Jump to content

A Les Paul for Junior

Recommended Posts

See what I did there . .

So hey my first build for some time . . . and it's one I've been promising my 6 year old for some time!

It's a 85% scaled down version of a Les Paul - albeit I am going to take some artistic license and it'll end up being more of a Les Paul Junior than a Les Paul . . . anyhow . .

The build is being built from some salvage yard Cypress and also a piece of a Cadagi which is from a trunk of tree which was cut down in a friends garden (they are actually classed as weeds around here!)

So one piece of Cypress cut in half


Link to comment
Share on other sites

bam . .


Not a bad looking piece of wood!

It's take about 4 weeks of clamping flat after the initial cut out from the half trunk to get it settle so I could plane and glue it. The log had been air drying for around 1 year!


(yes I the top where the neck pocket will be looks uneven and it is however as that are will all be remove for pocket it's no hassle, also the top left curve look straight because there was a minor (very minor look worse in the photo that it is) tear out on the router when shaping, however as it will be bound this will be removed anyway!)

Edited by SJE-Guitars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting to look like a guitar (will clean up the pocket tomorrow night) . . .


Another little share here are the templates I made to do the pickup pockets - getting all 21st century with my 3D printer to print the white template which I then templated to the template! :


I have to say the translation from CAD to the printer and in turn routed is very neat and very accurate! :)

Edited by SJE-Guitars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The good old 3d printer really makes these kinds of work easy, since it essentially a plastic dispensing CNC the accuracy is repeatable. The biggest restriction is obviously the size limitation of the printing platform.

Templates for the rear pocket recesses and covers will be created using the 3D printer also - then the coup de grace will be the pickups which will be made using 3d printed coils and base and pickup rings (I've already do the design work on these so I know they'll work) - obviously as I am designing and printing them they'll be custom string spacing match to this guitar as it's a 85% scaled down LP. :)

For the neck I have Cherry and Honey Myrtle - unsure whether to use a single wood or put a single stringer of Myrtle between Cherry . . . photos will follow along with the pickups.


Edited by SJE-Guitars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So tonight has been a night of more template making - so of course 3D printing! :)

Ok so as mentioned I did the CAD for this 85% scale LP previously so now it been a case of turning those CAD drawings into 3D CAD and printing them - so the neck . .. as you can see due to the length I had to print it in two pieces (3 if you include the headstock):


However this is no big deal with a 3D printer you merely print some hole and some dowels to hold it together:


A bit of super glue to hold it together and a bit of routing and voila:


Chocks under it to check scale length and things are all centred and aligned:


Hey a headless LP:


That's all for now - the 3D printer is currently creating the headstock template - it's so nice to be able to print the CAD diagrams in a solid form rather that struggling with CAD diagrams stuck on bits of wood!


Edited by SJE-Guitars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well it's been a while - some progress:

The top has been carved - I started out not really intending to do a fully carved top - but hey - here we are!


All came out very well - done via the combination of router steps and an angle grinder with sanding disk:


Neck - hmm yes I kind of got carried away and shaped the whole thing up without doing the truss rod - hey it's been a while since I made a neck! Never mind I'll manufacture a jig to do it once I have the rod:


The scarf joint came out excellently even if I say it myself, the line is barely visible, will be interesting to see how visible it is after shaping..


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chopped of the top and bottom - along with a shot of the finish produced by the radius bit:

A pretty perfect radius - I think you'll agree:


The finish - it shouldn't take more than a few minutes with some 400 grit to shine up:


Now to sort out the truss rod routing! :)

Edited by SJE-Guitars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I radiused the fretboard tonight . . . using one of my radiusing router bit . . . :)


That is a great system

Cheers - just one $18 piece of Alu + 1 router bit + $4 roll of tape + router table = perfect radius :)

I also tackled the elephant in the room (the truss rod routing . . ) and it came out pretty well - it is about a mm off centre but I aren't complaining it's totally straight - now I just need to die the thread down the rod and cut it to size (along with fitting it correctly! :)


You can see the jig(!) I used in the background of the pic - nothing special merely a piece of wood thicknessed and clamped to the in feed side of my fence, this ensured the rear of the neck was level with the widest point of the headstock, then just slide it over, it was real easy in the end! :)

Edited by SJE-Guitars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...