Cherry Bomb

Muzz

That ruler is flat out like a lizard drinking

Would he have to get as full as a millipede's sock drawer to get laid out flat from drinking like that?

I love the handle on your rasp. You always come up with the coolest work aids made from the simpleist materials. I too have used a long level as a flat bar for truing up the fretboard during radius sanding.

This is an excellent build thread Muzz, lots of easy to use ideas.

SR

Putting in the side dots

Drilling a 2 mm hole through a disc of pespex

l3mZOt9.jpg

I scribed a line just under a mm below the lowest part of the hole

GFO7Jdw.jpg

line up the scribed line with the bottom of the fretboard and the hole with the measured mark

IFkJI5d.jpg

Drilled through the guide, bit of glue on the side dot plastic pieces and pushed them in

5jnj3zM.jpg

I'll let the glue set then trim them off

Another clever idea. Did you have any trouble holding that guide in place while you were drilling?

SR

I have been wanting to try that out for ages, I wonder if anyone has made their own templates out of perspex? and if it is hard to do? With those 6 mm deep side holes I just held the the guide down as I drilled, no trouble, all OK. I tried clamping it, but to do that effectively would need a bigger piece of perspex, I must order some to experiment with.

Cutting off the prickles

RX5FHfY.jpg

Project so far

kfKzrHq.jpg

I took a deep breath and prepared to take out the damaged dot at the 12th fret, placed a 6 mm hole over the dot

eQXSyXQ.jpg

lined it up, I don't want any partial moons

usKxZF3.jpg

and put the brad point drill in the hole, the theory was that the point would find the original centre hole and line up, it worked OK

6sS8DgQ.jpg

drilled in a bit more then epoxyed the last dot I had in

sOvliLK.jpg

I'll knock the top off that later (said the actress to the bishop) :D

0aZwlRO.jpg

If the body was square at the heal, the neck would join the body at the 17th fret, but I have a curve that extends 6 mm and shaves a bit off the lower edge.

plOn22i.jpg

I drew the position of the 17th fret on the back of the neck and lined up the template on the neck

d8D83hp.jpg

so I can draw in where the body will meet the neck

h18hpsH.jpg

Carving the neck

I drilled 3 little holes, 3 mm deep at the top of the neck, 2 mm deep in the middle, 1 mm at the base, those holes let me keep track of how much wood has been removed, I don't want to sand through to the truss rod, when the middle holes disappear it's time to stop

Rasping in

dXcY32Z.jpg

My fav part of guitar building, spoke shaving the neck

wGVmhok.jpg

rounding off with the rasp

JKMAfDB.jpg

checking the symmetry

0ayDj7P.jpg

Cheers, SD, I have seen some sand throughs on this forum, that must be nasty to see in real life.

Taking the curve to the edge

eO57nQV.jpg

most of the rough sanding done, wow that rosewood dust stains, not sure how to get that off the heel, I don't want to sand a 20 mm heel at all. Lesson learnt, mask off maple when sanding a rosewood fretboard.

XffLvXy.jpg

My new set of knobs for my old Marshall arrived today from UK, first time in years that amp hasn't had an odd set

eBvGTgx.jpg

• Like 1

Putting in the neck,

I figured I needed a 1 degree neck angle on this which is a rise of 4 mm for every 245 mm approx.

BgYB9Oz.jpg

Put the neck on a piece of mdf,and screwed pieces around the neck

DmWa6zo.jpg

Hacked out most of the middle, routed out the rest

Agaxar9.jpg

lined it up on one side of the body

5tmnp6v.jpg

Lined up the other end, there is a drill bit in the centre line of the template that I can see through the hole and this lines up on the centre line of the guitar

V69fTXg.jpg

There is a 9 mm square piece of wood on the back rail to put the neck angle in

tZTjTyc.jpg

Routing in

7XZW9oB.jpg

Pocket finished

wVXafzK.jpg

Neck in, all OK

IKQpzZW.jpg

And here is a picture of a fish instead of a shot of the body being held up by the neck with no screws

XqzJZJu.jpg

If you really want to see the body sticking up in the air on its tight joint click http://i.imgur.com/KcEHpnE.jpg

• Like 1

And here is a picture of a fish instead of a shot of the body being held up by the neck with no screws

That's awesome! <_<

And the hole in the template to see the centerline is brilliant.

SR

It is an awesome sight isn't it

and there was no way I was going to see that drill bit through the all those blocks without the hole :D

jzArLTQ.jpg

I bought these Jet City "Retro Valves" out of pure curiosity

CH1aWpj.jpg

and tried them out in a Marshall, interesting, amazing that they could get quite close to what actual valves sound like, but you can hear the difference and it is not an improvement :unsure:

• Like 1

ooooh lured out by a Destroyer. I like Destroyers. This one looks to be shaping up nicely.

So far so good I am keeping my fingers crossed for a FUBAR not to occur.

Fret hammer (automotive polyurethane head hammer)

Ak6tKRK.jpg

Neck support jig (rolling pin holder)

yavJorl.jpg

Little bit of superglue in the slot

2kpszUv.jpg

And I hammered the frets in, I really like these pre-cut frets, hardly any overhang and already radiused and tanged, fantastic :)

KtVN4jH.jpg

Taking the time to get the neck and fretboard really flat paid off, frets are sitting very level, no real fret levelling needed, they will just need a light sand.

yYAMoa7.jpg

6Y05htb.jpg

Wow the Asian Cup match last night was incredible, all us Aussies were about to break open the champagne when Korea slammed an equalizing goal home with only minutes of extra time left, hey we got 30 more minutes of nail biting entertainment.

TiS5BOd.jpg

• Like 1