Cherry Bomb

Muzz

Looking Good!! I'm about at the same pace as you are. Slow and steady. This guitar is going to be awesome when its done. Keep up the Great Work!!

Cheers Chris, Just realised that the routing on this is all done, next stage is put the screw holes in the neck pocket and shape the heel.

That did fit nicely.

I love the sound of vintage tube amps. I don't own any, I'm sad to say. I do have a boutique (Category 5) amp that's main purpose in life is to recreate vintage tube amp sounds.

SR

Those Category 5 amps look awesome, I must try one out sometime.

What's happening? Where's the BOWWAHDII?

:D BOWWADHII coming up very soon mate

How long did it take you to find the proper combination of paint cans to come to the correct height?

SR

The paint can tower went straight up, the cardboard box was the second choice, then I fine tuned the height via the drill press stage until the bubble was between the lines on the level. That installation looks so funny and ramshackle, but it was surprisingly stable and did the job :)

• Like 1

Here's the installation for drilling the connection channel from the neck pickup cavity to the bridge pickup cavity, the guitar body is lined up on a centre line drawn on the table, the BOWWADHII is 90 degrees to this, with a hole that leaves 1.5 mm clearance between the drill bit and the bottom of the neck cavity.

04pHZP3.jpg

QbWZvkA.jpg

TWdZDuM.jpg

QQGGBNK.jpg

It came through OK into the bridge PU cavity

VjZDqdA.jpg

You going with that deep red Gibson uses on their mahogany or you got something special in mind?

SR

I am going to try and get as close to the 1970's solid colour

cAaDtp2.jpg

as I can using a transparent finish and Stew Mac Cherry Red stain

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Colors_and_Tints_and_Stains/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

I couldn't find a Destroyer editor so I had to use an SG editor to mock up the hardware combination I am thinking of

2ZIs0gI.jpg

• Like 1

Sandpaper attached to the base of the nut with double sided tape, trimmed flush with a craft knife

BZPWbi1.jpg

Rubbing the nut/sandpaper back and forth to square off and seat the nut

drx9g5S.jpg

WcgYxsg.jpg

Mixing up Aquadhere half and half with water to stick in the nut

80ZD4Cj.jpg

Got my nut stuck on

OHJ3txo.jpg

tPA1pFz.jpg

Next step veneer on the headstock to cover the scarf joint

• Like 1

Rubbing the nut/sandpaper back and forth to square off and seat the nut

Cleverness again.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to steal that.

SR

Glad to see you find a useful technique to use later on, it's the same principle as the way you flatten and square off using your perspex block, just different moveable parts and scaled down a whole lot. Also the first time I have ever fitted an acoustic/Gibson style nut and my first slant headstock.

Drawing about 4 mm outside the headstock template on maple veneer for the front of the headstock. The clamping caul is upper left.

I3BPZIW.jpg

I cut the veneer with a craft knife, put pva glue on both surfaces, positioned and clamped down.

Mha75A3.jpg

Pricking through the veneer with a brad point

3kswgUs.jpg

Stuck a 6 mm brad point in the hole from the other side and cleaned up the holes with a dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it

PVwyVMQ.jpg

The veneer hides the scarf joint and blends in OK with the rest of the headstock

eIzAave.jpg

Just got to open up the truss rod hole, I need to get some thinner dowel to do that

OnXQpty.jpg

and have a go at making the old fashioned Ibanez truss rod cover

spAw77U.jpg

• Like 1

Listening to these albums, hoping the tone of this guitar is going to be as good,

AC/DC - Back in Black

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King

T.Rex - Electric Warier

Slash - World on Fire

Mick Ronson - Play Don't Worry

L.A. Guns - Cocked and Loaded

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

Van Halen - 1984

Backyard Babies - Making Enemies is Good

Thin Lizzy - The Black Rose

Garry Moore - Over the Hills

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Rounding over the edges

03Xjjob.jpg

3ZgRGIL.jpg

Ready for stain

IdLVUVY.jpg

I stained it dark red, then sanded back and stained again with a more dilute stain, just about to get the first coat of 2 pack on it

A8cDSR9.jpg

• Like 1

Looks Great!!! I am really enjoying your thread. You are vary informative on your build and have the every stage documented. I do have a question, because I am new at all this. You rounded over the edges by hand and not a round over bit. Do you prefer doing it by hand? Just asking, because I will need to round over my edges as well.

Looks Great!!! I am really enjoying your thread. You are vary informative on your build and have the every stage documented. I do have a question, because I am new at all this. You rounded over the edges by hand and not a round over bit. Do you prefer doing it by hand? Just asking, because I will need to round over my edges as well.

Cheers Chris, I am very glad I documented a couple of previous builds because this time I had to check back a few times to see how to do some steps :D I have done one body round over with a router previously and I did enjoy doing this one by hand. I could get the edge just as I wanted it, not how the router bit wanted it. To do anything rounder though I would probably go for the router to get the uniformity.

I am very glad I documented a couple of previous builds because this time I had to check back a few times to see how to do some steps :D

I find myself doing the same thing....on every build.

SR

Haha we share a few traits :D

nv6s3cK.jpg

On the downhill run now, its the 4 day Easter Weekend so I should be able to get all the coats on in this time. Strange thing with this timber the dark parts in the grain become the lightest parts when the angle is changed, funny, is there a name for that?