Kingravi 7-string custom build

Already revealed the beginnings of this latest commission, but for those who haven't seen it, here's a reminder...
05_fboard_neck-lams_body_zpse6632329.jpg
Mahogany body, five-piece Mahogany/Wenge neck, Ebony fretboard, Original Floyd Rose, EMG 81-7 (bridge), Schaller machine heads and natural (Tru-Oil) finish.
Started work on the neck today - the laminates are sized up and glued...
08_neck_laminates_ready_for_gluing2_zpsd
09_neck_laminates_glued_zpsbed7c9b0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wrong choice of word; odd would be more appropriate. 17" is a strange value considering that you'll normally see 16" and 20" either side of that. Perhaps it is a Metric equivalent?Wondering how you're dialling that radius in....do you CNC your own radius blocks or are they off-the-shelf?

Wrong choice of word; odd would be more appropriate. 17" is a strange value considering that you'll normally see 16" and 20" either side of that. Perhaps it is a Metric equivalent?Wondering how you're dialling that radius in....do you CNC your own radius blocks or are they off-the-shelf?

I got ya, no problem.

My client wanted a neck that closely resembles an Ibanez Wizard (430mm radius). This is the closest I have, just 0.1" out.

I sanded the radius in using off-the-shelf blocks.

Makes sense. I couldn't recall Ibanez' specs off the top of my head although I did convert 17" out to Metric to see if it looked "familiar".

Perhaps you should have pushed a 26-1/4" scale on the guy. That's my favourite Metric scale of the beast and the same one I used on my favourite 7-string. I would consider it "a trademark" of sorts if only I weren't groovy and a believer in propagating ideas instead of hoarding them. :-)

• Like 1

Makes sense. I couldn't recall Ibanez' specs off the top of my head although I did convert 17" out to Metric to see if it looked "familiar".

Perhaps you should have pushed a 26-1/4" scale on the guy. That's my favourite Metric scale of the beast and the same one I used on my favourite 7-string. I would consider it "a trademark" of sorts if only I weren't groovy and a believer in propagating ideas instead of hoarding them. :-)

26.25", that's a new one.

I did suggest using a longer scale length, up to 27". The customer initially requested 26" before taking it back down to 25.5".

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, some time has passed and due to lack of camera for the past week, I've been unable to update my online threads with any progress shots. Therefore, we jump straight on to the current state of this particular build.
Nearing completion, all routing work is now complete and I just have to finish off the neck/join carve which is at a rough stage at the moment. All bar some inlay work on the headstock, this build is almost ready for final sanding and some oil.
Front hardware cavities routed...
44_front-hardware-routs2_zps6871a066.jpg
Rear cavities...
45_rear-hardware-and-elecs-cavity-routs_
With covers...
47_rear-cavity-covers_zpsf6f488c0.jpg
Original Floyd 7-string and EMG 81-7 test fitting the routs...
48_hardware-fitting_zpse5665dcb.jpg
  • Like 3