Project Fast LP

• 2 weeks later...

Headstock stickers

IMG_20140705_161615_zps228b7727.jpg
Disaster. The gun spit on the last coat and made two little dibbles. When I hit it them with the sand paper both chipped out leaving a really small spots with maple showing. So in order to fix them I put a small bit of black on a toothe pick and dabbed it on the spots. Next I sanded them a little to get them down. It was still a very obvious fix. I tried to hit it with a shot of Flattner and then it happened... I must have used a little too much flattner as it caused the finish underneath to buckle causing a wrinkle in the burst.
Livid I had to walk away. Nothing I would do at this point will save it. Probably make it much worse. Anger and paint do not mesh.
IMG_20140706_122901_zps9e994b09.jpg
IMG_20140706_122908_zps6559bb26.jpg
IMG_20140706_122914_zps421c02e0.jpg
IMG_20140706_122926_zpscf93179e.jpg
At this point I am not sure what to do. I may see if I can fix it. Worst case I have to sand it all back and start over again.
Good thing is I have three coats of clear under it. This will help prevent cut through when I sand back.

There's always something hiding in the weeds to waiting to smack you upside the head when you least expect it, isn't there? Atleast you didn't have to scoop out a piece of wood and replace it invisibly.

I start to get a little nervous when I get to towards the end of a build.....and I havn't had to fix anything yet. I start thinking it's time to duct tape it to the bench, lest it jumps off.

I have no doubt whatsever that this will end up looking perfect when you say it's done.

Do you suppose the wood was rebelling against the woodpecker you put on the headstock? :blink:

SR

No one hates woody the woodpecker Mr. Horsepower! I think the blush remover/flattener solvent soaked into the first coats of sealer. So as it flashed off the top dried quicker than the under coats. It was probably my fault for trying to get tricky.

Unfortunatley I live in NC and it is always humid here. The last coat blushed a bit. I am terrified to use the blush remover again so I plan to sand it and buff it while hoping to free the trapped vapor in the process.

• Like 1

Houston has its share of humidity too... I had a coat of clear blush on this last build and went as far as ordering a can of blush remover. Before spraying I rubbed the blush down with some 2500 micro-mesh and 3000 3M foam backed polishing material(??--it's not really sand paper). The blush must have been right at the surface, because it rubbed right out- very easily in fact. I considered that pretty lucky, but yours will probably come out while you're leveling the orange peel.

SR

Your finish mishaps make me feel better ;) This kinda thing drives me nuts.

As for the blush remover, all you need is a thinned down coat of lacquer. That has worked for me every time and I've even had to test it again last week.

I look forward to see how this works out for you.

I've had to spot repair a silver finish and I'm crossing my fingers that it won't show with the coats of lacquer over it. On the same guitar, I also had the finish wrinkle in one spot and had to re-shoot the silver.

Your finish mishaps make me feel better ;) This kinda thing drives me nuts.

As for the blush remover, all you need is a thinned down coat of lacquer. That has worked for me every time and I've even had to test it again last week.

I look forward to see how this works out for you.

I've had to spot repair a silver finish and I'm crossing my fingers that it won't show with the coats of lacquer over it. On the same guitar, I also had the finish wrinkle in one spot and had to re-shoot the silver.

Glad I could help ??? 0_o

Ouch. Reshooting or repairing flake finishes is a major cause of alcoholism and bruised knuckle/holey walls.

+1. Flake finishes are not meant to be "fixed". Painful.