5 string bass build (it's gonna be HUGE in Japan!)

a2k

13 hours ago, Norris said:

Unfinished project of the month? That's all I'm likely to enter! :D

Fabulous bass btw - I don't think I've commented on your build thread yet, but it's providing lots of inspiration for my next build (if I ever get there!) ... which will be a bass, being a bass player and all that

Thanks! I enjoy following along with your project - it's amazing how much seeing others work through this speeds up learning. I look forward to seeing your bass. I plan on building a guitar at some point soon (because I want a guitar - ideally something PRS inspired so i gotta get my build chops up), but the next project is going to be another bass. 

There's a few ways of going about a PRS-ish build. Obviously the carve is a big factor in that, and probably the most intensive bit of the process. Unlike a Gibson, the heels are more forgiving. You still need to know how to dial in the optimal neck angle though. That's probably the most important trick aside from the large aesthetic load.

• Like 1

That's always great to hear, and totally what ProjectGuitar.com is about....the more we share of our work at all levels from beginner to professional, the more we all learn on how to move forward from wherever we are right now, you know? Tell us more about your build as it comes to you and I'm sure it'll turn out just as sweetly. :thumb:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Wow this is an amazing bass for your first project. Definitely very inspirational! I intend to build a neck through bass in the near future and this really helped! 

Thanks! I think I documented almost every step (and almost every mistake) so hopefully it shows a good picture of the process. Let me know if you have any questions  (because, you know, after doing this once I'm totally an expert :thumb:). I look forward to seeing your build!

Edited by a2k
I'm still learning how speak Engrish good.
  • Like 1

One definite advantage I have found about vocalising and documenting is that you quantify your work. It really helps rattle out where you might be unsure on a decision or where your mind sits on something. If all thoughts are internalised, you end up mentally fence-sitting until you either commit to doing the work or turning the idea over continuously.

Other people have therapy for that kind of thing.

I kept a notebook in Evernote with a checklist I worked through. I would move items from the big checklist into a smaller "this week" checklist, and then make sure I had all of the measurements/drawings/plans written down before I walked into the shop. Still, I can't tell you how many nights over the past 6 months that I've lain in bed turning over ideas and overthinking little details. 

Parts are starting to arrive for project #2. I'm excited for the project and to get back in the shop. Build thread still to come...

32 minutes ago, a2k said:

I kept a notebook in Evernote with a checklist I worked through. I would move items from the big checklist into a smaller "this week" checklist, and then make sure I had all of the measurements/drawings/plans written down before I walked into the shop. Still, I can't tell you how many nights over the past 6 months that I've lain in bed turning over ideas and overthinking little details. 

Parts are starting to arrive for project #2. I'm excited for the project and to get back in the shop. Build thread still to come...

Wow I wish I could be as organised as you! Looking forward to your next project!

11 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Wow I wish I could be as organised as you! Looking forward to your next project!

I'm going to print out your comment and send it to my mom with a note that says "See, you had nothing to worry about!" 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. In many ways I almost feel like this should be published as an article of sorts. It genuinely speaks of - and to - a lot of very true points for guitar-building enthusiasts. Inspiring, humble, honest and a dream achieved. That's what it's all about.

• Like 1