Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

2 hours ago, VanKirk said:

Earlier this year, while attending a guitar exhibition, I found a very nice couple selling figured maple. I talked for quite awhile to them and the owner gave me a good deal on a couple of billets and veneer. I was stoked to find a local supplier. While on FB, another contact of mine posted this article; http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Feds-Music-wood-poachers-targeted-6427888.php#item-38490

I still have the wood and was going to make a present for my wife with some of the wood I got but now I feel it is tainted. What to do, what to do. I think that what's done is done, the Feds are dealing with him but I would not like playing an instrument that I know is made from illegally acquired wood from an area that I've enjoyed hiking through. Maybe I'll make a sweet address post for the front of the house. Find something that is useful but not so connected to something as personal as creating music. I'd hate to toss over $200 in useable, figured maple and waste the trees that were felled because of some greedy little thieves.

Do something people can learn from. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a funny month. I've started a supplementary professional degree course some evenings to go on top of my existing manufacturing woodworker degree. Nina's joined too which is cool. Our son got

I have no idea why but I get excited like a kid when I get a haul of lumber in like that. I smiled when I saw that pic Mikro. The only sad part is when its gone after your project is done. whil

I've got a couple of fires in the iron, and definitely. That's what I'm going to do. Firstly I'm going to his union tomorrow to call his bluff on the bullshit (which I have in writing) which he has be

Posted Images

I am putting together a solution for my Wife's law firm for court.

I'm connecting a hotspot, Apple TV, airport express, PA and associated audio equipment and a HD projector so they can wirelessly project images and audio in the courtroom. I customized a travel case already for it but I think maybe I will put the bulk of the equipment and cabling inside a box made from this poached wood.

there is a certain irony in knowing this illegally acquired wood is being used to help people receive the money that their insurance companies refuse to pay out.

I friggen hate those stupid attack sites.Damn site locked me in while searching for info on a tv show with that tired old "we detect a virus,click to remove it"

Of course I wouldn't click it,but it froze me out of all my navigation options and I had to go into my settings and clear all stored data in my browser...lost all my bookmarks.

People who fancy themselves as intelligent and then write viruses are some of the lowest form of scum on the planet.

• Like 1

Same here. I don't think there needs to be any sort of private area for members other than the publisher/moderator/admin areas which are understandably off-limits. I am making a concerted effort to avoid any sort of "us and them" kind of thing where certain non-staff members have more rights than others. We're all here for more or less the same reason after all.

One nice surprise this holiday season has been the really great markdowns on precious metals at the online store I buy from.

I know,that seems weird,but the price over spot most stores charge is how they make money,and the have cut that down pretty dang low since Thanksgiving.I hope they keep that up through Christmas so I can take advantage of it.

They postponed the release on No Man's Sky until June...that sucks.

Yesterday I went into Bastrop to get a couple of 'puter chairs for my big house.They are always comfy,cheap and small so I like them.Of course,being a man and not some lazy ass kid I woke up before 7 and drank coffee,then ran to Best Buy only to find they didn't open until 10...grrr.

Went and did my grocery shopping,got a coffee at Starbucks,ate my breakfast,and got there to find they opened earlier than the posted time...so I went in and discovered they had ni chairs even though the website said they did.

Left,went next door to Staples only to find the really weren't going to open until 10...so I went to Academy and bought two 25pound dumbells(i have 20s,30s and 50s already) and went and sat in my Suburban feeling like I was wasting my whole day.

It all worked out though,because Staples had chairs out the ass...so I got my chairs.Today I am trying to finish my kitchen floor...

Not sure why I have decided to run a half marathon in a couple of hours in this cold. 

I'm really loving playing my latest build. I'm far too lazy to upload pics since I'm on an iPad at the moment but maybe I'll do it later.

Edited by VanKirk

What's that....thirteen miles or something? Cripes. I did a 10km (just under quarter) a few years back and did alright. I wasn't shifting around as much weight back then though....plus I wasn't almost forty....and I was doing Muay Thai three times a week....and it was a warm day....

Officially a half fanatic to be exact. Which gets me a good discount on running gear and apparel. My wife's firm was the main sponsor and they wanted a team to represent them. I went very slow for co-workers to keep up. No one whined and all seemed to enjoy it.

I am eating a big bowl of Breyers thin mint ice cream without shame. I burned a lot of calories today. Probably more toy shopping with my kid than during the run. 

Edited by VanKirk
  • Like 1