2-way blade switch?

DC Ross

I'm not aware of a 2 position blade switch (I assume you mean Strat or Tele style) out there.

In the past I have modified 3-way blade switches by bending the contacts around to change the switching pattern, or reduced a 5 way switch to a 3 way switch by swapping out the position stepping plate. You may be able to modify a 3-way blade to two positions by doing some kind of mod to the step plate, filling in the middle position ratchet with epoxy or something so that the mechanism slips over the middle position. But you'll have to disassemble the switch and find a way of re-assemblilng it afterwards, and it may not be very robust in the long term.

Any aversion to using a different switch altogether? Slide toggle? Rotary? Or using a three way switch and only wiring positions 1 and 3?

Coil guitars offers a 2 blade system. The Jacob's Ladder® model gives musicians 22 unique sounds, but combines a three-way switch with a five-way switch to make 15 of the 22 tones available at play time. I have one of the switching systems, but Ive never installed it. It looks interesting. Their website is pretty sparse though:

http://www.coil-guitars.com/html_version/

http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/print.cfm?articleID=1925

Thanks for the replies, guys. This client is looking for a tele-style, 2 position switch which doesn't look like it exists. Super basic, forward for the neck pickup, back for the bridge, with no in-betweens. The feel of the blade switch is pretty radically different from the normal 2 way mini switches that we all know; it's a beefier feel that the client wants.

i have not seen any thing like this, however i have modded many switches to do similar. the older carvin five way switches were easy enough to drill out and sturdy enough to put a mini bolt and nut on it to hold it together. i always went more positions made a six way. but you could do less with ease.

i might have one of the switches here at the shop. how soon you need it

shoot man i am off this weekend for my birthday if i still have it you can have it.

i found one but it was boogered up so i ordered one. i need a new six way anyway so they should be here in a couple of days. i tried to get a real fender blackmoore switch but no luck

switch should be here thursday. i will probably make a tutorial if anyone is interested

Photos it is, my roomie us going to video all of it. I will grab some good pics off of it. I hour this switch is as easy as my other one. They quit making the carvin one I use to use. Will find out tonight if it came

long work week, just got time to post about it. its going well i documented the disassembly process. its completely disassembled now, and i am fixing to start the cutting proccess. will keep you updated and then i will upload vid