Mixing Single Coil with Humbucker

verhoevenc

im building a jazzmaster type guitar right now and was thinking what to do with the upper controls. I was thinking maybe putting a SC sized rail bucker in the middle position that you could add in to any of the standard 3-way positions with the jazzmaster pickups. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Does adding a humbucker to a Singlecoil effectively still buck him? Or does it sound as hun-ridden as an SC by itself since there's one more cool of a single polarity/wind direction?

Chris

not having tried this myself, I wouldn't expect the amount of noise with the added humbucker to be less than without.

Considering just the noise (no sound from strings) adding a signal with no (little) noise [the humbucker] to a signal with some noise [the SC] you will have no (little) change..

(HB is adding noise to noise but out-of-phase so (noise - noise) = zero. Here it is as you said: noise + (noise - noise) = noise)

I have a strat where I replaced one of the tone controls with a blend control that adds the middle pup in or out of phase (in the middle position its silent). And the 5-way is giving different combinations of the bridge and neck. Maybe just put a sc in middle and add in in/out with a 3-way switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Now THIS is interesting... Fender seems to have actually used the concept. Now, there's no hum in the video in ANY position... so it's hard to tell anything from this video. But apparently the 2000's Marauder from Fender has a "triple bucker" in the bridge. In position 2 it uses all 3 coils. I'll have to see if there's one around this area somewhere to mess with.

Chris

All three coils (position 2) appears to be two coils in series plus a third coil in parallel with the series chain, which is notionally the same as humbucker plus separate single. But who knows what the construction of the three "coils" is actually like - for all we know it could be a conventional two-coil humbucker with a stacked single alongside it to minimise hum.

Check out this pdf here on page 6. Looks like the author has broken down the original wiring while coming up with a new switching scheme.

At around 10:55 while he's gas-bagging about the different sounds and cranking up the gain on the amp you can hear some buzz and hum, but no more than a standard humbucker. Just before he starts playing he's selected the neck pickup (position 5) which appears to have the same amount of hum as the bridge single (pos 3) he was just playing a moment prior. Could be that all the "singles" in the guitar are stacked humbuckers.