Guitar Of The Month vote - April 2014

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Need another peek at this month's entries? Click
This thread and poll automagically close on the 1st April 2014.

The winner of each month's Guitar Of The Month gets front page placement on the main ProjectGuitar.com website, a photo feature on our Facebook page and as the default site background photo! Good luck to all of this month's entrants.

What does everybody think of the entries this month?

killemall8, "Bubinga EXP custom" - Excellent execution as always. I like the shape. Very nice details with the different layers. Good wood choices.

Wix, "Rocker" -- Telecaster. Rocker. I get it and I believe. Looks

bigdguitars, "Maple/Walnut Firebird" -- Lots of good wood there. It looks to be a good design and well implemented but not in love with the cutting board look. It is a bit too busy for me. I have to build a firebird at some point.

demonx, "Wartorn SS6" -- Looks like a guitar I would play. Not the biggest fan of the branded logo but on this one it really works. If they were in a pile I would have trouble not carrying this one off. Inspired me to start a basic workhorse.

Technology4Musicians, "H851" -- I like the design. Doing something new looking in the headless realm is hard. Getting the balance right is important. I like the curves they work for what it is. Disappointed with the bolt on neck. But that is just me not liking bolt on necks. Everything else was well done.

RestorationAD, "Blackguard" -- Not in it to win it.

killemall8:

First of all, I hate TOM bridges, I think they have the ability to make the highest end guitars look like $100 pieces of chinese crap. Obviously your build doesnt look chinese, but I'm sure you get my meaning. All the workmanship looks great, your spin on the timeless shape works well and it looks like an all over great guitar I'm sure many out there would love to own.

Wix:

Can't tell much from the pics so cannot comment on build quality. It does look like the bridge pickup is slanted, not sure if thats gunslinger intentional or not.

bigdguitars:

Looks like you have a lot of time in this build, I know this as I've made chopping boards before. Sounds harsh I know and RAD has already made a comment on the same lines, but I'm sorry, everytime I see a lam guitar like this thats what it looks like. All that aside, the craftsmanship looks great, the fingerboard and the position markers look great. I'm sure you're proud and you should be.

demonx:

I chose this guitar as I didn't think anyone would vote for it. Rad commented on the branded logo, well, I just wanted to try something I had never seen done before, but apparently I'm not the pioneer in this area I thought I was as the place I had make the branding Iron told me they'd also made one for Fender.

Technology4Musicians:

Soooo not my cup of tea but there is a big place in the market for these sort of builds and I'm sure this would do well in it's own scene. All work looks flawless and I'm sure it's already sold.

RestorationAD:

You don't need me to blow smoke up your arse, we both know you build great guitars. Pretty sure I've told you but I'll say it again in case I forgot, a couple guys local to me (one I just hired as my new "New Guy") have both played a build of yours whilst they were on tour and both said it was great.

killemall-- This build is an excellent representation of what we’ve all come to expect from you: flawless execution, beautiful well matched woods, and a version of the explorer shape that you’ve truly made your own. One day I’d love to see that you’ve developed a custom shape that’s completely your design.

Wix-- This looks to be a very nice tele though as has been mentioned it is tough to make out the details. The black headstock cap is a nice touch and I love the trans black finish on the top, but unfortunately the wood peaking through is a bit plain. I’m fascinated by the look of those pick-ups; I’d love to learn more about them.

bigdguitars-- That is quite a display of beautifully finished woods and craftsmanship. It is a bit busy though. I’d love to touch it and turn it about in the light and see all the figure dance.

demonx-- That is a warhorse. You said you didn’t enter it to win, but it is obviously a high end quality built guitar. I’d recognize your guitars anywhere and they all deserve to be the number one exhibit in a this is how it’s done lecture. And those Kahlers you always use look like they were designed for your guitars especially.

Technology4Musicians-- This guitar pulls me in two different directions. On the one hand I have never seen a headless that didn’t strike me as awkward and alien looking. Sorry but that goes all the way back to when Mike Rutherford started playing one. On the other hand, I’m a huge fan of artistic creativity, and this design is just dripping with that. Great balance, smooth flowing lines in 3 dimensions and beautiful craftsmanship. Nice job!

RAD-- I know this started as an experimental prototype, but the thing just oozes mojo. It really wants to be pine. The lumber stamps worked into the design are awesome. I’m betting there is a whole new customer base out there for you, dying to get their hands on one of these.

SR

I will try to give my opinion. It's not easy because not all of them are compliments, but anyway... XD

killemall - A masterpiece in terms of quality. However, the general look is too sophisticated for me. Regarding to explorers, I only like the gibson model. Also the wood choice is not my favorite. I would love to see some indoor shots of your builds, I think the direct sunlight + grass background combination does not help.

Wix - I guess that is a great guitar, but it has anything special for me. Maybe this month is harder than others, so many beauties...

bigdguitars - Looks very well executed, but aesthetically, definitely not for me.

demonx - Simply brutal, it probably deserves a win... I didn't voted for it just because it has only one pickup.

Technology4Musicians - I love that headless, not sold on the top carve though. But looks fantastic! It deserves a win, but in a headless forum... XD

RAD - I was some days trying to find the way to tell it, but Scott finally beats me the words... love the body shape, specially the lower horn. I think I could be inside that customer base...

I can't judge my own build so I try to comment the others. Nothing to say about craftmanship. All builds are really awesome. I can only express an opinion based on my personal taste.

killemall - that neck is wonderful. I don't like the wood choice for the top. Excellent quality. It's a great personal interpretation of a classic but I've never been in love with explorer.

Wix - I love teles and 2HB is my favourite combo. Photos probably do not do justice. It's a great and well built guitar but maybe not too special in this contest.

bigdguitars - awesome execution. Incredible attention to details. I don't like too much laminate guitars: this is the only objection that I can do.

demonx - fantastic. I'm a huge fan of jackson style guitars and those with one pickup in particular. This is probably the one among other five that I would to play. The only thing that I don't like is the kahler bridge: too heavy and massive.

RAD - as I said earlier I love teles. It's very difficult to make an original version of it. You've done it. There is something in your body design that don't convenced me at 100% but that reverse headstock is simply amazing.

I have always wanted to re-envision a Telecaster in a more modern package. WezV an AndyT have done some great Telecasters over the years and I wanted to take a swing at one. Yes Scott I have a few orders because of this build... funny enough in 7 and 8 string versions (crazy metal kids).

Guys thanks for the compliments. I like the feedback from peers better than family members or "guitarists" (ie: meat head string jockeys). It validates the work I put into my designs. And please don't worry about my feelings...

What do you mean, "I hurt your feelings"?
I didn't know you had any feelings.

--Dave Mustaine.

Designing fresh things is hard. That is why this months entries are so cool.

We have a great example of a custom shop explorer/destroyer, a solid workhorse super strat that a major company would be proud to have in their line, a new to us yet classic looking headless design, and some crazy telecasters.

Allan I am pretty sure that workhorse of yours should become a standard model. Add a second pickup for an extra $200 and call it a day. Line them up and knock them down. I would pay for one of those over anything from a box store any day.

Luis that explorer is awesome. Start making them in 7 and 8 string models and advertise on sevenstring.org and they will fly from your shop.

Alberto make another one of those headless with a set neck and you will have a real winner. Just kidding the bolt on neck makes a lot of sense for traveling musicians. Keep it up.

To everyone else your guitars are great and we need more guys like you on this forum. Thanks for helping keep this thing going. I get inspired by the work I see on this forum all the time.

A very interesting month. A very wide variety of builds!

Wix- I am pretty anti tele on any level, with very rare acceptances. This one was just a little too plain for me. Looks well made, nice finish. Just a bit too standard for my liking.

Big D- Very well made guitar. Not too big on the shape, and as mentioned, a little too busy. A few less laminates and it would be a great looking guitar to me. Those gearless tuners are pretty cool!

Demonx- Another solid, brutal guitar. As cool as it is, it has become a little too "standard", but it has a really great theme going on.

RAD- It takes a LOT to make me even kind of like a tele style guitar. But this one is just so different and out there, it impressed me enough to get my vote. I didnt think that headstock was going to work with it, but i think it looks good with it. All of it looks so perfect and precise as well.

Good month, everybody!

I was torn between killemall8's "Bubinga EXP custom" and Technology4Musicians's "H851". Being a sucker for headless guitars, I voted for T4M's -- Good thing, I tied it up. The only critique I have is the read strap pin looks like it would interfere playing seated in a Classical position. Switch to a recessed strap lock, and you've got a totally winner.

Ray

The only critique I have is the read strap pin looks like it would interfere playing seated in a Classical position. Switch to a recessed strap lock, and you've got a totally winner.

Ray

No, it doesn't interfere but recessed strap lock is a great idea. I've seen many of you use them for your builds but I couldn't find them anywhere. Now I've just googled "recessed straplocks" and magically they have appeared. Thank you, they will be probably in my next builds.

RAD- It takes a LOT to make me even kind of like a tele style guitar. But this one is just so different and out there, it impressed me enough to get my vote. I didnt think that headstock was going to work with it, but i think it looks good with it. All of it looks so perfect and precise as well.

Funny cause I voted for your Explorer...

And as for precise. There is a giant ding on each side of the body were it fell off the bench. Look at the pickguard as the ding lines up with the screw on the treble side. If you draw a line you can see where the ding is on both sides in a line. I was mad but laughed because I was going to relic it anyway. Rather than fix the dings by steaming them out and filling I left them and shot clear anyway.

You can see it better in this picture. It was right after I fixed the silly carve idea I had...

IMG_20131110_141336_zps4c91915d.jpg

Then as it was drying I watched this mosquito looking bug hover over it... I looked at him and said "If you land on it I am spraying over you" sure enough he landed right in the tacky nitro, rolled over on his back and spread his wings. I shot 2 coats of clear right over him... looks like a fossil now with the amber tint on him. If you look at the bottom right near where the strap jack is you can see a little black dot.

IMG_20131117_131513_zpsf5f29d0a.jpg

That bug is serious juju. You are going to have to include a clear coated skeeter bug in every one you sell to maintain the voodoo......

SR

If I keep spraying outside that shouldn't be too hard. Now getting him to land dead center might be tricky...

I think there is a skeeter in my beater strat I built as well.

A tough crowd. I've been posting there for a couple years now and have still not sold one guitar through that site (that I know of).

Start making them in 7 and 8 string models and advertise on sevenstring.org and they will fly from your shop.

I always love entering never know who says what. I thought I had it this month, but I am a huge fan of a firebirds and old mahogany boats...

thanks for the nice comments, glad to get one more vote other that mine... HAHAHA

Normally anything mainstream wins these contests, like Tele's and Les Paul's that have figured timber and mainstream style hardware (pretty much the opposite of anything I build!) I cannot remember anything oddball ever winning.

Also, as a general rule, if you think you're going to win, you won't!

The background story and circumstance behind a build has about the same weight as the eye candy. Your Blackguard is a curveball from the standard. Technology4musicians' guitar is a departure. Killemall8's EXP is a tried and tested design that appeals and has the flash. It's weird because I thought DemonX's would take the share.

It's weird because I thought DemonX's would take the share.

It's strange thing for you to say as I posted that one to "make up numbers" thinking no-one would vote for it being its pretty ordinary (spec wise), not flashy enough timbers and certainly too "metal" to win a comp like this, I was kind of right.

Story matters usually.

If you really want to win enter a Blue guitar.

I did the same. After last month I was determined not to let us only have 2 guitars to vote for.

I think DemonX guitar is right on the cusp. We are pretty diverse here. A more "metal" crowd would vote on it more.

I have sold a few through that site. Mostly 7s but a few 6s. Once I get this 8 string model straight I expect to generate some sales from them.

Your guitars have to fit the trend to get interest from there. So sometimes I get tons of requests when the thin basic guitars are in and sometimes I get nothing when the crazy inlay heavy fancy guitars are in.

Build an 8 and it will sell. Promise.

A tough crowd. I've been posting there for a couple years now and have still not sold one guitar through that site (that I know of).

Start making them in 7 and 8 string models and advertise on sevenstring.org and they will fly from your shop.