Justin's guitar

ScottR

Top notch Scott... Top notch :D

One thing I don't quite get is recessing the strap buttons... I would think you'd want the strap out away from the body a bit to avoid rubbing into the finish, especially on nitro... IDK what the purpose is I guess...

That's a thought.....I hadn't actually looked at it that way. They're not recessed very deep. Actually two things caused me to start recessing them a little. My buttons always go on a curved surface. I didn't like the little gap left under the edges where the body curved away. Then on the F-hole guitar, the location of the button on the horn and the angle of it caused the lip of the button to have a significant gap. I ground the base of the button into the correct angle to make it sit nearly flush--flush enough to not see the gap anyway. But I learned something else. The body wood was Spanish Cedar which is faily soft. The lack of a good seat allowed the screw to wobble a little and it ended up pulling out. Easily fixed but since then I have recessed them slightly and created a flat surface to seat the button against. That is much more stable against the angled pull of the strap. And I don't have to see those little gaps.

SR

Holy christ man. U batshit crazy sonovabitch. Luv d volute.

I have to tip my hat to you man. Its been years since i saw a guitar i wish i had built. U just made my day - and the fookin gitir aints even finished up yet

Awesome. That made my day too. Give Mum me luv.

SR

I picked up StewMac's feeler guage clamp set up that is supposed to help you from cutting your nuts too deep.....because I have a problem with that.

IMG_3698.JPG

But I could not clamp it right up against the nut because of the volute.

IMG_3700.JPG

The feeler gauges were still useful. I just had to hold them in place with my fingers.

Nut's done, at least up to the setup stage.

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

SR

Thanks guys.

Muzz, the tele harware on an LP-ish shape was Justin's idea, and damn if he wasn't right! Baby looks good with all that gold bling. Actually, he knew he wanted that silhouette and he liked the sound of that set of pick-ups the best of everything he'd listened to.

This was the result. Keep your fingers crossed for sound bites.....my buddy with the studio has discovered the joys of the open road on his Victory. The studio often waits for him to come home.....

This little girl goes to a new home in three weeks. I'm going to have to set upsome visitation rights. :)

SR

• Like 1

Wow, most of my working life was as a geologist (before that stopped paying). That top reminds me of hot lava. You have surpassed yourself on this one. If you had asked me before I would have laughed at that idea. Wow! If I win the lottery I am commisioning a bass. Have you done a bass?