Justin's guitar

ScottR

Oh my, look what showed up today.

IMG_3140.JPG

These top two have nothing on them other than sunlight.

IMG_3141.JPG

And this last one has mineral spirits to (ha!) show the figure.

IMG_3142.JPG

It is only just now sinking in that that beautiful face is going to get glue slathered all over it and buried inside this guitar. :wacko:

I can only hope it looks just as nice exactly halfway in.

SR

I'm guessing that set you back a pretty penny! As much as I love wood... I've never been able to let myself spring for the quilt like that (or super curl koa). Don't know why?

I can't wait to see what you do with this though! I'm a sucker for cool limba.

Chris

Yeah, that penny was detailed, polished and displayed in a jeweler's case. I would think guys like you Chris, that sell the majority of what you build, could get your money back by charging a premium for a build out of timber like this.

That won't be the case here....what I'm getting out of it is much more valuable.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it comes out myself. Everytime I peek at the mental image I have of it, I'm a little bit stunned. :)

SR

When I showed that to my buddy Hook (Skullsessions here), he took it as a given that this would be, should be, must be finished natural. I agree that it's a crime to finish most high end timber anyway but natural.......with an occasional burst. But for me figured maple is too much fun to leave natural. It would look awesome natural......but I think I would get all twitchy every time I looked at it, knowing I could have popped that figure and made it look 30 feet deep instead of just 3 feet deep.

None of that matters anyway. J is quite enamored of the classic Gibson amber with a black to brown burst. So I am going to do something that calls that to mind while still popping the figure. The bursts will be transparent enough to let all the quilty goodness show through.

SR

Yea I'm in the other camp.. to me all the variations of the classic "sunburst" and other shades of brown are the most boring finishes ever.. - personal preference. I prefer either all-natural or some funky colors. That said, I have no doubt this one is going to look mind-blowing.

Having only done 2x flame maple veneer + 1x quilt drop top so far myself, I have to say that staining maple is one of the most fun and rewarding things .. when I was doing my last blue one I was all "ok now I need to quickly do three more maple tops with all the color combination ideas I have".

Whenever I've found them to be boring it's always because they were on a boring piece of timber. I've seen them look quite striking on a striking piece of timber. I'm not much on doing traditional anyway. I'm more about doing something that will remind of the traditional but taken to a whole new point of view. RAD calls it giving a nod to traditional. So this will be giving a nod to traditional on a striking piece of wood.

SR

I don't think quilt likes me. The last billet I bookmatched opened up to a bunch of claw mark looking voids. I bookmatched this one last night and today it looks like this.

IMG_3146.JPG

That made prepping the edges to be glued together a lot trickier than it needed to be not to mention the fact that it took way longer to get it right. But I finally got edges I was satisfied with and glued it up. I cleaned up the excess glue and found a photo opportunity.

IMG_3149.JPG

Then I cut the headstock angle and cleaned it up.

IMG_3151.JPG

And routed the truss rod channel.

IMG_3156.JPG

SR

Filthy lookin quilt you have ther. Far as im concerned natural quilt is a sin against nature. It should be black blue or my own favrit GREEEEEN !

what he said

Yeah............no arguements from me.

Paulie, do you need to make yourself another green one? My memory says you ended up selling that one you built for you.

Of course my memory is a lyin' SOB on occasion. :D

SR