This is my mint condition silver tone. There is not a scratch on it and looks brand new. It was made between 1959-1963. This guitar has a nice mellow sound and a good crunchy sound under distortion. I'll post a sound test soon. Post your vintage instruments here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Bowhit111
Needed to add pictures

This a 1958 club 50. The same guitar used by John Lennon at the beginning of the Beatles. This guitar is egg shell fragile. But it has a great sound. I'll put up a sound test soon for this guitar

Edited by Bowhit111
It was missing pictures

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile but here is another guitar I recently acquired which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

this is my mint condition Yamaha SG-2. This thing is perfect, it looks brand new!!!

this guitar was used by the famous guitarist Link Wray who wrote the song "rumble" the only song to be banned from radio.

there will be a sound test uploaded to YouTube soon.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I wish, I love these early yamaha's.

here's s some more info on my sg-2. It was made in 1967, everything on the guitar you see is original even the tremolo arm which I know are usually missing.

the only part on my guitar that might not be original are the knobs. I've looked all over the place to see if any others have knobs like mine. But no luck yet but who knows.

You know what? I turned the swear filter off a few weeks back, and I almost dropped a full-on "HF bomb" there.

But seriously. That IS something of true vintage worth. Have you reconciled yourself with the fact that the nut looks like it's cut a little high vs. not wanting to touch it for the fear of bringing down all kinds of hell on yourself for doing so?

I don't even LIKE mandolins, but look at it. Just look at it.

Many Japanese instruments are a world apart, @Bowhit111; my personal vice is instruments made in the Matsumoku factory from the back end of the 70s through to the mid-80s when it closed down. The Aria Pro II guitars and basses that came out of there had some truly astounding examples of hitting all the right points. Maybe not the most highly-appointed or detailed instruments, but nothing comes close to the playability, solidity and robust design many of those had. I reckon they could be classed as a "new vintage". My personal white whale is an Aria Pro II SB-R150:

56548f9175686_263481.jpg.83bf56d7927fe70

Thing is, if one came up and I had €1000-1500 available (yeah, I wish!) to snag it....I couldn't; partially because I know that I could build one, but mostly because I wouldn't want to be disappointed by the real thing. I know it's probably not a healthy way to think.....

Prostheta, you're absolutely right, I don't want to futz with it! It plays well, all things considered. The action isn't as low as my Weber, but it's still easier to play than any guitar. :) And this thing doesn't have a truss rod either. I just don't trust anyone (certainly not myself) to mess with it.

We were at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville on my birthday and I was playing it. My wife, who is a lover of antiques, said, "You must buy that and hang it on the wall, it's a piece of art and history!". Who was I to disagree?

• Like 1

Truss rods weren't invented for a couple of years after that. Can't remember if it actually was 1918 or 1922. Until that point, you only ever had reinforcement, such as an internal laminate of Maple or Ebony where you'd expect a truss rod to be. Martin were using steel sections!

Yeah, that is something special alright. You clearly have good choice in wives, which on the face of it sounds a bit weird.

• Like 1

Not as cool as the other stuff posted but heres mine. 

The teisco is kinda suprising if I where to toss some decent tuners on it I would have decent guitar.  It has a nice raunch blues tone to it.

The wah is a old Thomas organ I got it as a lot of 3 or 4 non working Crybaby's of various years it does truely have a different tone its much more mellow than the newer versions.  

And then the case it's a old vox case and of it wasn't such a wreck it might be worth something.

IMG_20151124_174314_939.thumb.jpg.ded028

FB_IMG_1441725183270.jpg

Edit:  I somehow uploaded the car and can't delete it if a mod sees fit I would love it to be deleted

<pros: suck it up. the car stays! haha>

• Like 1

Man, I still can't believe how awesome that looks after the refurb....especially given the deathly state it was in prior! Even the brass bridge seems to have come out of the other side looking like a champ.

We replaced the preamp in there too, didn't we? There were some fun issues with distorting and I've temporarily forgotten how those came about....

21 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Man, I still can't believe how awesome that looks after the refurb....especially given the deathly state it was in prior! Even the brass bridge seems to have come out of the other side looking like a champ.

We replaced the preamp in there too, didn't we? There were some fun issues with distorting and I've temporarily forgotten how those came about....

I've been... erm... letting the nitro-cellulose cure a bit :). I was actually thinking about it the other day.

At the moment the replacement Rautia Guitars MB-1E pickup seems to be too hot for the pre-amp (both the original & the Prostheta repro), causing distortion if I do anything but tickle the strings. I need to fit some in-line resistors to calm it down a bit, but that would be a long trial-and-error process to get the right values. It's about time I got it sorted though, as I'd like to gig it again (just for special occasions though!)

14 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Huh, it shouldn't be too hot by a long way. That +9v/-9v supply should handle anything thrown at it. I'll send you a new preamp if we can't figure out what's going on. That would at the very least identify if it is (or isn't) the problem.

It does exactly the same whichever of the two pre-amps I use. It's got to be the pickup - it's the only component that has changed. Unfortunately the original pickup has gone open circuit, although does make a very, very quiet sound

• 1 month later...