Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a funny month. I've started a supplementary professional degree course some evenings to go on top of my existing manufacturing woodworker degree. Nina's joined too which is cool. Our son got

I have no idea why but I get excited like a kid when I get a haul of lumber in like that. I smiled when I saw that pic Mikro. The only sad part is when its gone after your project is done. whil

I've got a couple of fires in the iron, and definitely. That's what I'm going to do. Firstly I'm going to his union tomorrow to call his bluff on the bullshit (which I have in writing) which he has be

Posted Images

I was picking up some teriyaki chicken and this '58 Impala was out front. The pic doesn't do it justice and when he started it up it had that sweet V8 note, very smooth running and almost quiet until you give it a little gas and she comes alive with some balls. I want!

11212740_1422760741376546_52444949830459

Ordered some engine parts for my 72.Cam and intake.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00032

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226012

As you can likely tell from the parts,I am going for increased power throughout the rpm range...being a truck I feel it's important to pull stuff sometimes.

Anyway,next week I'll order the Summit clones of the old Chevy double humpers and then top it off with one of the new Street Demon carbs and an HEI distributor.All that should give me some oomph and still be well mannered.

Summit also has some nice TH350 transmissions with shift kits already installed for less than a grand.I only want to build this truck once so I am going all new drivetrain.

After that I'll replace the U joints in the driveshaft and install a 3.73 rear.

Then I can start on the body.

• Like 1

Took the engine out and tore it down to the short block today.The last rebuild is still fresh enough that I can see the cross hatch pattern from the hone in the cylinders.It looks to be all in order,so that will save me some money.Four bolt main.Doused an old sheet in oil and wrapped it to keep moisture out since it may take a month or so to get everything I need.

A lot of people sacrifice dependability for looks or "more power" ,but I feel headers have no place on a vehicle you wish to drive.

Yeah,I don't visit too many sites regularly so this one being down made a dent.

The problems with headers are most people buy those cheap $100 headers from summit. The last set I naught was for my mustang I spent about $600 for them and they where the best set I ever owned I never had a gasket blow and the flanges never leaked plus they where ceramic coated so no excess heat or rust.

These had really thick flanges,but the bolts were so close to the tubes you couldn't torque them to specs.If you can't torque to specs,a gasket will blow eventually.Not ceramic coated.

But really,it's about how much they can flow.They do make good exhaust manifolds that do flow plenty for a 300-400hp smallblock.

Especially if you get in there with a die grinder and clean them up.

Edited by westhemann

A good set of headers with the right can and intake can really make a difference if set up just right the header can pull a vacume on the cyclinders pulling the intake charge into the cylinded that's why you have overlap on your cam.

That said the last set of headers I baught was 8 or 9 years ago these days I just don't feel the need to build up my car and its kept me out of trouble these last few years

My cheapness wins again.I ordered the double hump clones from Summit.Part of it is that I don't like the way Vortec intakes bolt on.Plus I am worried the larger Vortec runners would take away some of my low end torque and might not behave well with a low compression bottom end.

Mostly though I feel the $300 difference will be better spent on other stuff.