Justin's guitar

ScottR

Thanks, after a couple of tries I finally got a post going with some pics.

I may have missed it but what type of dye/finish did you use on this guitar?

The dye is Transtint from Woodcraft. I do believe it is the same thing StewMac sells under a different lable. The clear is Behlen stringed instrument lacquer--nitro.

Magnificent, Scott. Justin is one lucky chap to be getting such a beautiful instrument.

Thank you kind sir. I took this to my buddy Hook's place to let him give it a test drive. He made a similar comment.

I am far luckier to have Justin for a son. This is without a doubt my best effort to date. But I made it and gave it to him because I can.

Being the kind of person and son that Justin is......is a whole 'nother level of commitment. I'm the lucky one, and one hell of a proud papa.

SR

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations for receiving guitar of the month. There is no doubt your craftsmanship is deserving of that award and more.

I only recently got the itch to do my own build, and the only way to scratch an itch like that is to get it done. Your project defiantly provides me with inspiration, and I am excited about refining my own hard tail strat design. Thanks for that!

Cheers

Bill

Why, thank you very much WillyD.

Wow, defiant inspiration is awesome! I'm glad I could help get the creative juices flowing. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of refinements you put on your hard tail strat design. I did a stratish refinement of my own last year. I will be cool to see the tweaks you come up with on yours.

Cheers!

SR

Wow, defiant inspiration is awesome! I'm glad I could help get the creative juices flowing. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of refinements you put on your hard tail strat design. I did a stratish refinement of my own last year. I will be cool to see the tweaks you come up with on yours.

Cheers!

SR

Thanks for using my misspelling of the word definitely in your reply.... I caught it right off. I need to reconsider posting at nearly 3:00 am :blush

Legendary build.

Thanks man.

Cheers!

SR

Thanks for using my misspelling of the word definitely in your reply.... I caught it right off. I need to reconsider posting at nearly 3:00 am :blush

:D:P

I was hoping you actually meant defiant inspiration.....it's such a colorful phrase, I'm gonna be looking for a way to use it myself.

SR

• Like 1

The funny thing is, what caught me most about your build is the symmetry of the figuring in the top; usually they are negative images of each other but this manages to pull off a mirror image perfectly. Whilst the pickup config is not my thing (the only reason I didn't vote for you, sorry) the rest of the guitar is sublime. That reminds me, I need to sort out the site background image....any chance of pinging me a hires photo or two at silly resolution?

That really was a special piece of maple. It was a gorgeous billet to begin with, but there is still some luck of the draw involved as you still don't know what the figure looks like in the middle of the billet until you slice it open to bookmatch it. And that beautiful dry flat piece of wood started fighting me as soon as she was cut open; she cupped badly. It was a lot of work but worth it.

The pickup config was a bit of a curve ball huh? They sound great though, I'm really going to have to make one for me before too long.

Let me know what pics you want and I can send them on this evening. Everything I have at my fingertips has been res'd down, but the full size images are still in my camera.

SR

Totally! I think it looks great. It's just that damn site in the way. :-\

I agree. You did a banner job with the background. 'Tis the nature of foregrounds alas, to get in the way of backgrounds.

It would be much harder to read however, if it were the other way around. :blink:

SR

• Like 1

This is just me replacing more pics whilst waiting for the flood waters to recede. One thing I noticed that I had forgotten is that I carved the neck first and then fretted. Every build after this one I fret before carving the neck because I like the stability of fretting a neck with a flat base.

SR

4 hours ago, Norris said:

It's getting lots of coverage. Lots more coverage than the estimated 1,200 that may have died in the floods in Bangladesh :(

And that's messed up.

I think most of us in the states have no clue as to the degree of attention or lack of attention the rest of the world pays to what goes on over here. We can assume you get the same amount of information as we get on "World News Tonight", which is basically sound bites and short snaps of the major goings on. An the typical image image we get of ourselves from the worlds point of view is negative on balance. Of course, positive stuff is rarely considered newsworthy.:)

It is nice to know there is a bit of just friendly human interest as well.

SR

3 hours ago, psikoT said:

Great job Scott, thanks for re-uploading the pics, this project definitely deserved it. 

Thanks, This is definitely my favorite project so far. And my god, that was a stunning piece of quilt. It takes a significant amount of time to replace the pics, and I kick myself in the arse every time I discovered I placed them out of order the first time around. But, as I said, I'm finding I'm enjoying reliving the builds and discussions as I go back through them.

SR