Back 2 Black

Hi,

epic fail which turned in a cool feature, I guess... :blush

The bone had big pores and the epoxi has spread from the inner side, also the ebony dust got into them from the front side, so it's kinda mess but looks cool IMO...

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

I can repeat the process easily, but still deciding if keep it...

I must say that it was intended to be white as hell...

What to do... hmm

Yeah, serendipity... it stays, so keep on working.

Headstock trimmed...

054.jpg

I had to use this crappy board for a template, there was no MDF in the shop...

055.jpg

That crack will go away after thickness properly...

056.jpg

Love the triple veneer in the headstock, any clue on how to keep clean the maple inside the ebony? Otherwise, it will get an aged look, which is also ok...

057.jpg

And that's all for now... I will try to make some progress this weekend, stay tuned! ^^

The jointer beds in my workshop are perfect places for me to put wood offcuts...until I need to use the jointer :rolleyes:

There are never enough flat surfaces in a workshop.

I reckon a lot of home builders without access to a good workshop or large power tools could take a lot of inspiration from psikoT's hand-tooled builds. :peace

Hi, thanks for comments! :)

Prostheta is right, having a clean workspace helps a lot to focus on things... I personally hate to work with sawdust flying around, so YES, I clean after every task. Actually, I spend a big part of the whole session just sweeping. ^^

Glad you find my work inspiring, I'm just a poor hobbyist and learning on every build. I would love to have a workshop with heavy machinery and spend the rest of my life building guitars... but just for pleasure, never as business.

I can't clean my work areas up. I'm rubbish at that. I have found that making a pile of all my tools and making them all point the same direction feels like I've done something significant. Problem is, those piles become shaving magnets so I have to apply compressed air to the affected region until the problem is "less concentrated".

• Like 1

Really like were this is going. One suggestion though, if it is OK. The truss rod cover is really nice. However I would make it a tad wider so that the maple line is in line with the fretboard maple binding. The offset in the lines really catches the eye in a bad way and its a pity as there is so much more really nice stuff to look at here

I beg to differ, but only on personal aesthetic reasons. The main part of the headstock doesn't have a bold unifying aspect like the fingerboard and trussrod cover do. At least, in that last photo they don't. The Maple laminate of the headcap is a little subdued and out of plane. I think the disjoint between the cover and fingerboard helps as it doesn't create an overly strong visual theme that the rest of the instrument doesn't follow. I'd maybe consider a chamfer either side of the headstock next to the tuners though. That would give the Maple laminate a small reveal to tie up the other features, perhaps. That brings the laminate onto the same plane as the cover and the fingerboard. The disjoint between the three can of itself be a feature, same as how asymmetry is just as relevant as symmetry.

When I first looked, I saw the same thing Peter did. Then I thought that while having the binding and the beveled reveal line up would be cool, it wasn't necessary to carry the theme. Carl's idea has merit as well. After reading these comments and staring at the pic something else started nagging me. The bevel at the end of the fretboard falls below the level of the trussrod cover so the eye has to step back up as it follows the lines created.

Frankly, once it is assembled the lines of the strings will break it all up visually anyway, and we'll never notice these picky little quirks whether psikoT acts upon this advice he's been given or carries on with his original plan and blows us all away like his last build did. Judging by his previous work, he knows exactly how he wants this to look.

SR

Really like were this is going. One suggestion though, if it is OK. The truss rod cover is really nice. However I would make it a tad wider so that the maple line is in line with the fretboard maple binding. The offset in the lines really catches the eye in a bad way and its a pity as there is so much more really nice stuff to look at here

I already thought about that and got the same conclusion as Prostheta. Since it will not be in the same plane, I would never get that continuity you're suggesting, so I finally decided to break it on purpose. There's another detail which makes it even harder, and it's that the cover is slightly higher than the fretboard... so I try to avoid crappy joints. But you know, that's something interesting to think about for the next build: making the cover as an extension of the fretboard. I wouldn't do it with bindings though, as I don't have proper tools to reach that precision level.

The body will be solid black top, no binding planned, so I try to keep the headstock as simple as possible...

After reading these comments and staring at the pic something else started nagging me. The bevel at the end of the fretboard falls below the level of the trussrod cover so the eye has to step back up as it follows the lines created.

Well, you got me thinking... <_< but to make it super cool, the curve should start on the fretboard, at least the general shape. And now it's too late... I guess. :mellow:

i like the body shape... :P

IMG_0096_zpsnjljnenk.jpg

It's so damn hard to be unique! Its a bit like Nitros first and my NorthStar, similar designs, meaning both designers have excellent taste!

• Like 2

It's so damn hard to be unique! Its a bit like Nitros first and my NorthStar, similar designs, meaning both designers have excellent taste!

Guitars are like typography, maybe they look similar but have unique character... actually, you will see how, even having similar body shape, can be totally different. I know that because is not the first guitar I build with this body... I just want to keep the mystery until the end, as Scott does. ^^

• Like 1