This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

Beautiful guitar, and beautiful Shih tzu, (Maltese?)

Thanks, and good eye!

That's the south end of a northbound Shih tzu-Pekingese cross named Cooper who obviously couldn't care less about the difficulties of taking decent pictures of guitars. :D

SR

• Like 1

Thanks Muzz. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You would not however, enjoy a vid of me playing it. My buddy with a studio pretty much shut that down a few years back, so my ability to post good examples of how my latest few builds sound no longer exists. The pups I put in it are not as hot as a typical metal guitar as I like to retain some tone even when pushing them hard.

They are the same pickups Mike Zito puts in his guitars.....so if he was playing this one through his rig......it would sound like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsjccC2_FA

SR

• 2 weeks later...

lookin good Scott. I think this is your best head stock carve so far. the darker central strip taking the SR motif & the black tuners is perfect. The rest of the guitar is realy sweet but that fookin headstock just stands out as the best feature here - for me at least.

You know, I've gone into these picture re-post exercises, thinking it will be a royal PITA....and time wise it has been, but I also must say that I've enjoyed re-living the build and commentary, too. This did turn out to be a very well balanced easy playing guitar. I will say that I plan to go back and make a narrower nut and taper the neck just a bit more. I seem to have gotten over my fondness of extra wide string spacing. I've just been waiting for one of those round tuits to show up. They are getting more scarce every day.:D

SR

In some ways this is a unique exercise....I think that we seldom find the time or need to go through build logs retroactively and do a bit of woulda-coulda-shoulda. We're all constantly learning and improving, and seeing a snapshot of our thought processes can be pretty important in seeing how far we have come (or not).

3 hours ago, sdshirtman said:

This has such an organic feel to it.  My favorite detail on this build by far is the neck to heel transition. Are you sure you're not a Gwar fan Scott?

Nope, never caught on to Gwar.:D

But organic was definitely the theme for this guitar. I love that your favorite element is the neck transition. I suspect that you are pretty much alone in that. From a players standpoint (which I am not), that transition feels amazing. This is the easiest playing guitar that I've built to date.

SR