Back 2 Black

Hi there,

after two years of inactivity, I'm back to woodworking. This time I've decided to make something simple, just to get the grips again, although I've noticed that's not necessary. This is like ride a bike, you learn but never forget.

000.jpg

So let's start... wood choice is:

- Alder body
- Flamed maple, mahogany and rock maple, 5 pieces laminated neck.
- Ebony fretboard

001.jpg

I also got some new tools...

002.jpg

I need to cut this rock maple blank in two parts, as it will be the core of the neck.

004.jpg

I've made a jig to keep the saw straight...

005.jpg

And it worked very well... :D

006.jpg

I also got a japanese saw, it works like a charm... but this cut took about 5 hours. It's called rock maple for a reason.

007.jpg

I feel like I've saved a lot of wood.

008.jpg

A router planner jig to set up the thickness...

009.jpg

And a flat sanding block I did from an old wardrobe... worked very well.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Then I drawn roughly the contour on the pieces...

015.jpg

And routed the front part

016.jpg

Here you go.

017.jpg

And here the mockup:

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

After sanding...

022.jpg

Truss-rod channel routed...

023.jpg

Fits nicely...

024.jpg

Glueing the ears to the headstock...

025.jpg

026.jpg

And the headstock first layer

027.jpg

028.jpg

I want to add two more veneers to the headstock in order to make a pseudo binding. I don't have much wood, so I need to bookmatch this remain from the neck...

029.jpg

030.jpg

And some binding for the fretboard...

031.jpg

032.jpg

Here the three veneers, now they are glueing.

033.jpg

And that's what I did so far... hope you like it.

I will follow this. Your builds are always very clean and nice. Looking forward to this tis one evolve

I will follow this. Your builds are always very clean and nice. Looking forward to this tis one evolve

Indeed, and likewise.

I thought I had a penchant for doing things the long hard way, but your resawing methods and perseverance are awe inspiring! Very clever tool guides and work aids too.

SR

I thought I had a penchant for doing things the long hard way, but your resawing methods and perseverance are awe inspiring! Very clever tool guides and work aids too.

SR

Glad you appreciate the hard work, that cut reached the limits of my patient. I seriously thought on going to a carpenter, which could make that cut in a minute, but since I don't know any carpenter here in Vienna, I was afraid about losing the whole day looking for someone who speak english and start kinda friendship or at least having some confidence... so finally decided to spend the time cutting rather than hunting. There in Spain it was easier, also had a car to transport wood stuff and so on, but here I feel a little bit alone and limited in these aspects.

I can't imagine being that far removed from home.

I am glad you have gotten to a point where you can resume building though.

SR

One should go to other countries just for pleasure, not because the needs... I was waiting for two years to have a place where I can build guitars, otherwise my life wouldn't make any sense. :)

Man, 5 hours for 1 cut!!?? you sir, have some serious patience. I consider myself pretty patient but that is just absurd to me! I always love my bandsaw more and more every day.

Glad building still feels natural to you. I go a few weeks without working on guitars and i forget a lot of things.

Man, 5 hours for 1 cut!!?? you sir, have some serious patience. I consider myself pretty patient but that is just absurd to me! I always love my bandsaw more and more every day.

Glad building still feels natural to you. I go a few weeks without working on guitars and i forget a lot of things.

That's not absurd, that's insane... <_< I wish I could have those pretty cool machinery you guys have, but to make one guitar per year I think is not worth. I envy people who can build a batch of 5-10 guitars per year, that's kinda dreamy for me right now.

Is that a proper shop I see? :huh: Or I am I miss remembering you not having a real shop.

No, it's just a crappy bench I've made with an old heavy desk and half cheap wardrobe... all in the living room.

I have to finish before the winter comes, cause is the only room with heating. <_<

I remember balcony pictures.

SR

That was there in Spain, I really miss my balcony... ^_^ But here I have more space to work, which is cooler I guess.

Edited by psikoT

The raised eyes and the reflection off them is a nice bit of inspiration from nowhere....I have been wracking my brain trying to think of the word for that, but come up blank. Help!

Does that epoxy dry hard enough? The problem I've found with "glue" epoxies is that they retain a small degree of plasticity when cured. I guess that this is what makes them a good glue....not the best for a neck joint or whatever, but as a general purpose glue. Just curious about that....I've used black cyanoacrylate before which was designed for a different purpose to inlaying, but given the small amount of infill it needed it worked perfectly well as will this. I used a glue epoxy for a burl fill once - never again.

I've found that if you use just a bit less catalyst/hardener than called for it will dry rock hard. That sounds counterintuitive to me, but when I posted that finding here a few years back, several members chimed in and confirmed that is indeed the way it works.

SR

Does that epoxy dry hard enough? The problem I've found with "glue" epoxies is that they retain a small degree of plasticity when cured. I guess that this is what makes them a good glue....not the best for a neck joint or whatever, but as a general purpose glue. Just curious about that....I've used black cyanoacrylate before which was designed for a different purpose to inlaying, but given the small amount of infill it needed it worked perfectly well as will this. I used a glue epoxy for a burl fill once - never again.

It needs time to cure, but in 72 h it's hard like a stone. I use it on repairs and inlays, never as glue. There's another one which dries in 5 minutes but it's a crap, I wouldn't recommend it.

I've found that if you use just a bit less catalyst/hardener than called for it will dry rock hard. That sounds counterintuitive to me, but when I posted that finding here a few years back, several members chimed in and confirmed that is indeed the way it works.

SR

That's interesting... I never reach the 50/50 with the hardener. Good to know.