Cherry Bomb

Muzz

Sweet looking scene. How big is that skull? My buddy Skullsessions would be appreciative of that. Did you keep it down to a dull roar for the nieghbors' sakes or just envite them?

SR

It was a great night with family and friends, not too loud and the neighbours here are fantastic. The skull is about a metre high, isn't it good to get together with the people that make you happy and have a good shindig.

sandpaper stuck to an mdf wedge to smooth over the edges of the bevels

Still coming up with clever little innovations I see. What grit are you using, and how many times did you have to change it? Did you have any problems with pressure from the fret ends grooving the mdf?

SR

sandpaper stuck to an mdf wedge to smooth over the edges of the bevels

Still coming up with clever little innovations I see. What grit are you using, and how many times did you have to change it? Did you have any problems with pressure from the fret ends grooving the mdf?

SR

That wedge worked great for getting the burrs and sharpness off the fret ends, it had 600 grit on it and one piece of sandpaper did all the frets. I used hardly any pressure at all, and just let the wet and dry do all the work. The neck is nearly at the point where the finish goes on :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to JB HiFi and they had this for sale at $150 :huh: that's about $118 US

7zsXfkb.jpg

So I bought it, it's a great guitar, nothing needs done to it, absolutely baffling that companies are close to giving away guitars these days

VA02765.jpg

Back to making a guitar which is much more wallet draining. Making the cavity template.

5mlOWgN.jpg

drilled out some saw entry points

5079n9G.jpg

hacked out

Y05EL4g.jpg

rasped and sanded out

DkGcOHN.jpg

I would personally put the switch closer to the bridge in line with your playing hand, unless you use the knobs a lot. I find that most players use the switch WAY more than they use the knobs.

I do use the volume a lot, in between songs I often turn the volume down and I do swells when my buddies and I are playing 'How many more times'. This Epiphone Explorer has an interesting arrangement.

6HHZ9V4.jpg

The headstock on that Epiphone looks OK, what I can't understand is why anyone buys Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs with the headstock Epiphone puts on them, why do they change the headstock to a less suited shape? Why don't people buy Tokai Les Pauls instead with the better looking headstock?

I don't use the switch all that much, and I want to have the switch away from the playing area so it doesn't get knocked. Drilling the control holes. I am hoping the points just poke through the other side

0smddLV.jpg

Yep

msF6UFD.jpg

Avengers' and my invention being constructed again, this is to drill a pilot hole for the jack

AmJ7wbS.jpg

Drilling the pilot hole

ZNErh5n.jpg

Went in about 8 mm with a 22 mm spade bit, oh that is slow work, then increased the size of the pilot hole with ever increasing diameter normal drills

wxWzLab.jpg

Then got the last bit out with the spade again, much quicker when there is less wood to remove. Tidied it up with some sandpaper wrapped around dowel.

1l2IDIZ.jpg

Tissue double sided tape on the back of the cavity template, lined up

ltN9vHx.jpg

QS325jB.jpg

This is the pot I am using, I love these long shanks, I would hate to leave a thin bit of wood on the top of the guitar, these pots let me leave the top over the cavity at 13 mm.

jJ9DZUf.jpg

making sawdust

oz6VHM2.jpg

routing down

iNTp9PL.jpg

Putting the earth wire tunnel in, I drilled a little start hole in the bridge post hole with a normal drill bit

f6FXr6U.jpg

Then got my drill bit made from a wire coat hanger, snipped sharp at one end

ehyuRB8.jpg

It popped out in the right place

LqspQv5.jpg

Slange var

MmmSed9.jpg

• Like 1

So I get to rehearsal on Tuesday night and my amp refused to make any sound, dived into the bottom of my bag for my spare amp

x98vcX9.jpg

and then it was all OK to carry on

JEzVWHl.jpg

today I sunk in the cavity cover, made a template first,

y2X1VyL.jpg

did some digging

RjIi6l2.jpg

then closed off the semicircular ends, and routed out

IngZsNi.jpg

That is sublime.

(What was wrong with your amp)?

SR

It is an amazing photo isn't it, I don't know who took it, it was in the paper on Saturday. My amp is a 1981 model and is prone to say no whenever it likes, so I keep a portable mosfet spare in my gig bag and have a modern tube amp ready to use when my main one in the pits. One of the fuses was blown and when I put a new one in it blew immediately even though the amp was switched off. My favourite amp technician has moved interstate, a friend has given me the contacts of someone is very good. When I get some time I'll drop it into him. Do you like vintage tube amps Scott?

I took the straight edges off the template, and rasped out most of the curves

BmsdxOr.jpg

Took the rest out with a Dremmel and rolled up sandpaper

cNwBHgo.jpg

Screwed the cover in place and drew around it

m4H1hJ4.jpg

Lined up the template

eb8YiNY.jpg