Biggest Design Flaws

I got the idea for this topic from another recent thread on the Strat heel. I keep seeing remarks about design flaws in such things as Strats and Les Pauls, but I don't always see people really state what those flaws are. Some may be obvious, some may not, but I think the discussion could really be constructive, especially for us noobs.

For instance, I am about to start on a LP oriented project, but I have been a Strat player all my life, so I would be interested in what people had to say in that regard. But I don't want to limit it to just that guitar...so

If you could change anything about any manufactured guitar, what would it be?

I've always thought that the deep pickup routings and 'overlapping' rear trem routings of a strat severely 'thin' the wood between where the neck joins and the bridge sits - look at a les paul and the neck runs a thick solid route all the way to the bridge mounts - excellent solid transmission from the top of the neck to the bridge. Maybe they could design a trem where the springs sit behind the bridge, with a trem routing in all that 'unused' wood between the bridge and the strap button!!!

:D

Design flaws Les Paul:

1. Way to havy for my taste

2. Uncomfortable arm rest without contour

3. Not very stable headstock

4. Bad upper fret access

Design flaws Strat:

1. The heel is very blocky and hinders comfortable access to the upper frets, although you can accustom to that

2. The original Tremolo can be tuned in order to be quite tuning stable, but not enough for heavy whammy bar (ab)use

...better electronics

that's one of the big ones, cause the easiest way to upgrade a guitar is slap some dimarzio, emg' or duncan's in there....

substandard wood and half assed quality checks / assembly / finish work would be my major peeve though...

i guess that doesn't really relate to a design or a model, it's more of a common problem even on major names..

hmm....

i guess heels (infringing on upper fret access) are my only critique then...

Howdy,

My pet peeve about factory guitars would be cheap strap buttons (like on my Gretsch) and cheap jack (also on the Gretsch). The jack on my LP is tight, the way it ought to be. It may be a pain to get my cord in, but it does not fall out accidentally.

Guitar Ed

Opinions are like a**holes. And I just showed you mine.

dunno, lots of people had problems with gibson headstocks snapping, maybe that should be addressed.......

also substandard hardware like on all 'ibeenhad's is a major annoyance, though not necesarily design fault

one real big design fault with flying V's is that you cant play the sitting down. i think if shape where redesigned, it could be made possible

steineys have a special "leg rest" that you can buy and put on a flying V.

That is where modding comes in. for easy fixes like that. I agree volutes should be used in all guitars. Honestly there is no reason NOT to have one. plus most guitars do not use a scarf joint. they use a single piece of mahogany or something and just chop te headstock out of it. Which is very stupid because then you get short grain. Meaning instead of having the grain go with the way of the headstock it keeps going in the same direction making it very easy to snap off. </b>

--------------------

-----------------------

----------

-------------

-------------

-------------

--------------

instead of it going like ^

it should go like

-------

-------\\\\\

\\\\\

\\\\\

\\\\\ 

plus most guitars do not use a scarf joint. they use a single piece of mahogany or something and just chop te headstock out of it. Which is very stupid because then you get short grain.

well stupid or not that is the way i do it.and carvin...but check your facts...most guitars DO use a scarf joint on a tilt back headstock.

don't make your necks wizard thin and you might be surprised at how well they hold up.

but i have nothing against scarf joints...

bythe way if it is quartesawn wood it helps that section also...but i WISH you would build a few more guitars,snork , before deciding what is "stupid" and what is not...i am glad you are learning but there are always ways around a problem.

for example...quartersawn laminated 3 piece necks are a good way around scarf joints

lol.... i meant.... that's my preffered way of making necks althought i do try to leave a volute when shaping, it's more then strong enough to take any normal abuse B) especially when you use a realy hard center wood like ebony, bubinga, wenge, yada yada, and of course your favorite wes, purple heart :D