Justin's guitar

ScottR

Well aren't we just a bunch of buckers of tradition! :D Thanks for your kind words. This thing still looks pretty traditional in silhouette, but it is rapidly leaving that realm behind.

I ordered me a new chair last night. And I put the old one by the curb next to the trash can to be picked up this morning. And just as I suspected, the chair was gone before sunrise....several hours before the garbage collectors come by. You never have to worry that what you are tossing out is too big for the regular trash pick up in my neighborhood. The junk collecting flea market sellers somehow see some value in everything. That is actually pretty useful. :)

SR

Love the beaver reference. Very fitting. That top is defiantly a stunner. Have you decided on a finish color?

Justin has expressed a fondness for the traditional Gibson sunburst......so we're going to give a nod to that. I'm going to airbrush a deep amber to burnt umber to nearly black burst for my sandback pop colors. Then back in with an golden orangy amber for the main highlight. Then during the clearcoating, I'm going do a hint of burst with a transparent tint of that reddish brown and again with a transparent black tint. Nothing so dense as to obscure the figure. At least that is the plan.

Imagine sitting out on the back porch and pouring a fine IPA into a clear glass and holding it up so the sun is shining through part of that nectar of the gods and only dappled sunlight as it passes through the trees showing through the other part. Those are the colors I envision.

I am sooo going to do that when I get home this afternoon. :)

SR

• Like 1

re: Photobucket rotating (or not) photos.

Images taken with most modern cameras and phones will embed EXIF information detailing the settings and methods used to acquire that image. One particularly annoying one is the rotation value which can contain one of eight settings for rotation and mirrored rotation. Photobucket will likely maintain that information with limited interpretation. Browsers can acknowledge and deal with that flag inconsistently, rotating/mirroring it to represent the image how it was taken with respect to where the centre of the earth (or nearest high-mass body) was. If you take an image with both your camera and head at 90 degrees, you'll need to compensate for the required rotation in an image-editing package or within the photo storage site if they deal with EXIF orientation settings. Some don't, like Picasa.

Damn man that's turning into something really special... The neck heel carve is awesome. I showed my son the first pic and he says "why is he doing that to that guitar he's ruining it". Showed him the last pic "oh"... <_<

Awesome work man!

HAHAHAHAHA that's funny! :D

Thanks for sharing.

SR

re: Photobucket rotating (or not) photos.

Images taken with most modern cameras and phones will embed EXIF information detailing the settings and methods used to acquire that image. One particularly annoying one is the rotation value which can contain one of eight settings for rotation and mirrored rotation. Photobucket will likely maintain that information with limited interpretation. Browsers can acknowledge and deal with that flag inconsistently, rotating/mirroring it to represent the image how it was taken with respect to where the centre of the earth (or nearest high-mass body) was. If you take an image with both your camera and head at 90 degrees, you'll need to compensate for the required rotation in an image-editing package or within the photo storage site if they deal with EXIF orientation settings. Some don't, like Picasa.

The three pics preceding the comment I made were all taken at the same location, same orientation of the subject and the camera, and same crop. The first in line was oriented as taken and the second two were rotated 90 degrees to the right. :wacko:

I'm pretty much over it. I'm getting what I'm paying for after all. If I get a surprise, I'll just say "Oh goody!" and check to see if it is my birthday. :D

SR

Coming along nicely.

How is the Balsast Point brew? I almoat got some Saturday but was seduced away by some Founders IPA.

Founders is indeed seductive. The ballast Point Sculpin is excellent and in point of fact made me think of Founders All Day IPA and Centennial both when I first tasted it. Perhaps a bit more robustly flavored than Founders. Lots of citrus, notably grapefruit, but others as well, plenty of pine, a little malty backbone for balance and a nice lingering bitterness. I tried the Big eye as well, which I found very good too. Similar flavors but rolled back a notch.

SR

• Like 1

Coming along nicely.

How is the Balsast Point brew? I almoat got some Saturday but was seduced away by some Founders IPA.

Founders is indeed seductive. The ballast Point Sculpin is excellent and in point of fact made me think of Founders All Day IPA and Centennial both when I first tasted it. Perhaps a bit more robustly flavored, than Founders. Lost of citrus, notably grapefruit, but others as well, plenty of pine, a little malty backbone for balance and a nice lingering bitterness. I tried the Big eye as well, which I found very good too. Similar flavors but rolled back a notch.

SR

Founders and Ballast Point are both excellent breweries. Drinking a growler of Stone's Enjoy By 5/16/14 Double IPA at the moment. I highly recommend any of the Stone Enjoy By's, if you have the opportunity.

Well look who came to visit! I bet that litttle girl has gotten big enough to ride bikes by now....and probably giving Daddy a good scare every now and then in the process.

I'm a big fan of everything I've had from Stone so far. I haven't had a taste of an Enjoy By yet, but I fully intend to. I will say that it pays to attend to the enjoy by dates on all the Stone brews. I've had a couple that were past and you can definitely tell the difference. The last Stone I had was on the other end of the spectrum ABV wise. It was Go To IPA session IPA, and it was mighty fine.

SR

Well look who came to visit! I bet that litttle girl has gotten big enough to ride bikes by now....and probably giving Daddy a good scare every now and then in the process.

She has gotten big. And she has a sister now. :)

She keeps asking me if she can work on her guitar with me. I think I'm going to let her go to town on the top with some 600 grit sandpaper. :)

Loving this build, by the way! Your work is always first rate, Scott.

KensleyandEllie-Easter2014_zpsf025f3ee.j

• Like 1

Wow! Obviously you do great work as well.

I haven't had the pleasure of daughters......although I am looking forward to gaining a daughter in law in a month WOOHOO! My brother always told his daughter as whe was growing up that she couldn't date till she was thirty. The day you have to start thinking like that will be upon you before you know it buddy. You may start looking at your football players from a new point of view. :D

It looks like you are going to have to get serious about finishing her guitar too....and maybe start another.

Very nice looking family Matt.

SR

• Like 1

I spent an extended weekend on Pensacola Beach, so no updates this week.

I did get half a day in yesterday fine tuning the neck join contours. I didn't take any shots so far of it, since it would be nearly impossible to see any changes and they'll show up in shots of the next stage anyway. You can feel the changes however. :)

Well............you can't :rolleyes:, but I can. :D

SR

It was indeed. I was there for a wedding, so it wasn't a typical day at the beach type vacation, but still, it's hard not to have a good time at that place. I lived there from '90 to '95 and it's my favorite place I've ever lived (Pensacola--not P'cola Beach). It was cool to go around and see the old places I used to know.

It rained 20" there two days before I got on the road and the national news was trying to tell me the town was underwater. It looked pretty normal when I got there. That one road that was pictured in all the articles was blocked off, but otherwise normal. There was one 5 mile stretch on the road to Ft. Pickens that had to have the sand graded off. It looked just like a snowplowed road - the sand is so white and was piled up along the edges just like the snowplows do.

SR