KEA 2015 builds (still dragging on)

Yes yes, i am still alive. Slightly!

Being OCD with a strong will is difficult. As much trouble i have had with guitars, my will and desire to not be defeated still keeps me building these things. I am sure it will kill me at some point.
I have built a few so far this year. I cant believe i started off the year only building strats. But hey, its what the people want.

Here is a Quilted Makore strat i made for a returning customer. This is his 3rd guitar. He was going to put the hardware on himself again.
25.5" scale, 7 piece Mahogany, walnut, paduak and maple neck.
24 fret pau ferro fretboard

Bookmatched quilted makore veneer on top

Awesome looking flamed mahogany body.
I also started to carve the heel and back horn more dramatically. It feels great and looks cool too.

014_zpsebv0vtgd.jpg
013_zpsj9ti2bpr.jpg
012_zpsqploiatx.jpg
011_zpsxp7pgw7i.jpg
010_zps7gf4lqhz.jpg
009_zps624ywuer.jpg
008_zpsaon5vphh.jpg
007_zpsfr4enghl.jpg
006_zpsyhwwlfrb.jpg
005_zpsbgnf2gyk.jpg
004_zpshf1g7vmg.jpg
003_zps1hoj5gdl.jpg
002_zpsu7v7fudh.jpg
001_zpsf8gfvile.jpg

• Like 2

Next up was a flame maple strat. This flame maple veneer i got is INSANE. It has an easy 5a figure and is quartersawn.
I could have made the color more vibrant, but my friend saw it and liked it the way it is and is going to buy it like this.
Same exact specs as above, except with a zebrawood fretboard.

blue%20008_zpsvmcmgs4u.jpg
blue%20007_zpshkaf0oj4.jpg
blue%20006_zpsignl85vr.jpg
blue%20005_zpsxlzztt4m.jpg
blue%20004_zps9o9ffi6f.jpg
blue%20003_zpsihq65ctm.jpg
blue%20002_zpsojlirmwl.jpg
blue%20001_zpsn4do2dzw.jpg

040_zps4f0xeha8.jpg
039_zpscypsd2o4.jpg
027_zpsihx6y8v3.jpg
026_zpswqbpaaf1.jpg
023_zpsz4okv3ow.jpg
009_zpsbcjydkur.jpg

• Like 1

Third we have a Quilted makore King V.

This one is for another repeat customer, his 3rd of mine as well.

This one has bookmatched quilted makore veneer on both the front and the back.
Waiting on a proper sized drill bit to drill the posts for the tone pros bridge, since they use a ridiculous size.

V%20018_zpsui45hgyu.jpg
V%20014_zpscr7rwpm0.jpg
V%20010_zpshrzeaef6.jpg
V%20009_zpst3etevry.jpg

018_zpsm6ucxmho.jpg
017_zpsidvzpec2.jpg
015_zpstpssuq2m.jpg
014_zpsg88558mg.jpg
013_zps7cb6otyw.jpg
012_zpsx64yigae.jpg
011_zpsplo0rnwe.jpg
004_zpsknkakrc5.jpg

• Like 1

Guitar building is a very tough habit to kick! I's so glad you haven't been able to do so yet. :D These are stunning as usual. Man, you get the best quilted veneer! I really like the added contours to the neck join and cut on the double cuts. All three fretboards are sweet too, I'm going to have to remember the zebra wood board. I like the look and I happen to have a fair amount of the stuff. You even threw in some background scenery that looks like we expect New Mexico to look like. Very cool how the colors in that guitar match the background too.

Keep 'em coming Luis.

SR

These look incredible, the blue finish really suits the slightly unusual lighter fretboard colour. I hope your friend is a very happy owner!

Do you mind me asking how you make the very fine stringer in your neck lams? Is it a thin piece of maple (or similar) laminated on and then planed back to get the pinstripe thickness? Or do you use a different material entirely? I really like the additional contrast it gives.

D

Thanks everybody. I have one other strat i didnt post yet that is going to be much better looking than the ones i posted.

These look incredible, the blue finish really suits the slightly unusual lighter fretboard colour. I hope your friend is a very happy owner!

Do you mind me asking how you make the very fine stringer in your neck lams? Is it a thin piece of maple (or similar) laminated on and then planed back to get the pinstripe thickness? Or do you use a different material entirely? I really like the additional contrast it gives.

D

It is actually just maple veneer. It comes in 1/42" thickness. I just glue it between my neck laminates.

I also think i may have found a solution to my finish problem woes.
I found a polyester finish that is designed for surf boards. It cures by UV/ sunlight. It literally dries rock hard in 3 minutes once exposed to sunlight.
I just used it as a sealer on a strat and it worked great. Gave me a great clear, hard flat surface to spray color and clear on. I think it solved my finish problems of it sinking into the grain. Since it cures by UV light, in that 3 minutes it is as hard as it will ever be.
The color came out amazing... I dont have pics of it yet though. but this flame maple and color is something close to a PRS private stock look.

• Like 1

You using Solarez Luis?

Yes, this was the first guitar i tried it out on. I had higher expectations for it being sprayable, but it didnt work at all even after being heated up. It sprayed horribly and turned white instantly. so i just brushed it on in a thick coat instead.

• Like 1

Red is so dang hard to photograph! This is the most amazing figured/ colored guitar i have ever built. It is what i picture when i think of awesome colored flame maple, and i cant capture it in pictures.
Here are a few. But it is a lot different in person. The darker red burst around the edges really explodes in natural light. Looks like a ruby.
021_zpswuupo5qt.jpg
019_zps2umgens3.jpg
018_zpsdisrnz8r.jpg
017_zpsh32nylis.jpg
012_zpsibj7lcnt.jpg
011_zpsgmgn2nai.jpg
007_zpsfodgpnny.jpg
003_zpsjdz5mf96.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks man. I am extremely happy with how it looks. I am trying ot get a buyer for it while offering it with whatever pickups they want. No luck yet.

Here is another build i am working on. Macassar ebony veneer on an EXP shape. Macassar ebony fretboard to match.

Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20007_zps9jxzmtuw.
Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20003_zpscbex76tg.
Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20002_zpso1dlbgvq.
Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20001_zpsnbprp59n.

Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20010_zpsq4yfh0at.
Macassar%20Ebony%20EX%20008_zpspxunfqkt.
002_zpsdubokptz.jpg
001_zps0uigdpue.jpg

• Like 1

I am extremely happy with how it looks.

Who are you? And what have you done with our friend killemall?

Well, that was all it took for me to say before something went wrong again... Ruined a neck for custom build yet again... Feels good to live up to my reputation.

I am extremely happy with how it looks.

Who are you? And what have you done with our friend killemall?

Well, that was all it took for me to say before something went wrong again... Ruined a neck for custom build yet again... Feels good to live up to my reputation.

Glad you haven't been kidnapped, hope the next neck goes smoothly, how did you &$#@ up the first one?

• 2 weeks later...