Can't Seem To Get This "Just Right"?!

verhoevenc

Have you tried the lower one, but with a side-mounted jack?

Edit: I think that is what is looking a little "off" to me - the unequal spacing between the lower knob and the jack socket. Side mounting the jack socket in the lower corner might give it a cleaner look

Edited by Norris

I dunno Chris....there is nothing much wrong with that.

Two minor things come to mind. My first impression was it looked a bit long waisted.... like the little chorus angel figurines at Christmas time? (Sorry that mental image just popped into my head). Maybe reducing the length just a tad will balance the look better for you?

The other impression I get at a quick glance is the explorer-ish vibe to the way it flows. With that image in mind you expect to see the treble horn as the longer of the two. Since it is not what your mind expects to see, it is hunting for what doesn't look quite right....maybe familiar is a better word.

What if you offset the waist a bit. Bring the bass side down a bit closer to the bridge and see what that does to the lines.

SR

In my experience, removing a lot of details during the design phase helps. It makes you more focused on the over all balance. I took the liberty to try something. I shortened the "tail" with 1-1.5" and to tie thing in with the quite "bulky" head (nothing wrong, I like the head shape...)  I expanded the waist ever so slightly. To me this have more balance and go better together with the head shape

Skaumlrmavbild%202015-09-29%20kl.%2008.1

• Like 1

It's funny you mention the explorer cause I have this drawing here on another layer that I can turn on/off to use as some form of reference for such a large-bodied instrument:

explorercomparison_zpsw9sllw6h.png

Whats even funnier is using that explorer prompted me to extend the tail a few days ago; the opposite of what Swedish Luthier did :P that said, it's been a shorter tail longer than its been a long tail, so I'm by no means against it. I've also been growing the waist too. It started at about 5.5" and I think I last left it at 6" which is admittedly still small.

I really like the idea of removing all those details, it really did give some nice perspective. Would you mind sending me that file so I can compare it in Rhino to my current versions?

Also, seeing it without the pickguard has also given me some crazy carved-top version ideas hahaha.

Best, 

Chris

• Like 1

I can see what you all mean, and it's definitely a case of trying to balance out certain things without it ending up drawing too much off established themes. Personally the lower bout looks a little close to the strings. It'll sit weirdly when seated because of the super slender waist. (edit: I missed that Peter dealt with the same issue)

The front is very angular with strong straight lines. There feels like a disconnect between the rear and the horns because of that. Equally, the "angle plus a corner" style of horns does the same thing. If the bottom rear corner were sharp(er) to reflect that motif it might tie up better.

The tail feels like "a lot of shape with nothing happening". Explorers seem to get away with that because there's a relationship between the back and front sections. Some kind of long tailpiece like old Firebirds might bridge that gap, or some sort of "thing" extending from the bridge to the rear.

Would you mind sending me that file so I can compare it in Rhino to my current versions?

I would be happy to do so... Just PM me your email adress and it will be on its way. Mind you, its a very rough thing. And as I didn't know what scale length you used I made it a 25". 

Edited by SwedishLuthier

• 1 month later...

SUPER funny... Peter's drawings were almost exactly on with mine hahaha. One had a slightly longer tail, one slightly shorter. In general his moved the neck farther out of the body too... but that could be because he assumed 25" and I had 25.5" scale.

Either way, I went with my bottom design with the slightest of tweaks and printed it out today. Slap it to some cardboard and see how it feels. I think I may be on to something here! It sits well on the knee, it balances a little back heavy (neck should fix that hahaha), but most notably the shape completely avoids any interaction with the, for lack of a better term, beast. It will be an extremely comfortable sitter guitar. As for standing... aren't all guitars comfortable standing instruments if they don't weight 400lbs?

It feels a bit like a "mini explorer" if that makes sense?

D3435D17-1409-4314-9589-9C1847795F5A.png

I believe I have finally gotten it "just right." The only bad part is I love the retro feel of the pickguard... but also love the almost death metal look of Peter's drawing without it. Looks like I'll have to build some twins maybe hahaha.

Best,

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow this makes me feel old. Those boomerang pups were used in that V from 79-81 and I clearly remember being in the store and playing that guitar. Those pups were replaced by Dirty Fingers pups which I'm pretty sure I have one. Around '83 Gibson released the Moderne, the V and the Explorer all in korina as the Heritage series. They weren't made long and those fetch a good $5-10k now. 

The crazy V that I refinished along with my recent build was initially traced directly from one of those Heritage V's laying on the floor of the music store! That's my #1 and holds a special place for me.

Sorry for the mini-hijack, that brings back some memories!