Justin's guitar

ScottR

Nope dont need to make another one. I got my green JS thingy back from the client (lucky he is a mate) He wanted one of the Archtops I had at the time so I traded him for it back :D

That bowing you got when you bookmatched the maple is fairly common with stupid levels of figuring. As soon as you release all of the tensions in the wood it just wants to move about all over the place. I usually bookmatch & glue in the same day.

Bandsaw it - spend 5 minits with a plane, then straight into the clamps with glue.

Thanks. Actually that headstock cut really clean on the bandsaw. I used the plane as a sanding block to clean it up flat and square and ready to get a faceplate.

SR

Yes sir that's what I meant... After seeing your pic, I used my planer with 80 grit to do the same, but for a scarf joint

There you go then......the hand plane is a multi-purpose tool! I'm glad it helped you out.

SR

Nope dont need to make another one. I got my green JS thingy back from the client (lucky he is a mate) He wanted one of the Archtops I had at the time so I traded him for it back :D

That bowing you got when you bookmatched the maple is fairly common with stupid levels of figuring. As soon as you release all of the tensions in the wood it just wants to move about all over the place. I usually bookmatch & glue in the same day.

Bandsaw it - spend 5 minits with a plane, then straight into the clamps with glue.

You traded for it back, that's awesome. I'm glad you've got your green quilt JS. It made you work pretty damn hard If I remember correctly.

I should have waited till the next day to bookmatch that board.....I cut it pretty late in the evening, I just couldn't wait to see how it came out.

cant be without a No 6 or 7 stanley bailey. just so good to have around the bench.

I have got to get one of those. I need a shallower angle for most of what I work with.

SR

Time for the headstock plate. I did not have enough left over from the fretboard to make a plate but I did have enough left over from the Indian rosewood that I used for the center of the neck lam so I went with that.

IMG_3163.JPG

I saved the off cut for a caul and pinned a couple of finishing nails to hold the plate in place during glue up.

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

After gluing up the head plate, I used my plane again as a squared up sanding block and squared up the plate edge to the fretboard surface so the nut has a nice square slot to fit in.

IMG_3173.JPG

SR

I finally broke down and bought the StewMac upgrade to their old gentleman's saw for cutting fret slots.

IMG_3170.JPG

Holy Moly is that an improvement! It is not as fast as RAD's raidal arm saw but it is faster than his CNC and it is ten times faster than that gentleman's saw.

Frets cut......clamp farm.

IMG_3174.JPG

Rough neck cut out of that huge ass blank.

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

SR

I squared up the sides of the neck and fretboard--both sides square to the board and then squared and trued up the tenon.

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3182.JPGIMG_3183.JPG

Then a cold front blew in and dropped the tempurature about 30 degrees in the last twenty minutes........which is more than enough to make me haul my narrow butt inside. :unsure:

More next week.

IMG_3188.JPG

SR

need more sleep. . .

Que paso amigo.........super long super cold winter getting to you?

Did you brew a stout just for these conditions? :barnarnar:

SR

Thankfully I already had a nice oatmeal stout brewed and on hand. I did however brew a Pliny The Elder clone this weekend. There are so many hops in this thing I am actually scare of the outcome.

I haven't had the pleasure of a Pliny The Elder, but after reading about it, finding some may have become my new mission. The thing I noticed over the past few years of west coast style IPAs is what was way too hoppy a few years ago is now really tasty to me. Your batch sounds fascinating.

SR

Hey Scott, any progress piks ?

I know me askin is a bit cheeky as I always either dont have time to upload any,

or (like i did today) I let the gitir go out without taking any :D

BUT ! still doent mean I should not give you a hard time.

So .

Any progress piks ? :wOOt

Hey Scott, any progress piks ?

I know me askin is a bit cheeky as I always either dont have time to upload any,

or (like i did today) I let the gitir go out without taking any :D

BUT ! still doent mean I should not give you a hard time.

So .

Any progress piks ? :wOOt

Yup.

SR

Love your ability to carve anything!

How do you calculate how far your radius will be, to do side dots before, and they still end up in the center?

Thanks Luis. To answer your question, I don't. I just set them about a sixteenth inch above the join and try as hard as I can to keep them straight. There is only so much room on the edge of a fretboard so they'll be in the neighborhood of centered, but as long as they are straight they'll look like they are where they are supposed to be. And it sure is easier to keep them straight if I put them in before radiusing.

That headstock carve is a thing of beauty Scott... I think if I attempted something like that it would end up like your first pic :D

Thank you sir. I got on a roll and worked right through the "attacked by a rabid beaver" stage, as RAD calls it. Oh well, there are plenty of shots of that stage in my previous threads.....

SR