Guitar Of The Month - December 2014

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for all members to exhibit their creations and to vote on whose is this month's favourite. The contest is open entry for any and all members. The winner(s) receive a featured article placement at the top of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, default site background wallpaper and privileged member perks across the site (plus a shiny member badge in the forums!). The main ProjectGuitar.com site sees thousands of unique visitors from around the Internet so show off your work for the world to see!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting open. Polls automatically close at the tick of midnight on the 1st of each month.

Tips and Guidelines

• Post a maximum of four eight of your best photos for each guitar entered.
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise one will be given to it. :)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your background as a builder helps give context to your build. Knowing whose build is a "first-timer" and those of highly experienced builders can change a voter's mind in the contest. Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec? What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen? Any background on what makes it special, etc. Tell us more about the instrument!
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by seasoned builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread tend to attract more votes from the general community.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you are unable to link/post photographs or have any other questions about the GOTM contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch! In general it is recommended to upload your photos into ProjectGuitar.com Gallery and inserting them using the "My Media" button in the post editor.

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:croudwaits

This will be my first entry to GOTM, but not my first build. I am simply calling this the MS Strat.

This was originally built simply to be a beater guitar, but as I let the idea roll around, I decided I would try a multiscale strat, simply because I hadn't seen one. Believe it or not, this is my first strat, both possession and build wise. This is build 15-ish for me, made in the garage. No build thread, as I was too busy working to snap pictures and such. Just the results of an obsessed hobbyist. Relevant specs:

- Basswood body

- Chechen neck with curly maple skunk stripe, Danish oil and wax finish

- Bloodwood fretboard with abalone side and face dots

- Multiscale, 25.5 to 24.5625", 8th perp, zero fret

- Electronics are just stock inexpensive ones. I am thinking this may become a test bed for a sustainer and other mods

- Bridge was made from a chunk of aluminum I had kicking around. This was orginally drilled for a standard bridge, so the bridge needed to cover the through holes on top

- Nitrocellulose over my own color creation for the body

- Brushed hardware

DSCN2021_zpsc38bd5e9.jpg

DSCN2022_zpsbe7375ae.jpg

DSCN2023_zpsce892dab.jpg

DSCN2024_zps12c710de.jpg

• Like 3

This is my first entry in GOTM and my first full build. I've named it American Beauty.

I was originally building this guitar with the idea that I'd use some old pine I had laying around from a waterbed, and build it on the cheap. I spent less than $150 on the entire build, just because if I messed something up I wouldn't be out much money. I wanted a pine Tele since the Classic Vibe came out a few years ago, so here it is.

Specs:

- Pine body with 3/8 Birdseye Maple top, faux binding, Nitro finish

- Maple neck, medium jumbo frets, Nitro finish

- Standard 25.5 inch scale, Gotoh tuners

- Random pickups, bridge, and controls found on eBay: $25 total

- Back and top are actually stained the same color. Used a water based dye and diluted the top color.

- Buffed steel wool finish

Thanks for looking! It's been fun lurking around the last few years. Burned up my bandsaw motor halfway through the build and had to replace it too!

IMG_0015-1.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Edited by crafty

• 2 weeks later...

A close friend has named this one "Goldie". Kinda cheesy but she's stuck with it now.

I'd been saving a piece of South American mahogany I found as well as a nice piece of cocobolo I acquired a while ago for a build that had a simple natural finish. This was originally going to have nickel hardware on it but I felt gold would do it more justice. Here is the end result.

Specs are: Matching mahogany body/neck

Cocobolo truss cover, fretboard, cavity cover, headstock veneer (both sides) and body binding.

Neck has med fretwire, gold and white MOP and is bound in figured maple and a bone nut.

Tone pros AVG2 bridge and hipshot open back tuners.

Pickups are Sheptone custom AB's with a simple volume, tone and three way.

Finished in Mohawk nitrocellulose lacquer.

IMG_1691_zps2fe2f052.jpg

IMG_1735_zpsc3a4994b.jpg

IMG_1816_zps1dd57748.jpg

IMG_1718_zpsea0a331a.jpg

AIMG_1748_zpsc47fb2c8.jpg

IMG_1730_zpscddbcca8.jpg