This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

In this case I cut the zebrawood into the ebony for several reasons. The first being it's location. I need to start out the out side edge becasue that is where my thickness reference mark is. Then as you mention, the zebrawood is finicky about the direction of your cut. Cut in the wrong direction and you get a nice chunk that split off along the the grain. I do want the piece to be shaped as if it were one piece of wood, so I do cut across the joint....but always from the zebrawood side. The blade coming out of zebra and into ebony follows the plane of the cut, it just doesn't bite as deep into the ebony. Coming from the other direction can give a bite that goes too deep into the zebrawood. Sanding is the opposite though. You've got to use a hard block and start everything with the ebony.

SR

Now I always use hard sanding blocks when working on wood combos like we are talking about. Still all this is way better than working on ash.

If you remember I like to use a grinder to do this sort of shaping. Rasps and some other toothy type devices are usually less likely to make a mess than a blade. So I commend you for going old skool because it is not easy at all to do what you do.

• Like 1

It took a while.....

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

But I did make it to the end of the day.

IMG_0470.JPG

And the next day we drilled for fret markers and side dots.

IMG_0472.JPG

I had a couple of minor chips and one blow out on the 24th fret. I filled that with epoxy and ebony dust just to fill the space. The fret will cover nearly all of it.

SR

I picked up a radius block from Lmii. It was 12" and radiused 16" on one side and 20" on the other and was cheaper than StewMac's and it said it was hardwood.

IMG_0475.JPG

Technically that was true, but the hardwood was Poplar......not an especially hard hardwood. I figure I'll use it to radius some Bubinga I have and then use that to turn my 14" acrylic block into 16" and 20" radius sanders.

As it turns out, the poplar did a fine job with no damage.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Thanks Matt.

The dot is pretty much like the big diamond earring you see some guys wear. Useless ornamentation ....but it gets noticed. It is really nothing more than a spot of color on the headstock. I like abalone, I don't enjoy inlaying and I've never seen a dot just used as a spot of color......on a headstock.

I like it.

SR

• Like 1

Did it gain that magical look like it's under glass? My seven-string has only a plain Indian Ebony board, but that polished up something magical. Those flecks you see in Ziricote seemed to be under the surface in that one. Good polished pieces blow the black stuff out of the water. Especially when its seen some black dye like many manufacturers....

Yeah, it did. I'm a firm believer that a high polish makes at least some of the fibers in the grain so reflective that they just jump when the light hits them. Much more so than just sanding up to 400 or 600. And then put a nice coat of oil on them--mmmm-mmmm.

SR