Guitar Of The Month - October 2014

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for all members to exhibit their creations and to vote on whose is this month's favourite. The contest is open entry for any and all members. The winner(s) receive a featured article placement at the top of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, default site background wallpaper and privileged member perks across the site (plus a shiny member badge in the forums!). The main ProjectGuitar.com site sees thousands of unique visitors from around the Internet so show off your work for the world to see!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting open. Polls automatically close at the tick of midnight on the 1st of each month.

Tips and Guidelines

• Post a maximum of four eight of your best photos for each guitar entered.
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise one will be given to it. :)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your background as a builder helps give context to your build. Knowing whose build is a "first-timer" and those of highly experienced builders can change a voter's mind in the contest. Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec? What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen? Any background on what makes it special, etc. Tell us more about the instrument!
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by seasoned builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread tend to attract more votes from the general community.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you are unable to link/post photographs or have any other questions about the GOTM contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch! In general it is recommended to upload your photos into ProjectGuitar.com Gallery and inserting them using the "My Media" button in the post editor.

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:croudwaits

This month I’m submitting my entry the “Kamikaze Barracuda BSB.” I had a new student starting awhile back and I wanted to do it a little different this time around so I decided to start a build to work along side him with. Naturally I chose something simple so I wasn’t over-complicating my life as I had a batch of instruments going myself as well.

Background:

In keeping with the theme of “simple” i thought of the Kamikaze series. Besides their paint jobs they were pretty dumbed down guitars. Also, someone gave me an EMG-81 for free so I figured why not build a single-pickup, shred guitar?

For the finish I took inspiration from one of my favorite finishes of all time, the so called “burnt stained blue’ of the JEM7BSB which ironically was not actually blue, but a stain called “swamp green.” There were a couple of things wrong with the BSB finishes though. They were an oiled finish over a stained body. This meant that over the years (especially on high-wear areas like the neck) the stain would get rubbed away and fade. Also, the bodies were made of basswood and therefore highly prone to scratches, dings, and dents being weak wood under a weak finish. Sadly, this has left many a BSB scarcely played as they’re a bit of a collector’s item and people didn’t want them to deteriorate. Lastly, the burnt part of the BSB literally came from the process of burning the wood to give it its signature look.

With all this in mind I wanted to do an homage to the instrument, but not in a way that encouraged people not to play it. Therefore, I went with a rosewood neck instead of the stained maple one. This got rid of the most-rubbed-off-stain area issue. I wanted to keep true to the basswood body though, so I tackled this by not only burning, but downright scorching some areas. This, coupled with a piece of basswood that I specifically left (although solidified) some end checks in, I purposefully created a body that was already damaged and therefore the player shouldn’t have fear of future damage.

Lastly, since this wasn’t a serious build for me, but a follow-along with a student I wanted to get some experimentation out of this. So I tried a couple of news things:

- Persimmon fretboard and top (the only true ebony to grow in North America). Side note: it turned out to be an absolutely wonderful wood to work with, great character, and a good fretboard wood being both hard as well as extremely stable I’ve found.

- Glow in the dark face and side dots, as well as my logo

- Plastic binding

Specs:

Body-

Basswood with Persimmon top

Bound in Ivoroid

“Burst Stained Blue” tru-oil finish

Neck-

25.5” scale 16” radius Persimmon fretboard

Glow in the dark “teal recon stone looking” side and face dots, and logo. You can see my tutorial on those in the video at the end.

Persimmon head plate, no truss rod cover

East Indian Rosewood bolt on neck

Electronics-

Single EMG-81 in the bridge

Volume and tone controls

Blue LED “power” button: This literally controls the battery. EMGs will work as a quiet passive pickup, so it is not a kill switch. This, hopefully, negates the heartache of wasting an entire 9v battery simply because you forgot to unplug your cable after use (in EMG circuits the sleeve of a stereo jack is used to turn on/off the battery).

Hardware-

Original Floyd Rose

Hipshot open back locking tuners

Schaller style blue strap locks

7D05FF32-7FAD-483F-B6E3-C0663B6FC1EC_zps

0495CEFB-2130-409D-B729-CB9FAC479D80_zps

DA265A37-43D1-4472-A489-5C8C6AD1010F_zps

8FFD08FB-A14B-4E48-B222-68F2DB8F7C8A_zps

9F7AFBE4-13CA-491F-BEA7-40D94E03B181_zps

D8E4C975-2DE3-4C19-A271-0BD789EFED46_zps

7F61EA6F-0741-44FD-8478-3A1EAE30261F_zps

FAE63176-A1CA-48E5-9CA1-B94006CF59ED_zps

Chris

Tutorial Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOEj6eLREQ&list=UUR3_-A0lKRMIhHL0aNlu0zw

Hey PG friends, I'm submitting Knightro JR for this month's GOTM.

This is my first scratch build, 100% designed and built by me. In keeping with my novice status, I decided to go for a fairly simple vintage-inspired configuration roughly based on a Les Paul DC JR. This guitar was mostly built on a folding workbench in my apartment, though I was able to rent time at a local wood shop for larger and messier operations.

Specs:

Body-

African mahogany with hand-rubbed oil finish

Neck-

Maple neck

Indian rosewood fretboard w/MOP dots

24.5" scale w/24 frets

16" radius

Hardware-

Graphtech Ratio tuning machines

Graphtech Resomax Wraparound bridge

Graphtech TUSQ XL nut

Electronics-

Stewmac Golden Age P90

CTS 250k Volume/Tone pots

Emerson .015uf PIO cap

50's style wiring

image4_zps7ff34de0.jpeg

image6_zps9a41a09c.jpeg

image8_zps24a7fcc2.jpeg

image3_zps7bfdfc7d.jpeg

image1_zps17ab453a.jpeg

Ash Cairbre .

So specs are, bookmatched ash top on a chambered ash back with a walnut veneer between. a 5-piece Maple and walnut neck and a wenga fretboard.
Gotoh tuners, Gotoh bridge, Seymour Duncan pups ,a Pearly Gates in the neck and a custom 5 in the bridge. Both are coil tapped from the tone.

25 1/2 scale, 6105 frets, bone nut, 500K CTS pots and Mallory 150 series .047mfd tone capacitors, all wrapped up in Melamine lacquer to allow the tone to shine through.

3_zpsf07cdb02.jpg

6_zps5d43864c.jpg

9_zps578d1fec.jpg

15_zpsbde4222d.jpg

8_zps59175338.jpg

5_zps039b29b7.jpg

7_zps0089e7e5.jpg

WP_002517_zpsa79794c0.jpg

Natural Blonde

This guitar has a book matched maple top over an african mahogany body with a sapele neck, and a cumara fingerboard. 24 5/8 scale, 22 frets, and a vintage style truss rod. I went with all cream colored trim for a simple balanced look. For the hardware I used a generic adjustable wrap tail bridge, and grover roto's. I wound the pickups to vintage specifications with AlNiCo 5 magnets. It's tinted with aniline dye, and finished with nitrocellulose lacquer. Thanks for looking.

lav1_zpse0dc6cca.jpg

lav2_zpsb968a6cb.jpg

lavin4_zpsc7c0c161.jpg

lavin6_zps434baa38.jpg

lavin13_zpsbbf549c1.jpg

lavindye_zpsb6f4234b.jpg

lavinlacquer_zpsd90a01dc.jpg

P-90sparts_zps1d8b1826.jpg

For consideration:

Acoustic Archtop #2 (8th instrument)

Name: Sunrise

Specs:

-25" Scale

-17" Lower Bout with 3" Sides

-Sitka Spruce Soundboard, Parallel Bracing

-Master Grade Flamed Maple Back, Sides and Neck

-Ebony Fretboard, Bridge, Tailpiece, Finger Rest and Headstock Overlay

-Gold MOP Block Inlays

-Black Binding with W/B/W Binding

-Gold EVO Fretwire

-Gold Grover Statite Tuners

-Dyed Sunburst Finish with Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer

-Kent Armstrong Floating Humbucker with Schatten Thumbwheel Volume/Tone Controls

Here are a few finished and progress photos:

627523EB-9005-48C8-9AEA-28DD970DA229_zps

E255DF0B-CE8F-4478-9E8E-67E2BEA4B2B9_zps

35237822-3941-4C55-AFAB-D079E38D3CD5_zps

3CAF562D-7D50-4C0B-A1A6-E2FDE9E66D88_zps

F9B67080_zps2adef2cf.jpg

A79AE8C9_zpsba217a10.jpg

8FAA1E92_zpsacd0e23d.jpg

71985D79-B88C-4F7E-8590-4A432AD67280_zps

Edited by Geoff St. Germaine