Project Fast LP

I have always wanted a LP just never wanted to shell out the kind of cash to get a nice one. So why not do a kit build?

Enter Fast Guitars.

Kevin at Fast Guitars builds very high quality kits for a very reasonable price. You can check out his website here http://www.fastguitars.com

I was ecstatic when I was given the chance to review a Standard Kit Carved Top SC from Fast Guitars.

Kevin and I shot some emails back and forth then decided on the final specs.

Here are some shots as it was being built at the Fast shop.

DSC_0217_zpsb8b2304e.jpg

DSC_0218_zps93e97fe3.jpg

DSC_0221_zpse9b017f7.jpg

DSC_0222_zpsdd049175.jpg

I guess I should cover the specs for this one.

Black Limba Body and Neck

Ebony fretboard and headplate

Flamed maple top with character.

24.75" Scale

Jumbo Jescar frets

I specifically asked Kevin to find a top with a flaw or two in it. You guys who know me know I like tops with character. Kevin found a great top with some exciting color and a little bit of character for me.

I am not sure what else to say other than... yes it is awesome.

IMG_4052_zps08cdd6ba.jpg

Body specs:

2pc Chambered Black Limba body

2pc Solid Maple cap

Standard LP switch and control routes

Routed for 2 humbuckers

Wiring channels and jack hole drilled

Drilled for TOM bridge (7/16" posts spaced 2.875" apart) and stop-tail (7/16" posts spaced 3.25" apart)

Neck specs:

1pc Black Limba neck

12" Radius Rosewood fretboard

Trapazoid inlays

Dual action truss rod

22 Jescar Jumbo

4.4 degree neck angle

13.5 degree headstock angle

Maple headstock veneer

10mm tuner holes

60's slim "C" neck back profile. (.8" @ 1st / .885" @ 12th)

Yeah I am gravitating towards a Trans Black with distressed nickel hardware.

I have a set of Diablo HBs for it. Sweet ones all vintage PAF materials. And a set of unfinished nickel covers that I am going to use.

As for the bug I am not sure they are kinda random. I plan on using the precat Mohawk Lacquer so we will see, spiders seem to like the smell of it. I am assuming the bug will be seasonal as I plan on having this thing in finishing in a few weeks.

If I go nickel the hardware will be all Tone Pros. If I go black the tuners will be lockers from ALLPARTS and the rest will be Tone Pros.

Of course switchcraft and bourns for the electronics. I am a sucker for bourns stuff as the rep for my area is a fun girl to have drinks with at gutiar shows!

Are the Diablos the all made in USA components, zebra bobbined set you pictured a little while back?

SR

You know it.

BTW the guy I built the set for originally sent me an email the other day telling me how awesome they sound in his SG. I had to build him a new set because the US made baseplate was steel and was missing the threads on one leg and one of the Butyrate bobbins deformed a little in the hot wax...#3-48 tap in the screw mount and a nickel cover and they are all good now

You know that deep down inside this one is yelling "TRANS BLACK AND GOLD HARDWARE!" ;)

That does it. You are out. Banned for life from my threads. No GOLD HARDWARE EVER!

On a more serious note: I'd love to see a lemon drop on that one. Given there's a little yellow tint in the limba, it would be nice to reflect that in the top.

It is killing me trying to decide. I am torn between something seriously mean (Trans Black w/Nickel) and something that would be vintage sweet (Lemon Drop w/Nickel)... and of course Lemon Drop with Black Hardware would be sick. But I have a lot of lemony orange bursts running around. It seems like that is all I ever do (except for the neon).

• Like 1

I would love to see trans black with black hardware.

Yeah I thought about it but it might be too much black. The unfinished nickel covers are a must they look awesome. So I am going to go that route. I might buy both bridge sets and then do a photo shoot with black vs nickel and we can vote...

Man, you just have to get some audio files of your pick-ups--both for your site and to share with us here.

SR

I wish I knew someone who had my pickups who would do that for me. ;)

Well, I have posted clips from the ones I have here:

and here:

and here:

Some of the playing is suspect, and these are A4-PAFs in the F-hole guitar and P90s in the single cut, which are more vintage saounds than your Diables, Whiskeys and Dirts but folks can get a taste anyway.

SR

Man, you just have to get some audio files of your pick-ups--both for your site and to share with us here.

SR

I wish I knew someone who had my pickups who would do that for me. ;)

Well, I have posted clips from the ones I have here:

and here:

and here:

Some of the playing is suspect, and these are A4-PAFs in the F-hole guitar and P90s in the single cut, which are more vintage saounds than your Diables, Whiskeys and Dirts but folks can get a taste anyway.

SR

Forgot about those. Can I use them? If so I will post them up on my blog as well.