KEA 2015 builds (still dragging on)

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Well, I guessed you hadn't dressed the corners. Your work is good as a "spot the difference" to figure out what you're improving on from guitar to guitar. What's that gunk next to the frets in the upper positions? Are you gluing frets in now?

No gluing for me. Its actually tape and buffing compound residue from when i buffed the frets and had it taped off. Should come off quickly with a wiping with mineral spirits.

Judging by the EXIF info, there are a number of things you could probably do to help that one. Primarily I think lighting is the key though. Shiny things easily overexpose. Do you shoot raw with that camera and adjust back at the desktop? I tend to use aperture priority mode a lot for glory pics, generally for a narrow depth of field and plenty of bokeh like you're getting a fair bit of. Can you actually get different lenses for that model....? A nice fast 50mm is on my list to improve photography. Thing is, more in the toybox is good and all, but playing around with your lighting and getting a feel for what works best is free and far more important.

I bet you bought that model for the ridiculously cool moonshots, eh? ;-)

We just upgraded to a Canon EOS100D for ProjectGuitar.com work and it's really showing results. Totally better than our old workhorse 1000D, which is maybe 8yrs old now. Having control over the aperture makes a difference, definitely. You could probably pick up an old DSLR body and kit lens for a couple of hundred....another hundred for a fast 50mm lens and you're golden.

I've just spent three hours shooting with the 100D, making truss rods. I hope I chose appropriate settings....I don't think I was shooting raw....

The only reason i have been doing it is because there is this whole new fad about those hipshot hardtails. People for some reason think they are the best looking and feeling bridge out there and htey like the low feel. So i have been doing it to make it feel lower like them. ON this one, the customer specifically asked to have it recessed.
I personally think those hipshot bridges are extremely overrated and i despise working with them and making guitars with them.

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Other than a TOM, what bridge do you prefer then?

SR

None, good sir! That is the only one i really prefer.

I finally got the detail work done on this 7 string. It had been sitting there for a while becuase i had a committed buyer who wasnt sure what pickups he was going to put in it, only to find out he couldnt pay for it.
So i threw some duncan nazgul/ sentient pickups in it and called it good.
It is really cloudy, so the burl doesnt show its true figurte.

walnut%20burl%20031_zpsxikbvcf2.jpg
walnut%20burl%20026_zps55qo24vt.jpg
walnut%20burl%20021_zpszakbxcpd.jpg
walnut%20burl%20020_zpspwhjvsiw.jpg
walnut%20burl%20019_zpst0iw1u6v.jpg
walnut%20burl%20018_zpslnxhrsac.jpg
walnut%20burl%20017_zpsb8vdr7t9.jpg
walnut%20burl%20014_zpsnps5bmhc.jpg
walnut%20burl%20011_zpsbrzjw8st.jpg
walnut%20burl%20010_zpskzsfjhyu.jpg
walnut%20burl%20009_zpsltp8mvds.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buter said:

Yeah, bring me a few, dude. I'll take you fishing while you're here.

Cheers

Buter

Sold! Come take your pick.

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

I'm sure that is more than you want to keep in inventory..........but you gotta admit, they make for some great pictures.

SR

Indeed, good sir. I always enjoy getting family pictures of them when i have  bunch on hand. I just added another one to the bunch today as well.
Olive ash EXP. Maple and mahogany neck. I used some macassar ebony veneer between the scarf and i really like the way it came out.

Olive%20ash%203%20December%20011_zps7pkk
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20010_zpskykj
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20014_zpseynp
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20012_zpsjsub
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20009_zpsdmaf
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20008_zpsitne
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20007_zps6et9
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20002_zps8gcs
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20004_zpsuoo4
Olive%20ash%203%20December%20003_zpswzmr

I have the olive ash burl strung up for testing before i finish sand it. This one is it. The neck, playability and feel is exactly what i have been looking to get. Every now and then i make one that just feels so much more natural and perfect while you play it. I cant wait to get this one oiled up and ready to go.