Justin's guitar

ScottR

I would dub that coloration "Magmaburst"

"Magmaburst"......not bad at all. we'll see if it lives up to that when it's all shiny and clear and all the burst layers are done.

That's looking beautiful man... What are you using for sealer and clear?

Gracias amigo. I'm using Behlens vinyl sealer and will be using Behlens lacquer next.

I normally just shoot a couple of thin coats of nitro as a sealer and whatever lacquer thinner I can get locally. Behlens insists that you must use their sealer and thinner with their nitro. I've always chalked that up to a marketing ploy, and know for a fact that you can use other brand thinners with their nitro, because I already have. This time I thought I'd try the whole package just to see if it makes any difference.

I like the vinyl sealer so far. It shows you where you missed on your pore filling job right away.....but it builds up fast and it's pretty easy to spray and sand back to fill those stray pores. Jessejames complained earlier this year that it tends to clog sandpaper quickly and that is true--if you let it. But if you keep the dust wiped out of the way and use a clog resistant paper like 3M 7X it's manageable without too much grief. I just keep a stiff scrub brush handy, and sand a bit, wipe, run the sandpaper over the brush - and repeat.

Works for me anyway.

SR

I got some clear shot this weekend and all the tint layers of burst shot. Just need to finish up the clear coats and let her hang to cure. And then the rain came, and it looks like it's going to make a day of it, so I'm probably done shooting clear today. Might as well take some pictures while I can....

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

There is no sunshine to be found, and the clear has plenty of small orange peel, and it's not even got all the clear on it yet; even so, it's still pretty reflective.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Yep, these are just gratuitous pictures, because looking at it is about all I can do just now.

IMG_3577.JPG

If I move it into the shadows, the colors change up a bit.

IMG_3578.JPG

Different angles make the quilt flip differently.

IMG_3579.JPG

Added some subtle tints to the back to tie it to the front a bit more.

IMG_3581.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Justin gets married at a mountain property in Crested Butte this coming weekend. I get to go enjoy some awesome country side, get my son married off, and pick up a lovely new daughter in law. :)

IMG_3582.JPG

The reddish area in the burst are a function of the lighting. You cannot see that at all holding it in your hands.

Likewise with this shot of the neck join; it does not have that yellowish cast. It's picking up that from the lights in the garage.

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

This was actually my reward from last week's work.....and it is one of my favorites.

IMG_3585.JPG

Huge clap of thunder just now.......I may have to grab another of those and go watch it rain.

SR

• Like 2

Why thank you Stu. As I sit here and watch it rain, I have to keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue......

I sprayed a coat of clear before I knew it was going to rain........it wasn't supposed to till tomorrow afternoon.....and now I need to order some blush remover from StewMac.

*******says to himself, patience old boy, patience********

SR

Stunning build Scott , there's not one thing I'd change on her from woods to colour amazing.

Thanks man, that means a lot.

......so holy crap dude--that avatar springs up out of nowhere! When were you planning to share that beauty with us?

SR

I sprayed a coat of clear before I knew it was going to rain........it wasn't supposed to till tomorrow afternoon.....and now I need to order some blush remover from StewMac.

I did order the blush remover and whilst reading about it I noticed it kept describing blush as moisture trapped just below the surface.....and I thinks to meself....hmmmmmm.

Nitro can skin over early and trap gasses, and in hot weather I've learned that you can help the curing process by breaking the skin and letting it breath so to speak.....so hmmmmm.

What the hell. I had sprayed this about 4 or 5 hours ago and i noticed that rubbing the blush with my finger tip seemed to reduce it a bit. So I took that sucker down and sanded it with 3200 micro mesh and then with a 3000 3M pad.This was just enough to break the surface without removing much of the nitro. And the blush disappeared. Whether breaking the surface let the moisture out or it was just a surface blemish, I don't know. But it went away easlily enough.

And sorry no pictures.

Well, this was not the way I expected to spend Memorial Day. But I must admit, I forgot how cool it was to sit under shelter outside and watch a long thunderstorm. I had some cold IPAs on hand and the stereo cranked.....and the rain was mesmerizing. My garage stereo has three pair of speakers frankensteined together with each pair aimed to bounce the sound around the garage without too much spilling out to annoy the neighbors. With the heavy rain I could crank it up....as it should be, and the neighbors still would not notice. But the wife inside does; my main pair of speakers are an old set of 3 way Sansui loudspeakers with 12" woofers from '79 or '80--back in the days when they still made equipment for audiophiles. During the height of the storm, I swear the sound waves were bouncing back at me from each raindrop: surround sound at its most sublime.

I have said before that you must educate your guitars about music like you should your children--while they're still in the womb. Justin's first background noise may have been Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and I have a distinct memory that's 28 years and 8 or 9 months old of rocking him to sleep to ZZTop's Rough Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZ03gwce_8

So when I asked him what he felt a guitar should sound like, he said....."I've always really liked that slow, warm, sweaty, blues sounds out of electric guitars."

This one of course has gotten a steady diet of blues as it's been built. My personal voodoo says you have to impregnate the guitar wood with the sound you want it to have while you are building it so it knows it and recognizes it when it comes time to play. Today it got the blues as the blues are supposed to be heard....bouncing off a thunderstorm. Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Gary Moore, Walter Trout, Mike Zito, Colin James, Doyle Bramhall and more bounced their souls off of that thunderstorm and into that guitar........man it was great.

SR

Nice dodge on the blush. This ones going to be a stunner.

Thanks John. I'm really liking the way it's coming along.

Just watch it it makes the finish pretty soft. You basically have to start the curing clock over.

I've got the stuff ordered, but unless the blush returns, I don't think I'll be needing it after all. I was really surprised at how fast it disappeared with that super fine sanding pad.

SR

Just watch it it makes the finish pretty soft. You basically have to start the curing clock over.

I've got the stuff ordered, but unless the blush returns, I don't think I'll be needing it after all. I was really surprised at how fast it disappeared with that super fine sanding pad.

SR

Sweet!

With Nitro cracking the finish is usually a good idea anyway. I usually scuff them after a few days to speed finish curing

Yeah that's a habit I picked up from some troubles you were having a few year's back. I don't recall the exact issue, but it required a discussion with your Dad to get it sorted. It couldn't out gas properly, because the temperature in your garage was hot enough to have it skin to soon.....or something like that. The fix was to scuff the surface. I thought to myself, I'll just add that to my proceedure as a little proactive step. I fugure I'm going to have to level sand anyway, if I get a head start on that it will help speed the cure and even reduce the amount of material that needs to cure a little.

SR

Damn Scott it's looking incredible man.... Have fun in Crested Butte. I lived in Colorado for seven years and spent a lot of time around that area. The Gunnison area has some great Elk and Mule Deer hunting and I spent a lot of time on Blue Mesa trout and salmon fishing... It's some beautiful country up there.

Damn Scott it's looking incredible man.... Have fun in Crested Butte. I lived in Colorado for seven years and spent a lot of time around that area. The Gunnison area has some great Elk and Mule Deer hunting and I spent a lot of time on Blue Mesa trout and salmon fishing... It's some beautiful country up there.

Thanks dude. It's hard not to love Colorado. I've not been to Crested Butte......but this time tomorrow that will no longer be true. I have spent time around Gunnison and Blue Mesa, but was not aware of the salmon. I used to spend some time south of there between Creede and Lake City. Wonderful trout streams. I always went to one and climbed down the canyon to fish below the waterfalls. Great fishing.

SR

When I was a teenager my dad used to take me up around Gunnison scouting for Elk and I always brought my ultra light rod. There are tons of little streams around there. You didn't even need bait to catch the little cutthroats, just throw in a bare hook into any part of the stream wider than 5 feet and they be all over it. The salmon in Blue Mesa res are kokanee, we routinely pulled out 10-20lbers trolling. Had a lot of great times up there!

• Like 1

Lookin realy good Scotty. I like the colour on the back in particular.

Thanks Paulie. Wow it's been a while....business must be smokin' over there. Plus baby Mac surely claims his share of Dad's time. You teach him how to finsih sand yet?

I should have known you'd notice the back, seein' as how contouring and coloring the back is one of your trademarks as well.

Scott i always love your attention to details like the recessed strap buttons.

Thanks Tim. I'm glad you're watching.

SR

Stunning build Scott , there's not one thing I'd change on her from woods to colour amazing.

Thanks man, that means a lot.

......so holy crap dude--that avatar springs up out of nowhere! When were you planning to share that beauty with us?

SR

Haha ... I think I'll take you up on that comment you made in GOTM and stick up a tread on the build of the guitar in my avatar.....