BEER! What's in your fridge?

On 5 December 2015 at 7:09 AM, mattharris75 said:

Knightro, Jai Alai is good stuff. Cigar City is the best brewery in Florida. Although, no offense, that's not saying much. ;)

If you're in Florida, try this: http://concretebeachbrewery.com/beers/rico/

Ive been drinking it at MIA lately and it's one of the best American IPA's (APA?) that I've had the pleasure of slurping.

Scotty, pm me your address and I'll send a sixer of Jai Alai your way. It's a good beer to have on hand when you're cutting the lawn mid July.

B

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruosniemen Panimo ("Ruosniemi Brewery") is literally a 6min drive from my home. Musta Lomittaja (literally, "black seasonal worker") is their smoked saison which took several awards this year around E

IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

Today I gave my liquor it's own shelf. I feel like I owe it since it's given me so much.

Posted Images

That sounds very tasty indeed.

Incidentally, there are beers that categorize themselves as APAs -- American Pale Ales. Most of them we enjoy though are American IPAs, as in American style India Pale Ale........further broken down into west coast style and so on.

SR

• 2 weeks later...

Costco has had a great price on Stone's Bastard Box (four 22 oz bombers, one each of Double Bastard, Depth Charged Double Bastard, Arrogant Bastard, and Oaked Arrogant Bastard) for $17.99. So I've had the wife pick up one or two every time she goes. So I've been drinking a lot of this wonderful stuff lately:

20151214_221241.jpg

My son gave me several interesting brews for Christmas, things I have no access to. So I have a number of new goodies to try. On top of that I picked up several more whilst traveling over the holidays.

The first gift I tried was the Fishwater double IPA from Telluride. This is very good stuff, well balanced and juicy.

Note that the power tools are only a prop and not engaged whilst enjoying an IPA. On the other hand I am doing a bunch of hand polishing, and that is a strenuous activity that requires fuel.

I did get one bottle of Pliny the Elder......and it is still sublime.

Early in my trip I discovered this Boulevard The Calling Imperial IPA. Delicious! It reminded me more of Pliny than anything I've come across. I liked it so much I picked up a case ($65) and brought it home. And then I gave it the ultimate test and had one after the Pliny.

And it stood up to that test fantastically!

Next time, I tried this STLIPA from St. Louis, naturally.

This is tasty stuff, quite drinkable, but not especially memorable. It claims to have a date on the neck, but did not.....so it may have been less than fresh.

SR

Well, technically we have nothing in our fridge really. We're rolling along quite nicely with the whiskies we have. Turns out that our supplier in Belgium has gotten worse in terms of reliability so when spring comes rolling back around (if it does) we'll be a bit screwed for beer supply. Since pockets will be very very tight over the last six months whilst I pour (see what I did there?) everything into PG development, we might simply have to take a view on whether we should opt out from out occasional adult beverages.

Nice to see Pliny the Elder there. That has drawn much comparison with CCCCC IPA, Scott.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2015 at 11:17 AM, Prostheta said:

Hitch's tipple of choice.

20151218_173843.jpg

I had a taste of that this past weekend. And I did get to have a taste or two of Blue Label

Frankly I didn't find much to differentiate the two. Of course my palate may have been compromised by then......

SR

Never tried the blue label so I don't have an opinion on that. I can however determine the presence of a lot of Caol Ila and Talisker single malts in the blend. The phenolic peat, smoke and salty notes specific to those whiskies dominate the black label. Not a bad thing by any means as I love both of those individually.

I got into some more Christmas and travel beer over the past week or so.

Wanderlust IPA from Breakside Brewery in Oregon. This was very tasty.

Missouri Mule IPA from Piney River Brewery deep in the Missouri Ozarks. This has got some grassy hop flavor in it. I've always heard of that, but this is the first I've tasted.

Sorry Not Sorry Imperial IPA from a collaboration of Stone, Four Hands, and Bale Breaker. Strong, hoppy and slightly sweet.

Revelation Stout from Public House. I'm not big on stouts, but this is good. I put a bottle in the brisket I've got smoking....I hope it is good that way too.

Karbach's 012 Frigave Belgian Style Tripel. Aged in a tequila barrel.....that started as a wine barrel. Pretty complex flavors going on in this one.

SR

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I want a hop profile that is piney and resinous, where you get that crushed pine needle smell as you tip your glass. Pine Drops from Deschutes looked to be a good bet.

And it is pretty good, but a bit drier finish than I expected....a bit more woody pine branches than crushed fresh needles.

On 12/17/2015 at 3:32 PM, Buter said:

Scotty, pm me your address and I'll send a sixer of Jai Alai your way. It's a good beer to have on hand when you're cutting the lawn mid July.

I got a care package from the islands!:) Delicious! Crisp and refreshing! that would definitely go into my sixpack of best IPAs.

Thanks B.

SR

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're able to get your hands on any Bell's Hopslam, it's definitely worth a go.

It can be pretty tough to find, it's a once a year release and usually sells out very quickly. But there's a reason for that... :)

20160216_213412.thumb.jpg.0d48cee0b5dfd2

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-hopslam/35488/

That sounds wonderful!

Sadly we do not get Bell's in Houston. I always bring some Two Hearted Ale when I go back to Missouri over the holidays. I'll look for it then....but if it's a once a year thing and you've got it now.....I may be shooting in the dark.

SR

• 2 weeks later...

I've collected a few new brews over the past week or so.

First up is this collaboration between Stone and Sierra Nevada called NxS......which they claim means north by south. It seems they brewed up an IPA split it in half and aged half in gin barrels and half in rye whiskey barrels. Once aged, they brewed up a fresh IPA and blended it all together.

I could taste each component. Interesting. And while I like all three, I think I've decided they are better as separate entities. I prefer my beer to taste like beer.

Next is a local brew that is not really new....well it sort of is since the brewery has only been around since 2011. It's a local brewery whose Brewmaster came from Flying Dog. Anyway, it has done a brilliant job of getting its beer in local establishments, and for many places around town the first IPA they brought in was this one: Karbach Hopadillo. In the beginning it was not my favorite as it is very boldly flavored.....but as hopheads know, as time goes on, the search for more flavor intensifies. So while I've had this brew plenty of times, this is the first sixer I've ever brought home. Damn good too!

The next couple are doubles from Clown Shoes. First was the highly rated Space Cake Walk weighing in at 9%.

And Josh the Revelator at 10.5%.

Both of these were quite good, but neither were the hop bombs I expected. On the other hand they were both around a 100 days old, which may have had a lot to do with that. I liked ol' Josh a little better maybe.

SR

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been collecting a few more beers over the last month, but apparently couldn't be bothered to share them. I shall attempt to make amends.

First up was a Sierra Nevada beer camp entry called Tropical IPA. With good reason. It was tropical and juicy and quite good.

360_zpsel5qnxdz.jpg

Even better was this entry from Green Flash, Soul Style IPA. And it was even better and also tropical and juicy. And a single IPA which is uncommon from Green Flash.

358_zpsbxxoav56.jpg

Later I ran across a 12 pack sampler from Sierra Nevada and this 5 Hop IPA was the first one I pulled out. It included some experimental hops that only have numbers for names so. far. I'd call it interesting......and quite drinkable.

IMG_1701_zpsrolqal06.jpg

SR

• Like 1