Easy Plan Drawing Software

BillyJ

I like DraftSight. It's virtually identical to AutoCAD if you've ever used that. Powerful, accurate and easy to use once you get the knack.

There's a bit of a learning curve but there are good tutorials available, and pretty much all the AutoCAD tutorials on YouTube are transferrable.

I've been using TurboCAD for years now. Their entry-level software (TurboCAD Designer) is usually about $40 or so and has more than enough functionality to produce plans easily with AutoCAD compatibility. It's not free, but it proved an excellent investment. You should be able to get a trial version to suck it and see.

On the drawing software, you should look for Vector kind of software (if it was not previously mentioned). There are 3 basic different kinds: the graphic design (Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw...), the project and planing design (like all mentioned above, AutoCAD kind, if you will) and the 3D modeling (3DS Max, Maya, and so on). These are mostly pro versions for people who work on these cenarios 24/7. I am not acknowledged to freeware, for I use all of these professionally (major AutoCAD user here).

For guitar design, planing and concept, maybe one should avoid 3D modeling software, for they aren't very print friendly. As for graphics design software, these can be very nice working tools, for they have nicer spline editing tools than AutoCAD, and can be very friendly when testing finishing colors or designs, for preview purposes. They also allow for 1:1 scale printing and very accurate project design, but lack the dimension tools and 3D options most pro level CAD software have.

My choice goes for CAD software, for all the tools these software generally have on dimensions, scaling, math and geometry calculating, 2D and 3D drawing/modeling and print options.

+1 on what SenjuYzu said. The end-use of the software has to be appropriate. Illustration software is not meant for extracting dimensions or calculating geometry. 3D software can also be the same. I've been learning Solidworks recently for more involved multi-part woodworking projects than a guitar.

To answer your question about wiring diagrams, there is nothing better than a pen an paper for this. Until you involve complicated electronics, everything else is only useful for making it look pretty. I'd rather concentrate on what generates the results and applies directly to my workflow.

I use inkscape. Also free, has the bezier curve stuff, etc. I also use it for generating the .dxf's for use in my CAM program. I haven't tried to dimension anything with it, though, so it may or may not have that functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also on inkscape. Imports autocad files and svg fingerboards from fretfind. I can check the dimiensions I need to check and I can print 1:1.

I even took pics of all my top/fingerboard stock to be able to import them and see how stuff would look but didn't get around to scaling them and trying this out yet (probably will though)