This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

It's time for a new build. And since builds have been scarce around here lately, I'm gonna make it last a really long time just to give everybody something to look at......really just to amuse myself. :)

I give a few details to start: It will have a zebrawood body witha madrone burl top. It will have a zebrano / macassar / zebrano neck with a macassar ebony fretboard. It will be heavily carved in new and unusual ways.

I still dont' have a thickness sander so I'm using my trusty sanding table set up to prepare the glueing surfaces. That means marking the surface of the board with pencil lines and sanding them all away....and then do it again a couple of times to make sure you got it right.

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

I left the zebrawood full sized to help disperse the clamping pressure. When it's out of the clamps, I'll trim the excess off to use for stringers in a future build.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

I got started prepping the glueing surface for the body. Same pencil lines and here I use my fence and band saw table to keep it flat and square.

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

I gotta admit, it feels really good to be doing this again. :hyper

SR

• Like 2

Well cool! There appears to be some interest in how this thing may turn out. I honestly am not sure how much I'm going to like it compared to my more normal(ish) builds.....but the idea has been fermenting in my head for going on six months now. I gotta get it out see how it will work.

Thanks for the early encouragement!

SR

Well cool! There appears to be some interest in how this thing may turn out. I honestly am not sure how much I'm going to like it compared to my more normal(ish) builds.....but the idea has been fermenting in my head for going on six months now. I gotta get it out see how it will work.

Thanks for the early encouragement!

SR

My early encouragement too, love to see these timbers and techniques being used.

Interesting Timber combo. Interested to see how it looks all together.

Also curious to see what carving you're mind is plotting as we all know you have mad skills in that department!

I'm curious to see that as well. Here's to hoping it looks the same as it does in my head.

SR

I'm also keen to see what other features you're going to give this one in line with the "Super" in "Super Strat". Active pickups? Floating trem? Dayglo neon paintwork? Spandex? :P

Err....That S is mostly about the shape being a double cut having large pointed horns and a couple of 'buckers instead of single coils. My first choice for those have been discontinued, so I'm getting a set of Klein "Wicked PAFs". One of my favorite players uses those specifically, and I love his sound, so I'm looking forward to hearing them. No actives or trems, the only neon I'd be likely to try would be from a tree grown near a nuclear reactor. Let me think about the spandex. I'm hoping that S doesn't end up standing for silly......but if it does maybe the spandex can save it.

Maul and Muzz, thanks for coming to the party!

SR

Interesting Timber combo. Interested to see how it looks all together.

Also curious to see what carving you're mind is plotting as we all know you have mad skills in that department!

I'm curious to see that as well. Here's to hoping it looks the same as it does in my head.

SR

Hey, maybe it will look even better than it does in your head! That happens to me occasionally, you never know!

Looking forward to watching your progress Scott. Your builds are always very cool.

After spending some time in my music room, this may be one I finally try to figure out how to sell.......unless I get to attached to it as it comes to life. That tends to happen to me. I certainly don't need any more guitars, and yet--I don't have one like this one. So far.

Speaking of updates on new or current projects.........?

SR

Will definitely be following this with interest! I'm in the market for inspiration for another build (already!). Thinking along pointy, SS, seven-string lines.. (does that make it an SSSS?)

I love the look of that macassar for a fretboard - I'd never heard of it before. Can't wait to see this emerge from the veil of mystery...

• Like 1

After spending some time in my music room, this may be one I finally try to figure out how to sell.......unless I get to attached to it as it comes to life. That tends to happen to me. I certainly don't need any more guitars, and yet--I don't have one like this one. So far.

SR

Seems like if one is going to continue building that you'd have to start selling eventually. Curious to see how it goes.

As far as current projects. They're going but I've just been horrible about posting lately. Seems there is always en excuse to prevent it. Two weeks ago I had a pipe burst in my house and there have been crews in my house doing repair work ever since. Sunday was the first day I've had without them in a while. I have three bolt-ons with a revised design going at the moment. I'll get off my duff and post em. Just give me some love when I do because its been a ghost town around here lately. :huh:

Will definitely be following this with interest! I'm in the market for inspiration for another build (already!). Thinking along pointy, SS, seven-string lines.. (does that make it an SSSS?)

I love the look of that macassar for a fretboard - I'd never heard of it before. Can't wait to see this emerge from the veil of mystery...

I think macassar ebony is much more striking to look at than Camaroon....although there is certainly a time and place for a jet black fretboard. That particular piece in the first pic actually is the center lam of the neck. But the fretboard does look similar, with a little more swirl and color to the grain.

I hope this does prove to provide some inspiration. :) I should probably put out one of those disclaimers though--don't try this at home! There will be alternate or easier ways to do some of the stuff I do. :D

SR

SR

Seems like if one is going to continue building that you'd have to start selling eventually. Curious to see how it goes.

As far as current projects. They're going but I've just been horrible about posting lately. Seems there is always en excuse to prevent it. Two weeks ago I had a pipe burst in my house and there have been crews in my house doing repair work ever since. Sunday was the first day I've had without them in a while. I have three bolt-ons with a revised design going at the moment. I'll get off my duff and post em. Just give me some love when I do because its been a ghost town around here lately. :huh:

I'm curious to see how that goes as well! Hell, I'm curious to see if I'll even be able to let go of the thing when it's done. I do get attached to them. I still miss Justin's guitar, and I last got to see and play it over Christmas.

Burst pipes suck extremely. I went through a every pipe blows up event once years ago. Definitely not worth repeating.

As far as love, you got it brother. Things may be picking up, seeing how much traction this thing's gotten after no more than a shot of some boards glued together. :D

I am pleasantly surprised.

SR

Things may be picking up, seeing how much traction this thing's gotten after no more than a shot of some boards glued together. :D

I am pleasantly surprised.

Things have been a bit quiet around here recently, but it's good to see some activity again.

I must get back on the bandwagon myself. I have all the parts for the next build, but have been focusing on different projects recently.