Guitar Of The Month - October 2015

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, a photo posting to our Facebook and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creation to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting opens. Polls close on the 1st of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up ;-)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by professional builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

• 2 weeks later...

This is my entry for the October 2015 Guitar of the Month Contest - 

I have a little 1-man shop in a 10X15 Tuffshed in my back yard.  I call my guitar line "V16 Guitars" after my favorite Cadillacs of the 1930's. I was the Luthier and shop manager for Chandler Gutiars in the early '90's, and have recently started to build again, this time on my own.  I have probably built at least 100 guitars in my 32 years of Luthiery.

This model I call the ES-O "Berkeley". It is a semi-hollow with a flat sawn Eastern Maple/quarter-sawn Douglas Fir sandwich core overlaid with a 7-ply top and back.  The hand inlaid fingerboard is Brazilian Rosewood slotted to a 25" scale. The binding, pickup rings, pickguard, and trussrod cover are also made from 1-piece of Brazilian Rosewood.  The 5-ply neck is made from quarter-sawn Rock Maple, Purple Heart, and Genuine Mahogany. The humbuckers are V16 "777" models that I scatter wind myself to approximately 7.77K ohm, and load with 49.2mm butyrate bobbins, and AlNiCo V magnets.  

You can view the entire build process at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1135001589850754.1073741866.730681670282750&type=3 

I hope you enjoy the entry, and vote for me!!!

1.JPG

1a.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Guitar Name: Molly
  • Body: Mahogany with Maple Cap
  • Neck : 5 ply Maple / Jatoba
  • Fretboard: Jatoba with Maple binding 22 frets no inlay with Aluminum side dots
  • Scale 24.75” Weight 10lbs 1oz
  • Pair of  late 70’s Ibanez Super 58 pick ups
  • Interesting features Hand made brass nut. Brass block to add some mass in the ass if you will. All control covers and truss rod covers are held on with magnets to make access easy and fast on tour.
  • This was my 5th scratch build (the first 4 I built 2 of each at the same time so this might be my third build)
  • This was built in my own shop in my basement it was also finished in my garage so I had to manage dust for that.
  • This build was for my new Son in Law. My Daughter asked me to make him a guitar for there wedding which was not going to happen with my touring and other issues so we shot for the first anniversary. So cost was an issue, her having twins throwing money on a custom guitar was not really feasible. So I recycled some parts when possible.  It was designed by (well improved in my opinion ) by me I basically took my #1 and put the things on it I would change.
  • I am far from a professional I am more artist then engineer. I am self-taught as you can be in the era of the Internet. I can’t do a lot but wood and paint make sense to me unlike most people and math.

Here is a link to the build http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48138-my-first-base-model-build-a-pair-of-mollys/#comment-542413

IMG_8836_zpszvnletcq.jpg

IMG_8840_zpsjpvfgjbv.jpg

IMG_8842_zpsmpn1mnlk.jpg

IMG_8845_zpshfyioocj.jpg

IMG_8846_zpscsywz7ce.jpg

IMG_8850_zpsmkjsfo0z.jpg

IMG_8855_zpslqc72gad.jpg

IMG_8858_zps0y72a42u.jpg