Cthulhu

komodo

45 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Takes me back to my Airfix kit days...

All wheels and hinges ended up being permanently stuck as lumps of melted plastic...

6 hours ago, curtisa said:

My problem was playing with the completed model and expecting it to magically stay in one piece despite my animated VROOOOOOOMS and divebombs.

We blew them up with firecrackers. 

33 minutes ago, komodo said:

We blew them up with firecrackers

I was a good boy and never did that. 😇

By the time I had spendable money firecrackers were only sold between Christmas and New Year.

Fret board cut to size and rough radius. I’m aiming for a compound 16”-20”.

Truss rod from Allied, I sprung for the wood sleeve this time. 

30F56B0C-62BE-4599-B6E6-5E54574D740F.jpeg

9DD7AB7F-9415-4360-876F-FB420609B973.jpeg

Damn Scott, brutal. lmao

Besides shaping the board, I've been doing some experiments with Japanese surface burn technique Shao Sugi Ban to get a nice black finish on the ash body. It gets close, but some embers can continue to burn deep in the pores and take out chunks of wood. If it was presoaked or I dumped water on it, that could be minimized. But I have a better idea.

I've done ebonizing on oak quite a bit using ferric solutions, but ash doesn't have the same tannin content for the reaction. But, you can soak the wood first in a tannin solution, in this case a quebracho bark tea, and then do the ferric solution. After that, I'll probably use some form of hardwax oil and be done. It will probably be the easiest guitar finish ever, and the blackest black with none of the blue tint you get from dyes.

• Like 1

Three down. I should probably make a real time video cutting out each piece and make @ScottR watch it.

Tips: Procut lube is great. Beeswax works good too and maybe even lasts longer, but Procut is more slippery.

722DFE91-11BB-4881-B498-C7733E0CF259.jpeg

• Like 2

Definitely a zen state, until you break a blade, or drop a delicate piece. It actually all goes pretty quickly. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about the next scribing stage. There are several ways to do it.  Don’t love the usual glue down and scribe, it’s too dense and too many thin bits.

I’ve made up a way in my head that I’ve never heard of, but may try. Lightly glue down a thin white layer of paper, maybe a print of the board from Illustrator with a ghost placement. Then set each cut pearl piece in place one at a time, hold it while I trace with a fine Sharpie. Then, I’d have a super clear area to route, right through the paper. I can even fill it in with pencil to really be clear of the excavation areas It’s very easy to get confused. Need thin paper and thin glue that won’t gum bits but stays put.

618C467A-2A6F-4971-8498-9D6114721937.jpeg

51 minutes ago, komodo said:

I’ve made up a way in my head that I’ve never heard of, but may try. Lightly glue down a thin white layer of paper, maybe a print of the board from Illustrator with a ghost placement. Then set each cut pearl piece in place one at a time, hold it while I trace with a fine Sharpie. Then, I’d have a super clear area to route, right through the paper. I can even fill it in with pencil to really be clear of the excavation areas It’s very easy to get confused. Need thin paper and thin glue that won’t gum bits but stays put.

The last time I did it, I covered my board with white adhesive backed vinyl, lightly glued the pearl in place and scribed around it.The I peeled the cut vinyl out which left an inlay shaped dark fretboard showing through. I routed away the wood I could see, and peeled the vinyl stencil off. Sounds like a similar concept to your idea.

sR

On 4/5/2020 at 1:08 AM, curtisa said:

My problem was playing with the completed model and expecting it to magically stay in one piece despite my animated VROOOOOOOMS and divebombs.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, komodo said:

We blew them up with firecrackers. 

my gawd I thought it was only me.  early memory breaking a motercycle that my dad, me and my brother just glued up... don't tell them. 

I like the idea of how you plan to cut the channels.  storing that for later.

also... where do you get your mop?  (if you don't mind)  some fantastic looking stuff and what seems like large pieces.

I’ve got a big stash, from multiple sources. StewMac pearl is good maybe not inexpensive. Allied has great stuff but maybe not the whitest. I bought a large amount off Ebay that was silvery with lots of figure but of varying thickness. I’ve just gone through what I had and pulled an excess pile I’m about to list on Ebay. Probably 6-7oz for $100-120.

@ScottR That does sound similar. I could just carefully apply tape and do the same thing. If I use paper, I’m going to use the old brewers trick of applying labels to bottles. Paint the back with milk, apply. Milk is essentially glue.

The component of milk that acts as a glue is casein. Before polymer technology came to the fore and made protein glues less relevant, milk was separated and treated with lime to this end. You can do the same with milk, vinegar and sodium bicarbonate to make a simple cheap glue. Proper kitchen tech that our significant others will roll their eyes about. Heat milk, add a quarter by volume of vinegar till it separates, squeeze off the liquid then mix with about 1/8th by volume of bicarb. It's a great glue to teach kids how to make and use because it's completely food safe.

7 hours ago, komodo said:

I’ve got a big stash, from multiple sources. StewMac pearl is good maybe not inexpensive. Allied has great stuff but maybe not the whitest. I bought a large amount off Ebay that was silvery with lots of figure but of varying thickness. I’ve just gone through what I had and pulled an excess pile I’m about to list on Ebay. Probably 6-7oz for $100-120.

@ScottR That does sound similar. I could just carefully apply tape and do the same thing. If I use paper, I’m going to use the old brewers trick of applying labels to bottles. Paint the back with milk, apply. Milk is essentially glue.

I've had mixed results with what i've come across... and it makes total sense that what you've got there is sort of cherry picked.  Every time I order stuff I seem to get a few outstanding pieces... and then quite a bit of 'bla'.  Pictures are so hard to gauge.  I was wondering if perhaps you were going to a wholesaler like gondor and then picking thru to get decent stuff.  might try that next.  thanks for the response.

Cthulhu drew first blood. Actually it may be the first time ever cutting pearl.

Cutting is really not that hard. Today was the first day I felt a little intimidation realizing that I’m gonna have to get this into the board.

A84481BC-3806-4D14-89C4-BE66589C41C8.jpeg

• Like 1

A tad of your DNA is required to every build to make it your own. Surviving the sting of The Great Dreamer keeping your wits is an unusual act of grace. Iä! Iä!

• Like 1

A month ago I wouldn't be able to imagine even attempting something like this... but with the time I got now on my hands due to the pandemic, this seems like the proper way of spending it haha... can't wait to see it done, insane.