KEA 2015 builds (still dragging on)

Well, I can break it down into the increments i do things in.
Day one: (assuming i already had the neck blank glued up)
Glue body
Glue scarf joint
Day two:
Rout truss rod channel, glue on ears, cut headstock to shape, cut taper to shape. Glue veneer on headstock, drill tuner holes. Glue fretboard to neck.
Rout body to shape.
Day 3
Rout nut slot, radius fretboard, fret, carve neck. Make neck template, rout neck pocket, drill bridge, rout cavities. Glue in neck.
And there it is, a guitar ready for sanding after the glue is dry.

On 13 november 2015 19:10:04, killemall8 said:

The O ring is a great idea. I am not making them on the lathe though, so i cant think of another way to do that.

Are you doing the knobs with screws to fasten them to the pot shaft? You could use a drill (preferably a drill press or a drill in a stand) with a rod or drill bit mounted backwards to screw the knob onto and then use needle files of varying diameter to file grooves in the knob.  Start by cutting a thin groove with a knife to let the files have something to hold on to in the beginning. Another way of getting a contrasting black stripe would be to laminate an ebony veneer between two layers of whatever wood you're going to make the knobs from. 

17 hours ago, pukko said:

Are you doing the knobs with screws to fasten them to the pot shaft? You could use a drill (preferably a drill press or a drill in a stand) with a rod or drill bit mounted backwards to screw the knob onto and then use needle files of varying diameter to file grooves in the knob.  Start by cutting a thin groove with a knife to let the files have something to hold on to in the beginning. Another way of getting a contrasting black stripe would be to laminate an ebony veneer between two layers of whatever wood you're going to make the knobs from. 

I could do that, but the goal of an O ring wasnt really for the contrast, it is for grip, like the hipshot knobs.
I am going to do some more testing of making knobs this week.

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Luis, how the heck did you keep orange padauk dust out of the maple that is right next to it in the neck of the olive ash guitar?

SR

BTW, nice composition in the shot of the three guitars in the leaves.

sr

I didnt really put too much thought into it. I havnt really had that problem before. I have found as long as you really sand along the grain and blow it out with the air compressor often, it doenst stain the maple.

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That green is so so wrong Luis. Seriously! The cleanliness and sharpness of your work is exemplary.

Now get raking you untidy git! haha

The massive amount of leaves has not fallen yet, so we wait until they are all done. Or else you have to rake twice a day as they fall.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like i have been working non stop, but i dont really have anything to show for it.
I did get a neck done for a macasasar ebony EXP. I'll get some pics of that tomorrow.
I also just realized i havnt sold a guitar for about 3 months, and i have 5 guitars sitting here right now. I guess i have been really bad on the business end by spending a ton when i am not selling.

That the top looks amazing almost goes without saying, so I won't dwell on that.

Your fretboard edges look more consistent and cleaner. Have you been spending more time improving that side of your work? Wish I could afford what shipping would cost for some of your veneer, Luis. Even posting a couple of beers to ScottR is prohibitively expensive these days, never mind large flat fragile veneer!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That the top looks amazing almost goes without saying, so I won't dwell on that.

Your fretboard edges look more consistent and cleaner. Have you been spending more time improving that side of your work? Wish I could afford what shipping would cost for some of your veneer, Luis. Even posting a couple of beers to ScottR is prohibitively expensive these days, never mind large flat fragile veneer!

Thank you sir.
Actually, in the pics the fretboard/ fret edges dont look nearly as clean and polished as they do in person.
I have always really focused on a lot of attention and detaill there. But now that  i think about it, i probably never posted pictures of the side of the fretboards after the work was actually done. I usually take pics of that part before i do any fretwork, when i have only rouged in the bevel with a file.