like watching paint dry as I do a lot of it by hand and elbow grease, but I'm sure we could discuss the hell out of things. Be forwarned, you have to be able to tolerate a lot of blues (and a few beers) to hang out in my garage.

Actually, I may get down your way before too long, as I have some family moving to Victoria this spring. Send me a PM if you're going to be up here on a weekend and we'll see how our schedules match up.

SR

Id probobly have gone with a lot of ash for that broadcaster vibe. But still. Iv played a les paul a tele a cobra & alpha custom all in the one gig & sounded like me no matter what.

Anyway. I rekon you should look into a bandsaw. I dont realy use my thicknesser. Mostly saw it then number 6 plane.

Oh I've got a bandsaw Paulie. I just had images in my head of slicing strips out for neck laminates and running them through the thickness sander and have nice uniform 1/8" strips come out the other end. Just in case I wanted to build a neck like that....which I'm not convinced I ever would. I don't build enough to justify buying one, but a guy can dream can't he.

You know when I was discussing where the tone comes from with Justin, I used almost the same example as you just did:

But still. Iv played a les paul a tele a cobra & alpha custom all in the one gig & sounded like me no matter what.

Of course I used names like Gary Moore and Mike Zito instead of Pauliemc :D, but the pricipal was the same.

We got there becasue I told him to do some research and pick out the tone he wanted his guitar to have. He said he wanted it to have a sweaty, gritty slow blues sound. So I pointed him to some videos and a bunch of sound clips from various pups. He's got it narrowed down to these two: Klein epic broadcaster-- http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-138-broadcaster-epic-series-pickup.aspx

or Klein Jazzy Cats strat set which is what is in my Not your momma's strat--

http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-207-jazzy-cat-stratocaster-pickups.aspx

He's been listening to the clips in one and thinking those are the ones and then listens to the clips of the other and thinks those are mighty fine...

Then we'll see how they sound in the wood I've got put together the way I'm going to build it. I will say that Francine --Not your momma's strat does not have a single board that Fender ever used or a Fender scale or Fender hardware. It does have those pups and pots and it sounds undeniably like a strat. There are some subtle differences but no one will ever say it doesn't sound like a strat.

If anyone wants to check out those clips and offer up recomendations, I'm sure he'd be fascinated to read them.

SR

Thanks Sancho. I think it's a good cause myself.

Im probobly gonna get slated for this. But I dont think you can go wrong with an alnico 2 humbucker, not potted, 2 wire with a nickle cover at the neck. Alnico 4 in the bridge.
4 wire versions tapped if you need single coil tones. 500k pots. Orange drop. Sorted.

That would certainly work Paulie.....but it's up to Justin. I'm getting the feeling those are not the way he's leaning. Going that way would change the hardware plan I've got in my head, but no hardware has been ordered yet. We still have to decide on the pups.

I must say, for whatever reason, I've never come across a split humbucker that sounds as good as a single coil.....maybe I should say that sounds the same as a single coil.

I'm not sure why.

SR

To get invisible glue lines your glueing surfaces must be perfectly flat. I have a smooth sheet of acrylic on a flat cast iron table top to which I've stuck sandpaper sheets. I mark the side to be glued with pencil lines and sand till they disappear.

IMG_3118.JPG

This rosewood was getting some chip out on the jointer, so another option to cleaning up the surface is to use a plane as a sanding block.

IMG_3120.JPG

The obligatory clamp forest scene.......

IMG_3125.JPG

Out of the clamps and squared up my neck blank is now a fence for a temporary shooting board to square up gluing surfaces for the body.

IMG_3127.JPG

SR

• Like 1

So after squaring up the edges and cutting the limba to width and slicing off a quarter inch of thickness, I want to finish prepping those joints for glue up I use my band saw table and fence for this.

IMG_3130.JPG

Note that the saw dust is the full width of the board. This is a good sign of a flat surface. You want to be sure to keep the same face against the fence. Switching back and forth can leave a high point in the center of your edge if anything is even a fraction of a degree off square. The edges look like a snake skin placed side by side.

IMG_3133.JPG

Good sharp corners are what you want for an invisible glue line.

IMG_3136.JPG

Another obligatory glue up shot.

IMG_3138.JPG

I put a brisket on the pit yesterday morning to slow smoke......it's high time I took it off and ate it!

SR

• Like 1