First Build - The "Nozcaster"

Norris

Ahhhh....this is exactly what happened to us at work (also furniture) on something or other that I can't remember now. This was compressed fibres expanding and causing a raised line after the application of a water-based wax emulsion. Almost the same thing. I should know better.

Thanks @JayGunn. That's a fantastic opening post!

It was probably dry a long time ago, but it's only now that the microscopic crease is showing itself.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:19 PM, JayGunn said:

What happens is that people use Titebond or Elmer's yellow glue or equivalent for edge gluing 90% of the time, and these glues cure by losing the water. The glue hardens in hours, but the water soaks into both pieces being glued, swelling them slightly at the joint, and wicks away in days or weeks until the moisture content at the glue line matches the rest of the plank. You can plane the wood you have glued up in a matter of hours, but the wood immediately adjacent to the glue line will shrink very slowly afterward and you'll see that slightly sunken line.

Worst comes to the worst, since you're using a lacquer you can drop fill the line. The solvents in the lacquer will burn into the existing finish, so when you cut it back flat the area won't show witness lines.

Double check this with your instructor. I'm sure that (s)he'll be kicking themselves when you explain JayGunn's analysis.

hah I think I'm having the same thing happen to the strat that I'm building now, the primer coats used to be completely flat but now an outline of the neck section that I glued in is slowly starting to show. Probably because I've been leaving her in the sun for too long over the past week

Knobs grain filled...

20170610_150725_zps2c8oxngb.thumb.jpg.e0ae3ebb60272bb4ee76075eb2829384.jpg

Then dyed & starting on the sanding sealer...

20170614_192738_zpsceykxq5l.thumb.jpg.481dcb930e9b0a7bdc46a503b9a762ed.jpg

I also started polishing the body last night using the first 1500 grit ("rust") Micro Mesh pad. The join line has pretty much gone now. There is a tiny bit of burn through to the sanding sealer around a few of the screw holes where the lacquer seemed to cling to the edges - that won't be a problem as it'll be under the bridge. If I get any more burn through I'll have to slap another couple of coats of lacquer on, but we are ok so far. I'll see if I've got time to start on the back tonight.

In other news the neck had its final coat of lacquer a day or two ago. Slowly, but still moving forwards :)

Edited by Norris
  • Like 2

@JayGunn I've used West Systems for all kinds of stuff, and wonder if there's a way to tell when it goes bad? Is it usually the resin or hardener or both? I supposed I can always just dose out some and try a test piece if it hasn't been used in awhile to see what happens.

2 hours ago, curtisa said:

Oooerrr, Mrs Slocombe!

For those not familiar with UK tv shows from the 70s, this is a reference to an innuendo-based comedy show "Are You Being Served?" :)

However looking at the wikipedia entry, it seems that it was broadcast to the commonwealth & some former colonies :D

On 6/16/2017 at 4:13 AM, curtisa said:

Oooerrr, Mrs Slocombe!

On 6/16/2017 at 7:04 AM, Norris said:

For those not familiar with UK tv shows from the 70s, this is a reference to an innuendo-based comedy show "Are You Being Served?" :)

However looking at the wikipedia entry, it seems that it was broadcast to the commonwealth & some former colonies :D

I laughed out loud when I read @curtisa Mrs Slocombe's comment- I had a room mate in college that was all over those old UK comedies-I immediately thought of Mrs Slocombe's "kitty cat" (so as not to sound vulgar) 

and back to guitar building- your knobs are looking good @Norris. And I am man enough to say it. :)

and regarding @JayGunn 's comment regarding water based glues- I just so happen to be watching tv late night this weekend- and on a program called "how its made" they did a segment on electric guitar- featuring Godin guitars. Interestingly they point out that a water based glue is used to  glue up the body- the wood expands- and they put the blanks up for 2 months before routing the body. 

For what its worth- thought it was interesting- and since I mention it- here is the episode. gotta love you tube

• Like 1

Cautionary tale. If you are using Micro Mesh you should use it wet. However keep the wet away from any unsealed edges, screw holes, etc. or it will lift your lacquer!

Luckily I spotted it before it became too bad and it's only affected areas that will be covered by the bridge plate. It has settled down over night and I'll leave it a few days to dry out fully. I won't be using any more Micro Mesh. It's flat enough and I'll just polish it all out now

Additional recommendation on top of that, @Norris; buy some basic soap, such as the white blocks of ivory soap. No moisturisers, perfume or other crap. Basic. Adding some of that into the water for wet sanding, the reduced surface tension and lubricity of soap eliminates finish from "corning up" on your sandpaper or MicroMesh.

On 6/20/2017 at 0:54 AM, Mr Natural said:

and regarding @JayGunn 's comment regarding water based glues- I just so happen to be watching tv late night this weekend- and on a program called "how its made" they did a segment on electric guitar- featuring Godin guitars. Interestingly they point out that a water based glue is used to  glue up the body- the wood expands- and they put the blanks up for 2 months before routing the body.

I noticed that also. Two months is quite excessive, but in a manufacturing context this is simply producing bodies for stock. They can afford to build in that sort of margin for themselves. Commendable.

Just now, Prostheta said:

Additional recommendation on top of that, @Norris; buy some basic soap, such as the white blocks of ivory soap. No moisturisers, perfume or other crap. Basic. Adding some of that into the water for wet sanding, the reduced surface tension and lubricity of soap eliminates finish from "corning up" on your sandpaper or MicroMesh.

Thanks. I didn't actually have that issue because I rinsed the pad every 30 seconds or so. They are not cheap so I want them to last.

Another tip then: I used a little detergent (Ecover - we like this planet) as recommended in the instructions and it helped to reduce vacuum-based friction, as did lifting one edge of the pad very slightly 

• Like 1

I'm one of those non-conformists that likes to use micro-mesh dry. I can see what I've done more easily and don't have the issue of getting water into raw wood edges. I keep a stiff bristle brush upside down nearby and run the micro mesh over that every few minutes. Then wipe that on your pant legs and back to work.

SR

• Like 1