KEA 2015 builds (still dragging on)

I think i have figured it out. Slowly over time i started going to a more C shaped neck instead of a U shaped neck. I started to have too much material on the sides. I also started going back to a little thinner necks.

Getting the final sanding done on the olive ash tomorrow. Should be able to hit it with oil too.

I found that the lower edge of the fingerboard benefitted from a little rolling, at least for basses anyway. It makes the fret ends virtually invisible to my fingers and changed the feel enormously. My point is that the entire profile includes the fingerboard and string placement. I'm not too much of a fan of U shapes either, however on 4-string basses I am....mostly from the lack of width I think.

You know how it is though Luis; you get customers wanting more C profiles, so then you transition over to that....then they start demanding U profiles. Bastards the lot of them! haha

All of my instruments have defined personalities, mostly from the bridge type (TOMs vs. low profile) and neck profile (C, U, flat-thin). These all make the instrument play me differently. I appreciate them all for how they inspire me to play.

Well, as this year comes to an end, my building might also.
I am applying for a county job this week. If i get it, then i wont have time for guitars anymore, and within about 2 months have to move into an apartment.
If i dont get the job, then i might be able to finish off 2 more guitars as i look for another job that i am willing to do.

There was an off-site article that was referenced a lot by people, however that was about ten years ago. Absolutely zero idea where that article was now. I agree though, it would be a great topic to cover especially since I am going to have to build a simple but effective lighting setup for PG stuff. I might be able to set up a small work area in the spring to help support future publishing work, and like everything I'll be documenting the nuts and bolts. Setting up a work area or whatever is the basic information people want to read about after all.

• Like 2

So,
Just a little update for now. I applied for a full time job last week, but it is not too likely that i will get it.
So i will probably be doing some building until i can find a real job.
I still currently only have 1 guitar in progress. It's a bubinga superstrat. No pics yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

You big tease........tell us it's a new bubinga SS and then show us the mahogany side for the next few frames. Really nice joinery going on in those frames too. And the bubinga was worth waiting for.

Your photography has been getting really good lately too. Have you been practicing?

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

You big tease........tell us it's a new bubinga SS and then show us the mahogany side for the next few frames. Really nice joinery going on in those frames too. And the bubinga was worth waiting for.

Your photography has been getting really good lately too. Have you been practicing?

SR

Thanks Scott.
Ive actually taken less pictures than ever recently. I used to take a large amount  of outdoor and wildlife photos. I have lost interest in it lately though.