Project Fast LP

Oh... about the pickups. I think I am going to go without pickup rings on this one. The routes are really clean and pretty tight so I am going to come up with a mounting system like I used on the Zero.

Gotta say I was expecting that one......

Pretty sure touching a pick up ring would burn your fingers.

:D

SR

You guys sometimes look like teens choosing clothes and jewelry for a party... XD

You are funny.

And your English is bad. <_<

Kidding aside. :angry: This is serious business. I only get one Black Limba LP and I want it right... you must respect the wood.

spffft! I just remembered I can build one whenever I want. :party

Hey RAD - what's going on with the headstock? Is that a laminated section on the leading end? Frankly I was surprised at the size of the block used to make one neck given the waste and I'm more surprised to see that there's a small scarf there anyway. Or is it?

Black limba is not available commercially in larger than 8/4 so there is a small scarf on the headstock. Kevin explained that this is only in Black Limba and that none of the other species he offers have a scarf like this. As you can see it is well executed.

IMG_4079_zpsa2544728.jpg

IMG_4080_zps2ac673c2.jpg

IMG_4081_zps257e240b.jpg

IMG_4082_zpsc6570ea8.jpg

Yeah, that's a scarf on the end of the headstock.

Only happens in Black Limba. Can't get it thick enough. I know this for a fact as it has been hard for me to source Black Limba in general. I can never find it in anything other than 8/4 and 4/4.

Kevin is using a 13.5 degree headstock which is still shallower than the 17 degree that Gibson is known for. Still it will not fit in an 8/4 block. If he reduced the head angle to 9 degrees like Carvin does it might fit but personally I don't mind as I would rather have the steeper head angle. I like the string tension it provides. I usually use between 12 and 14 degrees myself so he shoots the gap perfect.

Stands to reason. I presume that because of the high dependence on CNC, adding in the additional steps of an entire headstock scarf would be inefficient and raise costs. I've snuck a look at your photos and I'm genuinely impressed with the level of product they're putting out at that price point.

Stands to reason. I presume that because of the high dependence on CNC, adding in the additional steps of an entire headstock scarf would be inefficient and raise costs. I've snuck a look at your photos and I'm genuinely impressed with the level of product they're putting out at that price point.

I can live with it on the tip. I would consider scarfing in the middle of the headstock bad form on a LP clone. Gibson is not a scarf company. AFAIK even the 70s maple neck LPs were one piece.

You guys sometimes look like teens choosing clothes and jewelry for a party... XD

You are funny.

And your English is bad. <_<

Kidding aside. :angry: This is serious business. I only get one Black Limba LP and I want it right... you must respect the wood.

spffft! I just remembered I can build one whenever I want. :party

But you already decided, master. A trans black with nickel hardware would be awesome but trans black with aged nickel would be ****ING awesome! The only con I see - and it's only a personal opinion - is that double elliptic grain in the top. But I'm pretty sure you'll get a masterpiece of it, no matters which CNC made the instument. So who cares about the finish...

But you already decided, master. A trans black with nickel hardware would be awesome but trans black with aged nickel would be ****ING awesome! The only con I see - and it's only a personal opinion - is that double elliptic grain in the top. But I'm pretty sure you'll get a masterpiece of it, no matters which CNC made the instument. So who cares about the finish...

You are right. I will build two. That way I can have the transparent black aged nickel and a lemon drop yellow black hardware thing...

The tenon is a bit different than a traditional LP tenon. Kevin explained that his update to the traditional tennon allows it to be fully CNC machined resulting in a more repeatably accurate connection than a joint that is cnc-cut then chisled/filed/sanded to fit.

IMG_4083_zpsd62e3402.jpg

IMG_4095_zpsed180aee.jpg

IMG_4096_zps5284eaa0.jpg

You can see here where the CNC took a little bit more than it should have getting into the fretboard. I have run into this myself when the tool flexes as it makes a cut. As the bit angles the leading edge digs a bit deeper than intended. So even if everything was setup perfectly square you get a hair deeper cut.

IMG_20140608_115543_zpsohepxlkc.jpg
IMG_20140608_115608_zpsdjx6fbvf.jpg

IMG_20140608_115612_zps6dpchdp5.jpg
IMG_20140608_115643_zps7wbsvlg6.jpg