The Uber

komodo

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

Looks great all dressed up. Is that a tiny bear leaning on the apothecary jar?

SR

Ha! Cheesecloth wiper, but I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled now!  Maybe I caught a gremlin?!  Drinking the denatured alcohol?!

image.jpeg

Edited by komodo

Finally used my SATA clone to get some shellac sealer coars on.  WAY more fun than cans! This thing is on fire! 

I know this is blasphemy, but I'm kinda tired of it right now. Tons of hours has left me weary and I'm enjoying the effect building way too much. Once it's done I'll be excited again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

NICE!

Nothing like a bit of sunshine to bring the quilt to life.

I know what you mean about weariness setting in as you race down the home stretch. The hours pile up and you have a NEED to finish if only to let your brain rest.

And then a few days after it's over and you find yourself with free time again........I think, well what the hell am I going to do now?

SR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottR said:

NICE!

Nothing like a bit of sunshine to bring the quilt to life.

I know what you mean about weariness setting in as you race down the home stretch. The hours pile up and you have a NEED to finish if only to let your brain rest.

And then a few days after it's over and you find yourself with free time again........I think, well what the hell am I going to do now?

SR

So true !!!

Coupla little air bubbles on the front, tiny gap on the binding. I'll lay these today and see where I'm at. Unfortunately I probably won't get another spray day for awhile. Good news is my inexperience had me spraying pretty light coats when I thought they were heavier. Have to dig into that trigger and slow down to lay it thick. So, my coats were thin and flashing off fast. It's all quite smooth and really satisfying. I did accidentally press up against the headstock face once and about pooped when I saw it. A quick thick blast and leave it alone let it flow back out nicely.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wife calls and says she's off work early and wanted me to meet her for a date.  Uh . . . Of all the times?!  Two days of family Thanksgiving time should fix her up good.

image.jpeg

I spraying #1 while I'm at it. It suffers from lots of small defects and a pretty poor attempt at refinishing it to solid black before the clear. Black is so brutal in it's honesty, I'm just happy to get it painted, and some new hardware. Believe me she's happy considering where she came from. She's at least lacquered instead of rattle white (with black vinyl tape zebra stripes :blink:), and 24.75" vs 25.5" scale, real TOM bridge, and probably a Nazgul pup.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is just getting better all of the time. How close to your imagined colours has this turned out now you've laid clear on? 

Well, remember I wanted it transparent black before. LOL. Then I was going to do an edge burst, more of a tobacco with little to no red. So this has evolved into this. As far as the tiger eye color, pretty much dead on. My reference point for tiger eye finish is David Mykas doublecut.  

And now I wait. As the nitro shrinks, I can see a couple areas that could use minor filling. Nitro drop fills would need repeated applications, I'm considering CA drop fills after an initial light leveling sand. Then maybe 1-2 good flow coats on top? Sound like a plan?

Edited by komodo

I dunno...

I had a ziricote topped strat-ish build that jumped off my bench right after I finished polishing it and landed faced down on my concrete garage floor. I had the same plan as you and at first it looked good, invisible even. But the nitro kept shrinking and the CA didn't. It was visible again in a few days . I ended up sanding the finish past the damage and re-shooting it.

I've got a spot to fill as well and I plan to put a heavy drop of nitro on it, then mostly level it and then spray it with blush remover. All this before the leveling sand. In a couple of weeks I'll clean whatever is left during the leveling sand.

SR