Project Wonky Frets and Racing Stripes

Thanks chaps. I think the multiscale board is going to be surprisingly easy to adapt to. The few minutes I've spent "miming" on the unfinished guitar feels pretty natural compared to perpendicular frets. The difference in the two scale lengths is only 1", so it's not overly skewed at the lower registers.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting dangerously close to wrapping this one up. Just need to do a trussrod cover, finalise shaping the nut and let it bed down for a bit. 'Scuse the image quality - indoor lighting in the middle of winter aint that great for pictures:

20140720_171154_LLS_zps14143688.jpg

20140720_171301_LLS_zpsba79a928.jpg

20140720_171607_LLS_zps65004771.jpg

One thing I've noticed from the brief play I've had of the guitar in its current state is that these ABM saddles are going to need some notches filed into the tops. The breakpoints of each saddle is flat across the full width, and there's nothing to prevent the string from moving laterally. Any string bends on the upper registers tends to make the strings roll sideways across the saddle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers, Carl. ABMs were sourced from Thomann.de. After the currency conversion and removal of VAT it worked out at about 14 Euro per saddle (about $21 AU in my coinage) - cheaper than anywhere else I could find them. About the same price as the new Hipshot Solos, but the ABMs are definitely the prettier unit. I've got another set of six on their way to me right now for another project. Let me know if you need any specific measurements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...