BEER! What's in your fridge?

On 3/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, Mr Natural said:

hard liquors are way out side of my "field of expertise"- but wondering what you all thought of Patron silver. I only ask cause I have a bottle of it left over from the last summer time gathering at the Natch household where we made up some margaritas (and a couple long island iced teas by request). I really dont know jackshite about this stuff. mrs natch says the patron (in drinks at restaurants) appears to be smoother than other brands. I agree with that observation. But we only have margaritas every blue moon, and shots arent us so what do we know. 

My experience is that all Patron is over priced. You are paying for the marketing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very good tequila but it belongs about $10 cheaper and there are others that are better in the same or lower price points.

I’ve come to really enjoy Espalon, especially for mixing. If I want a real nice sipping tequila I’ve gone to Casamigos Anejo.

Our liquor stores have almost no mezcal, but if you have a good selection I would try some. A flight at a restaurant or bar is helpful. Mezcal is to tequila what scotch is to whiskey. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruosniemen Panimo ("Ruosniemi Brewery") is literally a 6min drive from my home. Musta Lomittaja (literally, "black seasonal worker") is their smoked saison which took several awards this year around E

IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

Today I gave my liquor it's own shelf. I feel like I owe it since it's given me so much.

Posted Images

For basics, try El Mejor Anejo if you find it, It's good for the price 30ish? In Mexico, we went to the Walmart and grabbed a bunch of Don Julio Reposado for under 20 a pop and drank that all week.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, westhemann said:

I picked up this today. It's really rather nice. Casamigos has a Mezcal now as well that I may try next time.

So far, this is the best I've found by quite a bit.

20190403_122453.jpg

Glad to hear you like that one. I have more “Research” to do, but that is my favorite to drink straight so far. I won’t waste something that good on shots or mixed drinks.

Mezcal I am not well versed in. Had a flight sampler or three over the last year or two, but don’t remember any names. Our liquor stores have next to no mezcal, so I don’t get to really try any. Sadly I like it better than tequila, and can’t get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

and yet another list. but i like this one as it is from the home brewers association magazine- but most of all- i love that the beer that got me hooked on craft beer- sierra nevada pale ale- is sitting pretty up high on the list. 

1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale*
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder*
3. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale*
4. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
5. The Alchemist Heady Topper*
6. Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS)
T7. Founders All Day IPA
T7. Bell’s Hopslam*
T9. Founders Breakfast Stout
T9. WeldWerks Juicy Bits*
11. Cigar City Jai Alai IPA*
T12. Tree House Julius*
T12. Three Floyds Zombie Dust*
14. Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro*
15. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA*
T16. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale*
T16. New Holland Dragon’s Milk*
T18. Lawson’s Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine*
T18. Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale*
20. Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
T21. Allagash White*
T21. The Alchemist Focal Banger*
23. North Coast Old Rasputin*
T24. Odell IPA*
T24. Russian River Blind Pig I.P.A.*

Top Ranked Breweries:

1. Bell’s Brewery, Comstock, MI*
2. Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, MI
3. Russian River Brewing Company, Santa Rosa & Windsor, CA*
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico, CA & Mills River, NC*
5. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, DE*
6. Tree House Brewing Company, Charlton, MA*
7. The Alchemist, Stowe, VT*
T8. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR*
T8. Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO*
T10. Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, CA*
T10. Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA*
T12. Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, MO*
T12. Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, FL*
T12. WeldWerks Brewing Co., Greeley, CO*
15. New Glarus Brewing Company, New Glarus, WI*
16. New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO & Asheville, NC*
17. Three Floyds Brewing Company, Munster, IN*
T18. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, CA & Chicago, IL
T18. Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO, Brevard, NC, & Austin, TX*
20. Tröegs Independent Brewing, Hershey, PA*
21. Avery Brewing Company, Boulder, CO
22. Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, ME*
23. Left Hand Brewing Company, Longmont, CO*
T24. Goose Island Beer Company, Chicago, IL
T24. Surly Brewing Company, Minneapolis, MN*

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/best-beers-in-america/

• Like 1

as I close out the spring/summer 2019 STOUT season-(I struggle with stouts and porters during the hot months) a shout out to @ScottR for the recommendation- 

going out on a high note

Evil Twin/Praire Artisian Ales collab- Bible Belt (even more) Imperial Stout. 13% but smooth as shit- nice- very nice stout. 

20190627_214407.thumb.jpg.b041e0bc495a6b978963570159ee85ae.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, that Black Butte was terrible. Waaaay too sweet and just a horrible flavor for a stout. I don't reccomend. 

The Abyss however... even better than I remember. The espresso-esque bitterness is just right. So creamy. I highly,  highly recommend. 

15630639763436412139796877976163.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Beer! What's in your fridge?"

There's a 12 pack of 4.7% cheap German lager, and a 6 pack of 2.25% German lager. Not much better in the cellar either, a couple of bottles of Honkavuori Yö (Night) 4.5% Oatmeal Stout and some Blond Munk Estonian lager which belongs to my wife.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying different wheat beers out in an effort to find something as a substitute for the Fat Tire Belgian White I can't seem to find. Honestly, the Watermelon stuff tastes more like a flavored watered down Budweiser than a typical wheat beer. I did enjoy the Shock Top, but not the Blue Moon.

Seems like the golden era of craft beer is winding down around here.

5 hours ago, westhemann said:

Seems like the golden era of craft beer is winding down around here

Having visited a few craft beer weekend happenings I can already tell that they seem to forget the main thing (=making good beer) while searching for new flavours. This year everyone seemed to make sour beers, last year flavoured stouts were the thing. The year before it was all about fruit...

Yeah.  Five years ago there was a craft beer section in every Spec's with some really good offerings in Stouts, IPA, etc. 

Now everyone is covering up an inferior beer with added flavorings.

If I ever get my house finished and set up my keg system I can combat the influx of bad beer a keg at a time. At least with kegs you can get them to order what you want.

I've seen a number of craft brewers go under because they did not keep up with the next hot thing. So many try to do so and put out a bunch of stuff that is only new, but not hot.

On the other hand, I've seen any number of folks....usually much younger than I, drinking stuff I would pour out.....and acting like they like it.

SR