Mirror Ball Jem update

Jem7RB UK

"Jammy" Wrote:Freaking BRILLIANT mate! I love it! its gonna look amazing when youve got the whole guitar together. Are you doin the headstock? B)

I had'nt thought of doing the headstock :D

"nyjbkim" Wrote:How long did it take you?

First few lines took ages,then got taken off,All in all,About 6 hours (they are single tiles)

"Hotrock" Wrote:Good job dude, you happy with it? And Where's the jack socket gone? Is it the standard strat socket in the side of the guitar?

I'll be very happy once it's finished,I have a comicbook Jem just starting as well :D .... Jem style Jacksocket :D

"guitar_ed" Wrote:What does it weigh compared to a standard paint job?

About the same as normal,It's hard to tell really,Yes it add's a little weight,But not too much (honest) I'll weigh it up later actually,I have 2 jem bodys waiting naked B)

And finally,Thank you for your nice comments :D

Rob

Very cool, Rob! Are you going to do the pickguard as well? (or put a mirrored guard on there?) I think a mirrorballed pickguard would look cooler than a solid mirror. Definitely gotta do the headstock to match.

I like the way you followed the contours of the body... with those smaller tiles, i think it definitely looks better than the mirrorball Universe that Vai has.

Very cool, Rob! Are you going to do the pickguard as well? (or put a mirrored guard on there?) I think a mirrorballed pickguard would look cooler than a solid mirror. Definitely gotta do the headstock to match.

I like the way you followed the contours of the body... with those smaller tiles, i think it definitely looks better than the mirrorball Universe that Vai has.

thanks Darren :D Sweet comments

I was thinking of a chrome guard,or mirror balling an old guard,The only problem with it all is i'll be blind if i ever have to look at it :D On the plus side,I'll be seen from outer space :D

Jammy,I have a chrome toggle switch,but no switch for it to fit B)

Anyone got a chrome s/coil cover to donate?

I think i may have enough tiles to do the headstock,but not the guard as well :D May have to go Chrome ?

Rob

The only problem with it all is i'll be blind if i ever have to look at it B) On the plus side,I'll be seen from outer space :D

Isn't that the whole point? :D

I'd say do the headstock first and if you have enough left over, do the guard. If not, just go with a mirrored guard, and it'll look cool. But the overall sparkly effect will be lost.

have you thought about maybe having the gaurd a slightlly off white colour?? eg a blue tint or something to it, i dunno if it could be done but IMHO i think it would look damn cool

from what ive seen there i think it'll turn out ace however you finish it

I think the black guard looks trick, I think doing the headstock could pose some problems in your tuners, but I'm not sure how thick your mirror pieces are, it'd be a bitch cutting them for around the holes though, and with the added thickness the threads in the tuners might not actually catch anymore. I like it just how it is, it looks guady, but not overdone guady (is there such a thing?)

Sometimes the most difficult part of a project like this is knowing when to stop. What are you doing with the sides and back of it?

"LGM Guitars" Wrote:What are you doing with the sides and back of it?

"Jammy" Wrote:Im hoping there going black

Yup,it's a fine flake metallic black,Unsure wether to texture it as well? I think i'm gonna go for it as is

"LGM Guitars" Wrote:I think doing the headstock could pose some problems in your tuners

Indeed,Of course i shall lay the mirrors flat first,See if i have clearance,If not i may folloe contours like i did with the plate (Jeremy YOU taught me that trick when doing scratchplates on re-fins ... Thanks)

We'll see how it goes,I have too much too do,The Mirror Ball,A Comic Book Jem(i miss my Jackson) of course my RG7 custom and my Patrick Eggle :D

Rob

As LGM said, when doing something like this, ya gotta know when to stop. A mirrored pickgaurd would be going too far IMO, the black kind of, as LGM said, makes it gaudily cool, without being too gaudy. I think doing the headstock would be awesome, but if you do, you gotta do the trim thing around the tuners, as you did around the pickgaurd and grip and such, ta make it match.

I almost forgot, FRICKIN' AWESOME. I love it. I always wanted one of my own.... but decided I'm not skilled enough to do it.

oh, and one more thing, The pickgaurd cover looks too dull, it doesn't flow with the shinyness. I think that black cover would be perfect if it was made shiny, with like some clear coat and a bit of polishing, if at all possible.

Great job.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Anyone got a chrome s/coil cover to donate?

Funny, I've been wonder what to do with one.....And the first thing I noticed was the 2 chrome hums and the ugly black single coil. PM me yr mai addy and I'll mail it to ya. And yes, I realize yer in the UK...but I have the cover, and I cant bear to see the Jem with out it.

Also, Home depot in the states sells mirror acrylic. I can make ya a pickguard if ya dont wanna do the WD thing.