First [completed] Scratch Build:

Thank you fellas! It does have a sound all its own. I always had trouble with the Evolution in my Ibanez guitars into my 5150, it was just too scratchy sounding. I don't know what's special about this...maybe the fact it's Hog/Maple, but it took all the agressive scratch out of it, and gives this awesome articulate, punchy attack. The fact that I can play music on it at all has me pretty psyched and ready to go back down into the shop and do it all over again.

I have ran an RG with 2vol pots and no switch in the past. It's cool for blending, particularly finding an interesting tone for leads in the studio. From a live performance perspective, it's a nightmare for me. Even when I have a pickup selector switch, I often forget to throw it to the neck before arpeggio passages and upper fret runs(I'm an Yngwie nut and love that neck pickup tone for leads). Getting two knobs turned in time would be impossible for my goofy ass.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the win from a fellow Chiefs fan (and how 'bout them Royals!)

I'm looking forward to seeing the extras on this one. And John is right - this stuff is addictive. If you are not careful you'll have more guitars than you can play....and will spend too much time deciding which is your favorite.

SR

• Like 1

Shyoooot, I'm already addicted. With my musical endeavors fizzling recently, I find that lutherie is the perfect replacement creative outlet. I started on this journey back in 1997 when I met a local KC luthier who made me realize that building a guitar wasn't only possible by tapping into the arcane arts. Life unfortunately got in the way. After trying my luck in the local KC metal scene over the span of 12 years, 4 bands, 2 EPs, and 2 full length albums, I decided to chase down a that #2 dream(the #1 dream was being a rock star, of course).

It's definitely an exciting year for KC, sports-wise. The Chiefs are my #1 team, and I guess the Royals can be my #2 now...they sure fought hard and the spirit was infectious. I'm originally from STL, and I grew up in the cheap seats of Busch Stadium, so the Cardinals will always have my allegiance. There's always that 1985 World Series that Cards fans can never forgive or forget. The Royals sure showed talent and class, and I found myself cheering them on.

• Like 1

I've got a buddy from the Wichita area that followed a similar path as you....now he's down here in Texas recording local bands in the studio he built in his house. Me, I'm just jealous of the guys that play well enough to do what you guys have done. I'll just keep building guitars, listening to you guys play, and going into my room and play only well enough to entertain myself --with the door shut so I don't scare the dogs. :D

I've been a Chiefs fan since they won the Super Bowl and always will be no matter where I live I guess. I grew up just outside of KC and married a St. Louis girl. Our son was about two months old during the I-70 series and we passed him back and forth whenever our respective teams came to bat. She must have taken losing harder than I thought, she took him to raise in St. Louis a couple years later....but that's a different story. I moved to the southern states shortly after that and lost track of the Royals. I always kept track of the Cards too, you cannot grow up in the area and not respect the Cardinals. It was great fun to become reaquainted with Royals this fall and I agree they did show talent and class.

SR

• Like 1

Been a fan since the Chiefs won the Superbowl??? Whoaaaa...dating yourself there buddy! It's been a while. :)

It's cool you're from the area. TX seems to be a popular state for those moving out of KC. I've got a couple friends that headed down that way. It's definitely a hot spot for luthiers...lots of amazing builders down there...including yourself.

Been a fan since the Chiefs won the Superbowl??? Whoaaaa...dating yourself there buddy! It's been a while. :)

Hahaha trudat. I was just a kid......but still that happened before a lot of the folks here were born I bet.

This is looking nice. I'm a fan of bevels revealing the body wood. Yours are very clean and flow well. How did you cut them?

SR

Thanks Scott.

For bevels, I use a Shinto saw rasp. I mark a couple quick lines and have at it. I'll clean up with a sanding block and 60grit, then I scrape it with a cabinet scraper. I'll alternate this a few times until satisfied.

This top was from a 6" wide piece, and the body is 13" wide at the hips, so I had to do the reveal to make it work. I'm a huge fan of the look myself, and I'm glad I accidentally bought that 6" board. *D'OH*

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's all good. I've come to a crossroads in my life where I have too many hobbies and not enough free time. My last year in a band was nothing but frustration. My creative well dried up, and I just couldn't write anything I was happy with.

As soon as I started building, I knew I was on the right path because everything just flowed(once I got a clue of what I was doing, that is). I've had a lot of fun playing in bands and playing live for the last dozen years, but I find building is so much more rewarding.

• Like 1