NorthStar 8-string headless

The Myka neck pocket jigg that Chris built and still have on sale. Great tool!

IMG_1032_zps6ba76741.jpg

Neck pocket routed

IMG_1033_zps801cb275.jpg

A good fit

IMG_1034_zps2acb6641.jpg

Now how to locate the holes in the body to match the holes already drilled in the neck. The tool:

IMG_1037_zps05fd2949.jpg

In the threaded bushing

IMG_1036_zpsa9223c7b.jpg

Press the neck down in the neck pocket and you got some nice markingsIMG_1038_zps1666bcaa.jpg

I drill the holes first from the top to back with small pilot drills

IMG_1039_zps52c32ef7.jpg

Then drill from the back with the appropriate brill bit to fit my bushings

IMG_1041_zps7ee21bbc.jpg

And of cause use a bigger bit to make room for the screws. All four of them in place

IMG_1042_zpse807c484.jpg

This is a bit of a "magic" moment for me every time I can attach the neck to the body for the first time. Its like it's becoming an instrument in that moment.

IMG_1043_zpse3bc9081.jpg

Looking very strange with that "head". Let's remedy that. I glue on the template

IMG_1044_zpsb318bc3f.jpg

A bit of band sawing, sanding and mocking up with the nut blank and we have this

IMG_1046_zpsa21f31cf.jpg

Now it looks much better

IMG_1045_zpsb41599fe.jpg

• Like 1

Lastly a bit of work on the neck. I thinned it out to final thickness and taper with the Wagner Safe-T and some different thickness blocks under the neck to create the right taper (sorry, no in progress pics of that...)

IMG_1047_zpsa9ca9503.jpg

And cleaned up with some sanding

IMG_1048_zps5a9abe70.jpg

Printed the template for the EndurNeck on paper and taped it to the neck

IMG_1049_zps801c108a.jpg

And had the shape transferred to the wood

IMG_1050_zpsb8f597ee.jpg

as this is *very* different from what I normally do I will have to reinvent my methods here.

Thanks again!

Next up is the back of the neck profiling, but first I need to angel the head part so that the string locks doesn't get too hard to engage

IMG_1051_zpsae85fdb6.jpg

I make a makeshift protection for the nut shelf

IMG_1052_zpsb8bae117.jpg

clamp the neck blank up, and have a go at it with rasps and files

0c750810-0a63-4435-a32b-40b1e11757d3_zps

and this is what you get (mockup with nut)

IMG_1054_zps9490c2cd.jpg

Two boring picks of neck shaping, simple before

IMG_1055_zpsb3d0f5ab.jpg

and after shots

IMG_1056_zps587474a9.jpg

Instead of my usual use of spokes shaves and shoeshine sanding motion I hade to use rasps and files and sanding blocks and make sure I followed the lines. Quite hard as the surfaces are to be smooth and that the angle along the neck changes with the S-curve. I got it accurate in the end.

Test-mounted the string locks and the neck is more or less ready for finish sanding (apart from fretting of cause)

IMG_1061_zps35146a29.jpg

Measuring for the bridge(s). If you think it is hard to get the string ferrules on a tele in a straight and nice line you should try this. I had to plug and re-drill several of the holes. There is 0.5mm clearance between each tuning machine and if it is a tad off the tuner parts will grabb each other and make it impossible to tune accurately. And it will look all wonky.

IMG_1057_zps41b6dd40.jpg

Most of the base parts screwed in place

IMG_1059_zps5d4e85f2.jpg

And test fitting everything

IMG_1058_zpsa2f9f8ca.jpg

Next up is rounding over the edges, cutting the recess under the tuners, the belly-cut, the hand-cut and the arm-curt (lotsa cuts here...)

• Like 1

Got the edges rounded over today, despite a 1.5 h power loss due to a massive thunderstorm.

IMG_1064_zps2fd51588.jpg

And no, that was not the bit I used...

Router a relief area under the tuner parts of the bridges. Most users of this type of tuner simply cut away a part of the body. With this solution you can maintain a bit of "normal" look and still have full access to the tuners

IMG_1065_zpse6c9515c.jpg

I ended up using a round nose bit with a non-matching bearing so I had to adjust the template a bit to match. Ended up with a pretty smottoh area that is smoothed further with 80-grip paper here.

IMG_1065_zpse6c9515c.jpg

BTW I probably had one of the fancier templates as I used of-cuts from the top. Masur Birch template, not bad!

Rasped away to make for easier access for the left hand

IMG_1066_zps8f2e8741.jpg

Belly-cut marked

IMG_1067_zps09c993f3.jpg

And cut, lots of rasping today. This surface is also smoothed with 80-grit paper

IMG_1068_zps9ee32fc9.jpg

And the arm-cut done in the same way

IMG_1069_zps63fdbf0a.jpg

The idea is that the darker cedar will be visible at the arm-cut, the "hand-cut" and the relief cut under the tuners. It will look quite interesting, I think.

Next up is the control cavity and most of the heavy "body building" is done

Not any planned. The idea is to have the "original" body shape that I usually do, softly rounded over and then have a few cut outs made with quite sharp and crisp lines, like something that can't be seen in the pictures, the arm cut is a very gentle roll rather than an angled surface. the edges of that roll will meet the round over with a crisp (not very sharp, that would defeat the purpose with the soft rolled arm cut...) edge. The same thing with the hand cut-out. The lines that are meeting the rounded edges will have crisp lines. I'll have to wait and see how it looks and feels with the hardware mounted to make the final decisions thou.

I have made a set of templates to make the control cavity and the cover more accurate.

IMG_1072_zpscb0fe317.jpg

Start with marking the position for the holes on the front

IMG_1073_zpsc34ee171.jpg

Drill ALLTHE THREE HOLES right through the body!!! I can't believe I missed one. No biggie, but it is typically me to do so when I'm taking pictures to dokument the build... :blush

IMG_1075_zpsa3adfd96.jpg

With the body flipped over, put the template to the back and center it in the holes with something the same size as the holes

IMG_1076_zpsfb2b72d2.jpg

Put double stick tape on the main template and slide that over the first template

IMG_1078_zpsca7a45a5.jpg

Perfectly centered

Pull out the first template and rout a recess the depth of the cover material

IMG_1082_zps34877dc2.jpg

Now a twist I have never seen with anybody else. A third template that slides down inside the main template

IMG_1080_zps46f012db.jpg

Like so

IMG_1084_zps51eaacd9.jpg

Drilling out the bulk first

IMG_1085_zps85f9b0de.jpg

Routing out material until the template isn't needed anymore

IMG_1086_zpsf79abd16.jpg

And finishing the recess to the right depth

IMG_1087_zps0f6bc80d.jpg

Whipping out the same third template again, placing it were the cover will go

IMG_1088_zps138b7710.jpg

This template also has holes to help locate were to drill for the fastening screws

IMG_1089_zpsf9badbaa.jpg

A new template for the actual cover

IMG_1090_zpsa04a88be.jpg

I'll save you the use of Google translate. "Utsidan" means "this side out". Helps to avoid making things backwards/inside out.

Removing the bulk with the band saw and routing flush to the template on the router table. Those small plastic chips really stick to anything in the shop!

IMG_1092_zpsc67c57eb.jpg

The same template also has holes to help align the screw holes

IMG_1094_zps20f915a4.jpg

A very nice fit

IMG_1095_zpsc7ae4c16.jpg

Got the jack hole drilled

IMG_1096_zps44bdf263.jpg

Marked and routed for the pickups

IMG_1097_zps92080bf3.jpg

IMG_1098_zpse0765260.jpg

Sometimes it can be really hard to see whats going on...

So everything is done. Now I just need to finish the sanding process and get to the finish phase.

IMG_1099_zpsfc47199b.jpg

That picture is taken outside as I brought the body out to sand it. We have excellent weather for a change (OK had so for more than a week now) and I can't be inside all day working. We had 30C (≈85F) today and have had in that range for the last ten days. Great for building up a tan, disaster for work morale.

• 2 weeks later...

So with another week of temperatures of 33C (91F) here hasn't been much work done. I finally forced myself to do a bit anyway. The final sanding is done and I have started to apply the Tru-Oil on the body. With these temperatures the fist couple of coats cures faster than I can ally the oil! Got a few coats on the back

IMG_1100_zps72241c79.jpg

and the front

IMG_1101_zps5db10649.jpg

Finish sanded the fretboard

IMG_1102_zps48d8c6c7.jpg

A drop of tung oil or two to reveal the fantastic color of the wood

IMG_1103_zpsca6e7537.jpg

and had the frets tapped in (no pics of the frets trimmed, sorry)

IMG_1104_zps29bc937f.jpg

Now I have to finish sanding the neck, starting to apply the oil on the rest of the neck and wait for the magnets for the pickups to arrive. We are shooting for a tad weaker PAF style pickups and I only had big enough ceramic magnets for 8-string, no A5. Got a bunch of those made and on their way to me right now.

• Like 1

It's been like that here too Peter. Here in Pori we hit the countries highest temp record for the year. Not entirely surprised either! 32,8°C on Monday and it's not far off today.

What flush cut side nippers are you using? I went to replace my old pair which had chipped out too much from stainless only to find out how expensive they are now. Could do with shopping around.

It's been like that here too Peter. Here in Pori we hit the countries highest temp record for the year. Not entirely surprised either! 32,8°C on Monday and it's not far off today.

What flush cut side nippers are you using? I went to replace my old pair which had chipped out too much from stainless only to find out how expensive they are now. Could do with shopping around.

I am using Ideal 8" WireMan Diagonal Cutting Pliers w/ Angled Head ground flush and polished. They are the only pliers I have that can cut SS without chipping or dulling.

Nice tip there Brett. I have to check them out. I will soon need a new pair as my old Stewmac cutters are, as Carl's apparently, pretty messed up after using them on SS. How do you prevent changing the hardening of them when grinding them? Cooling them periodically? or do they benefit from a bit of tempering (I think its called tempering...).

I doubt that messing with the temper of a certain set of cutters would yield much advantage unless you know the steel used to make the tool well. FWIW, tempering (bringing up to temperature and letting cool on their own) makes them tougher if somewhat softer. Quenching (heating to cherry red and dropping into oil, water, etc.) makes them harder but more prone to chipping. This is pretty much what ABM have been doing with that knife edge you've been discussing.

Both of your Stewmac cuttters are likely rebranded Normex tools with the price doubled. I was using Stanley end cutters (the bigger 190mm pair I think) with the face ground flush. If would highly recommend being careful not to let the steel overheat. It might be possible to do this on a Tormek wheel but there's a lot of steel to remove! Not grinding the face flush with the cutting edges (leave about 1mm or so of the front bevel) maintains a larger cutting angle. Grinding them "too flush" reduces this angle and makes chipping likely. Ask me how I know :-)

I might buy some compound action cutters rather than the simple scissor action. My hands get tired and painful after tang nipping and all of those kinds of jobs. They don't appear to be a current product though, so I should probably snag some ASAP. These are my old pair:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=FATMAX&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=89-875&SDesc=6-1%2F2%22+FATMAX%26%23174%3B+End+Cutting+Pliers

Nice tip there Brett. I have to check them out. I will soon need a new pair as my old Stewmac cutters are, as Carl's apparently, pretty messed up after using them on SS. How do you prevent changing the hardening of them when grinding them? Cooling them periodically? or do they benefit from a bit of tempering (I think its called tempering...).

I did the first pair with the grinder and belt sander trying to be very careful not to heat them too much (dousing them in water while working).

No they do not benefit from getting too hot. If they turn blue while you are grinding it is too late you have lost...

+1 what Carl said about making them too flush. Mine are very close to flush but still miss by a thousandth in hopes of retaining the cutting edge strength.

I also cut the head of mine down considerably so that the actual cut is not much more than the full depth of a fret. This makes sure you are cutting as close to the pivot as you can making it easier on your hands and less prone to twisting/chipping/mangling the fret.

P4180147.jpg

P4180148.jpg

P4180146.jpg