Icedfirefly learning experience

Agreed. When using high power/high speed cutting tools the last thing you want is not to be able to see what you're doing clearly, or have your movement restricted. You also have no way to secure the workpiece inside the box.

The gloves in themselves are a hazard when using power tools.

The curtained-off area inside the room is a good idea, although the dust will accumulate very quickly inside such a small enclosed space.

Do you have any opportunity to work outside when using the router?

You right guys

The box I only used it to sand with my hands, not with power tools, but after sanding for a while it was not really comfortable, so I just stored things inside the box and finished sanding out of it.

Anyway, i got a good idea how to put the courtain... I will make it today.

@Curtisa, outside my apartment it's just the street, and the waking area is so small I can't even put my bike on it... So until I move to a more apt place, this is what I have :(

Cheers

The enclosed box idea possibly has merit when you're doing the hand sanding of a body, so don't throw the idea out straght away. Sanding timber throws up lots of superfine airborne dust, which at best settles on everything in the room, and at worst ends up in your lungs. Anything that limits the amount of dust that gets into the air before you have a chance to contain it is always a good thing.

@Curtisa, outside my apartment it's just the street, and the waking area is so small I can't even put my bike on it... So until I move to a more apt place, this is what I have :(

Shame. Maybe you could turn your doorstep into a woodworking street performance venue? ;):lol:

oh yeah! i`m not going to let a small thing like not having enough space stop me... i will just find the way :) and thanks to all your experience i`m sure i will do it as safely as i can.

Well, if i just open the windows people will see me working there :)

On a side note, i walked all the hardware stores on my city, couldn`t get the router bits :( i will try Barcelona, maybe tomorrow.

On the bright side, i found a place that sell all kind of wood near my house, maybe 15 blocks away...

I forgot to tell you guys, when i went to buy the wood in Barcelona, the owner of the place told me that he didnt like to sell to guitarrist because they take too much time and he didn`t have time, he acted like it was a burden to sell me the piece of wood, not really a nice attitude... i didn`t feel good at all, but since i was there and spend money and more important my time to get there (It`s a 2 hours and half rountrip) i bought the wood, but from now on i will buy near home or if needed through internet...

Anyway, i will keep working on my worbench now :)

Cheers!!

Having a place to work is the most important aspect of the whole thing and the first thing you have to solve. I know it's not easy, as I worked always at home. I have to finish my current build before the winter comes, cause I'm using the only room with heating.

I bought the router bits in Comercial Pazos, they have online shop... proper router bits are not easy to find in hardware shops.

A guarantee of safety for yourself (if not your workpiece) is the bare minimum. Routing a loose workpiece is liable to end up flying somewhere you don't want it, plus issues with router bits breaking, router shooting off, etc. Nice idea as mentioned, but yeah; not safe.

Hello guys, a little update.

Put some shower courtain around the workbench and did a router planer and did my first try at it.

2djqufs.jpg

svlwck.jpg

2wqz69s.jpg

dljj8l.jpg

The board is longer and thicker than i need, so i tried on it instead of a scrap wood, there is still plenty of room for more tries.

Im routing down about 2 mm. but i can`t get a uniform surface, i think it`s because i`m putting some pressure on the router and then it cuts uneven.

I watched many tutorials about router planer on youtube, but the ones i found explain how to make the router planer, not so much about how to use it properly.

Thanks!!

It`s the first time i use a router so not sure about how to use, maybe i should lower the bit 1mm more, and then put no pressure on it? just move it side to side?

Weigh down the edges of the shower curtain. If that flaps around, you will happily whizz a fine plume of dust into the room....

I forget....was an extractor not an option? There are plenty of dustbin-format extractors which will easily handle most router schmoo.

Don't press down on it. The additional pressure combined with the weight will deflect (bend) the rails that the router rides on, causing it to rout too deeply. If the rails are bending because of the weight of the router on its own, you need heavier/stiffer rails. Deflection will cause the router-planer setup to cut a very slight concave profile in the board centred around the area of maximum deflection.

Rout one direction only; against the direction of the bit. If the router is allowed to run away with itself, it will do. Disastrously most of the time.

Thanks Prostheta.

Yeah, i did put some wood pieces at the end of the courtain to keep it pressed to the floor, so far so good.

I think the problem with the router was my pressure, now i just move it side to side, i put a level on the rails and keep checking it from time to time to be sure all is at the same level.

I did mostly going to the same side, but a few times went the other way, from now then i will go as you said, against the direction of the bit.

I finished the top, looks mostly good, but there are a few part where i don`t know what happened but looks like the router tear the wood down

125rss0.jpg

I think i will need to sand it quite a bit to fix that...

Hey, nice sawdust shower... I can imagine the mess inside. I saw you have the desk in a corner, maybe that's better place for routing. And you should cover from the floor to the ceiling if you want to keep the room clean... anyway, that's perseverance. I love it!

That planning you're doing in a raw wood is not going to be easy. Looking forward to the result.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks PsikoT, i followed your suggestion about how to do it and i think it went well!

Now... before i start hacking away the sides to prepare to join them... is there a proper position that the 2 blocks should go? i mean, watching the 2 pieces is not really clear to me which way the grain goes (i did read somewhere that if you cut it from a plank you should turn one of the blocks 180 degrees and then join them) i dont know if i cant put the pieces any way i want or if by doing so later can be harder to sand it or... i dont know, it`s like i think Scott said in other thread, i don`t know what i don`t know :)

Thanks!

För the body, I rather go for look if I'm finishing it in a see through finish. Hov do the grain line up? Will it be attractive? Etc. For thence I take much more care and worry about grain alignment, flipping the pieces the right way.

I need to wait a few days for the new router bits to get home...

So, in the meantime, for the next step (Joining the parts) i need big clamps, i asked in the hardware store and the big ones are a bit expensive there, and i saw tutorials on youtube about DIY clamps... anyone had any experience with them? if i can make good ones for cheaper than bought new ones, it`s money that i can spend in other tools...

Thanks!